My First ...

mikeymikey

Hello everybody!

Here is my First 2007 fishing report.

My first time fishing for Pike.

My first time fishing at the Toronto Centre Island.

My First time using baitcast setup.

Date is May 9th, mainly cloud covered weather.

Arrived at the Ward's Island around 8am'ish and started fishing right away walking toward the Central Island and to Hanlan Island.

Since it was somewhat cloud covered, I wanted to try top-water lure but did see any action with it. So I switched back and forth between Rapala Husky Jerk & X-Rap and had a good luck with it.

I have to say, way pikes go after baits are very exciting. Yet I was some what disapointed with fight it gave. Pike gave up fight real fast and just get dragged in but goes nuts when i put it on the ground.

All I can say is, it was a lot of walk around the island but it was very worth it as my FIRST experience was extremely satisfying!

Here are the proof...

The 1st...

491917966_f89256c959.jpg

2nd...

491918154_1d84fb4017.jpg

3rd...

491918694_d1be7a8a39.jpg

4th...

491918902_bf70c6dedf.jpg

5th...

491919174_40c293455a.jpg

6th...

491919456_de9ac6d281.jpg

and the last...

491937025_c203022644.jpg

Thank you.

What I want to know is...

-----

One more thing, is there a proper way to hold a baitcast reel/rod?

My hand get tired quick, maybe my hand is too small for this reel?

Wrong grip?

-----

oh one more again...

How long before these pike bite again? after being hooked.

Edited by mikeymikey

Oh ya I 've caught lots of Pike with that colour Rapala.

WTG on catching your first Pike. :clapping:

If you get a big enough Pike it will give you a decent battle remember the fish are a little slower when the spring water temps are cool so the fish may not always want to tango.

Thanks for the report :thumbsup_anim:

MTP

nice!

this makes no sense, i was out all day, even left tdot same time as u, lol, cept we began at hanlans, and got nothing nor seen anything, oh man, even used same lures, ad7&^&^d7, only diff is the color on ur husky jerk,

congrats....

URBY,Don't you get it the Newbies catch all the fish, beginners luck it happens all the time.Thats fishing :whistling:

Congrats on the first pike and a succesful outing. You're right about those hammerhandle pike...hit hard then have the same fight as a wet worksock. Wait till you tie into a big one though, all of a sudden they seem to figure out the fight thing

URBY,Don't you get it the Newbies catch all the fish, beginners luck it happens all the time.Thats fishing :whistling:

if i really think about it and calm myself, lol, then yeah thats right, i know... sorry yall, i apologize for misdirecting ur report

Edited by urbanangler

Congratulations on your first pike from the T.O Islands. There seems to be plenty of those small ones around this year (not that Urban Angler or I are catching nay of them LOL). Wonder where the large ones are hiding?

Hello everybody!

Here is my First 2007 fishing report.

My first time fishing for Pike.

My first time fishing at the Toronto Centre Island.

My First time using baitcast setup.

Seven pike is quite an accomplishment considering all thoe firsts!

There seems to be plenty of those small ones around this year (not that Urban Angler or I are catching nay of them LOL). Wonder where the large ones are hiding?

Most of the big females go back into Lake Ontario after they spawn.

Great report!

ehg

Edited by ehg

Wow what a great job for all those firsts (as ehg already said). Seemed to be all about the same size from the pics and that seems to be about the average with the odd monster here and there based on the recent reports. Last weekend the small ones seemed to be putting up a decent fight to me - lots of flipping in the water (and on land but we've all seen that story - healed nicely now thank you). I think you've convinced me to try out my baitcaster though - its been gathering dust as I don't want to drag out two rods and find out I can't use the damn thing. Maybe this is the weekend to learn :)

Thanks for the report.

My thoughts exactly Terry! I don't want to rain on your parade here, but I'm pretty sure that those Pike would have a better chance at getting to be much bigger if they weren't left on the grass/dirt. They're slippery buggers and can be a challenge to hold... practice make perfect!

HH