Boat Insurance...Darn near had a stroke...

Went in, with great reservations, to get insurance on the new boat today. Figured I should bring along my own jar of vasoline and found out instead that Sun has actually dropped their rates. SO if anyone is looking for insurance this season I suggest shopping around.

On my 17' Glastron with 115 Johnson, covered for full replacement at $32,500/2 million liability, I was paying $680 plus tax for the First Mate - Plus package from Sun Alliance.

Figured I'd get nailed for 3x that on the new 2150 Lund. I told them 50MPH max and their assessor(sp) agreed a boat that big/heavy couldn't go any faster than that. :whistling:

All said and done boat, motor, 9.9 kicker, electric trolling motor, all electronics, rod holder tracks, accessories, down riggers, $5K in fishing gear, 2 million liabilty...all with a full replacement face value of $97,000 (including tax), if someone decides to steal it all. Total premium $965 + tx. Shocked me, figuring I'd be around $2 grand. Quite happy, especially considering I pay $1700 for a 2003 Ford F150 that isn't worth more than $27000 now.

Just hopefully I never actually have to make a claim. :o

That's good news - sort of. At least you went prepared with the vaseline, thankfully you did not need it. Now this brand spanking new heavy duty boat better catch fish or I forsee a titanic-esque sinking of it. Good luck and enjoy the boat you lucky bugger. I need a few more years to pay down the mortgage and get my baby girl out of diapers before I can even think about a boat, never mind a new one.

Where did you say you kept that boat at night when you're not around? :lol:

Boat insurance isn't too bad at all, does that have a layover period or can you bring it down to the Niagara in December?

Tony

Good for you Wayne!

I pay a third of that for a boat that's only worth about 10K at the most with no coverage on gear.

So what are you going to spend the money you saved on.....maybe some flowers for the Mrs :D

Whopper

Yah that reminds me Phil.... MOTHERS Day on Sunday guys!!!

Tony...I'll leave the ropes loose for ya.

Yes all first mate policies from Royal Sun Alliance have a lay up period. West of the Ontario Border (except the west coast) Nov 1st to May 1st. East of the Ontario Border Dec 1st to April 1st.

That said it can be written out as an addendum. I'll wait 'till fall, see what the weather is looking like and then bump it to Dec 15th to cover the end of 'ski season on the Bay. Doubt I'll be doin the Niagara in the winter, but imagine you can amend the policy to cover the whole winter.

Quite happy, especially considering I pay $1700 for a 2003 Ford F150 that isn't worth more than $27000 now.

I'd say it isn't worth more than $50 :lol: , being a Ford and all :P

That's great news Wayne. This boat has been nothing but good luck for you it seems. :thumbsup_anim:

Joey