Tipping questions

postman

Hi fellow fishermen,

I've been a member for awhile but don't post much because I live too far south (Kansas) to be useful. I do come up once a year for 1 week of fishing (mostly Ontario). We've been going up for 14 years now and I love it up there but I'm tied to work and family down south. If anyone has any guidelines for tipping a pilot or even a camp manager on a fly-in trip, it would be helpful. Typically, we usually throw the pilot $30 for each way and the camp manager $50 for our 6-man group. To be honest, I don't know if that's too much or too little. Nobody has ever complained but I want to be sure I'm within reason.

Thanks for the help,

Postman

I think what you are tipping seems reasonable to me, I work for tips and I wish most people thought about it a little more often, this is how some people make the majority of their money.

As for not posting much, I lived in Kansas for ten years and it definitely is not the best place to fish but I know there are some huge cats in the Kansas and Missouri rivers, it would be interesting to read a report on that. And also some of the lakes are good for largemouth bass. And I believe there is some good walleye fishing just to the north in Iowa in some resevoir. What part of Kansas do you live in? I lived in Bonner Springs, and Overland park areas.

I think what you are tipping seems reasonable to me, I work for tips and I wish most people thought about it a little more often, this is how some people make the majority of their money.

As for not posting much, I lived in Kansas for ten years and it definitely is not the best place to fish but I know there are some huge cats in the Kansas and Missouri rivers, it would be interesting to read a report on that. And also some of the lakes are good for largemouth bass. And I believe there is some good walleye fishing just to the north in Iowa in some resevoir. What part of Kansas do you live in? I lived in Bonner Springs, and Overland park areas.

I live in Wichita Ks. I don't catfish much with the exception of maybe once a year when I take dad. Also ,the board only recognizes me as a member since this year but I've actually posted in the years past usually asking questions as it related to Ontario. My problem, its generally a few times a year right before we head up to Ontario (18days, 1 hour and 20 minutes and 28 seconds to go). I wish we had a board like this one but my guess is the lack of good fishing that hurts the board locally. You might see 3 or 4 posts a week. But anyways, thanks to everyone who helped me with my tipping question.

Good luck fishing,

Postman

You got to ask Art about the tipping stuff.I just hand him my wallet when it comes to check out time.Seriously,if you were treated well and the food was good and they went out of their way to make your stay good ,tip as if it was your own son or daughter doing thier summer job for school money.Its a pretty seasonal affair being in the fishing/tourist industry and part of that is making sure that your spot will be there next year.If it is not worth it for the dockhand or cook to return your trip may not be as good next year because of it.We stayed at a camp a few years back that was absolutly horrible( I wont mention the name cause its under new management and I dont want to taint the name).The dockboy was the best I have evre seen but the management was cheap,grumpy and rude.The dock boy made out,the management lost,we never went back..

Joe

When I went on my fly-in to Kaby Lake we put in $100 per man (12 of us). $400 was given to the dockhands (3 guys), $400 to the house keeping staff (4 girls), & $400 to the kitchen staff (4 girls). 2 of the girls from the kitchen staff also worked in house keeping. They were very happy with their tip because it was the biggest they ever got. That surprised me that it was there biggest since the tip was about 9% of the cost of our trip (not including taxes). The tip we gave was in US dollars.

We didn't tip the pilot because he didn't do any loop de loops or barrel rolls. LOL :D

My brother-in-law & I also gave $40 US just to 1 of the dock hands because he told us of a perch hotspot that helped us win the biggest & most perch for the trip (a bet between the 12 of us).

Edited by Zib

Thanks again for the information. To be honest, I've never done the meals at the fly-in where we go and we're pretty efficient group. The last fly in where we've been going was kinda light staff some years and we usually handled our own gas but the last time we went, they had someone filling our gas tank every night. This is the person I think deserves the tip but I didn't know what was appropriate for tipping. During our most recent fly ins, the following people I would see deserve a tip but unsure on the amount:

The people loading the gear onto plane

The people taking gear to cabin

The people that fill the gas tank every night

The pilot

I definitely have a problem. It's a Saturday night and I can't sleep. I can't stop thinking about our trip.

Thanks again,

Postman

tip the pilot tip the pilot!!!!!

Actually it depends on how much work is involved and how many times you come in contact with the person. The pilot that flies over the lake and points to few places or flies were you ask him to get's alittle more than the pilot that does not. The man who moves the luggage on to the plane is a smaller tip than the man that humps your stuff from the dock to the lodge. The man who gasses your boat and leaves you a few places were you might catch fish get the biggist tip. I give an average tip that will leave an average impression in the mind of the average service. I leave a great tip for people that go past their job requirements because it means they have taken the time to show an active interest in my level of enjoyment on my vacation. The reason that I have not put numbers to this is because to some people a $20.00 bill is a higher/lower amount of money to the Tipper. If your trip is on a budget then your tip will be on the same budget if you are at a 5 star fly in then make sure you tip accordingly. I have always found that when ever I call for a return trip it has been met with open arms and the staff that has held on from years past remembered my name. We sometimes forget that we will spend $500.00 on a camera to take home some good memories but for few extra tipping bucks you can leave a few good memories with people that you will look forward to seeing the next year.

Art