Deep Cycle Battery talk

jedimaster

How many years and or charges do you get out of your deep cycles? I have a car quest group 27 and its going on 3 years now. Feels like its not holding its charge as long as it used to. Thinking of replacing/adding a second one. I have heard relaly good things about the Everstarts from wallyworld.

Edited by jedimaster

On my last boat I got 8 years out of a pair of "Walleye 1" deep cycles. They were still good when I replaced them but I didn't want to push them too far.

The cranking battery also lasted 8 years but my old brain can't remember what make it was.

Keep the fluid topped up and recharge after every use.

Battery is running my trolling motor it gets discharged regularly probbaly 4 -5 times per month from April - Oct.. So I guess thats about 85 full discharges(Full meaning down to about 50% Plus or minus), and 3 winters

Edited by jedimaster

This will be the 7th year with the Merc branded battery that came with my boat. It runs a Motorguide W45 on my 16.5 foot Fish Hawk all day still with no problem. I charge it after every use and check the electrolite level regularly. We fish 2 to 3 days every week. Still takes and holds a good charge so far.

Imo, you should be looking at the AGM type batteries. You say that you are fully discharging your current battery, this couuld be what "killed" your current battery so quickly if its a standard lead battery. The AGM is supposed to handle a complete drain, and not effect the life. Most chargers have a setting for these type of batterys, mine reads deep cycle/agm. A standard battery only likes to be drained to about 70% where the agm can be 100%. I am trying a AGM this year also, and Parts source has some of them on sale currently.