how much for fly fishing starter setup?

Jigster

Hello all, Schnaggs here.

So I took a fly fishing course this past weekend, had a blast, and are now getting addicted to this beautiful sport.. Man is it ever exciting to play a fish on the fly..!!

Anywhoo, i heard that bass pro is selling a "temple fork" outfit of rod, reel, line, and tippet for like 200 bucks, and their next level up for the whole outfit is a sage for like 400 bucks.. it would be a great help if anyone could help me on what makes and prices i should be paying to get set up!!

Yrs,

Schnaggs

I don't own a Temple Forks Outfitter rod but I was quite impressed with the rods when I lawn casted them. For the money, they seem like great rods.

I do own a Sage LE, the predecessor to the Sage Launch (most likely the one you saw in the kit). The rods are very smooth and light in hand. Sage rates the Launch as med-fast rod but to me they're more like medium. They make perfect rods for beginners and all Sage rods have a lifetime warranty - Not sure about the warranty on TFO rods. I use my LE as a backup rod now and a tool to teach the neighbourhood kids.

You might be able to save $ by buying each item individually rather than as a kit - Though I did see a St. Croix kit going for just under $200 (I think - can't remember). Slightly used or discontinued gear is another place where you can find savings. The other day I popped into Angling Specialties and saw an 8wt Sage LE going for $165 brand new (used to be $210). If you're at BPS, have a talk with Gord (formerly from Pollacks) in the fly section...He helped to set me up with a few items back when I first was learning to fly fish.

Hope this helps

Sage makes an awesome product... I have their 3100 reel and their SPL rod 3wt... great quality and great warranty. It is made of an excellent quality blank and guides and reel seat are awesome, and the best i have used. In adition the reel is alos spectacular. i bought a starter kit just to see if i liked it and i did so I went ahead and forked over the bucks for a sage. IMO it is worth the money... There is other great product out there but I am happy with sage and am going to stick with them

I have a rod and reel that I no longer use

Shakespeare Beaulite and 8.5 7-8 Pflueger Medalist. Have just never gotten around to posting on the classifieds. Brand new rod and reel was over $200. Comes with DT7 but its old.

PM me if interested.

Your pocket book will dictate what you spend but put money in the rod and line, then the reel.

Hello all, Schnaggs here.

So I took a fly fishing course this past weekend, had a blast, and are now getting addicted to this beautiful sport.. Man is it ever exciting to play a fish on the fly..!!

Anywhoo, i heard that bass pro is selling a "temple fork" outfit of rod, reel, line, and tippet for like 200 bucks, and their next level up for the whole outfit is a sage for like 400 bucks.. it would be a great help if anyone could help me on what makes and prices i should be paying to get set up!!

Yrs,

Schnaggs

Check out the classifieds on this board, I have a gently used G Loomis IM6, 6wt rod for sale, as well as a Lamson Reel/spare reel for sale.

Personally, I wouldn't be spending lottas $$$ for your first outfit. What would you have to look forward to when adding additional rods/reels.

If you have an interest PM me and we can discuss prices, etc.

John

Do not worry about prices and rod makers.

Prices – the sky is the limit.

Rod makers – they are a dime a dozen. Some are better than others. Most are in the same boat. Some are over priced.

What you need to do is to ask some questions first.

What are you going to fish for – steelhead, salmon, bass, pike or small trout?

What kind of rivers or streams will you be fishing in? Are they narrow or wide, big or small?

Will you be casting lost distances or short distances – break point is about 25/30 feet.

Determine what action you want – fast, medium or slow.

Determine the length of rod you want – dependant on how big the rivers are.

These are some of the questions you will need to ask yourself first.

Some questions will tell you what length rod to buy and what line weight. The reel comes at the end just to hold the line (in most cases).

You do not want to buy a rod for line weight 7-8 if you are going to fish for resident trout only. Line weight 7-8 are good for larger fish like steelhead or salmon.

. .

At the end, you will buy based on what you want to spend and on your emotional feelings between one rod and another rod (s). Some rods will be similar in quality and the same rods may cost more because they are more fancy. There will be many options open for you – believe me. .

I have heard people say that they want “the best bang for the buck”. I still do not know what it means. Maybe it means they are looking for a $1,000.00 rod and reel for $100.00.

And do not forget that if you ask 50 fishers for their opinion, you will get 40 that are different. So, ask questions, get info, learn/analyze, decide and buy. Also, before buying a rod, you should in person cast more than a number of rods to compare and see what each one can give you.

Today fly fishing tackle is expensive. Do not buy what may appear as a good buy because at the end it may cost you a lot more when you find out what you bought is not what you want nor need.

So do not rush in even if it might look like you are getting the best bang for the buck. I think it is called – PATIENCE.

carp-starter – good luck – you need answers first

Go into Walmart and buy the Remington(sp) 5/6 weight package deal. Less than a $100..rod..reel...backing...line...tippet. Works well, I haven't managed to break mine yet (bought the same package in a tackle shop in Yellowstone '04), casts okay and seems to reel in 2 and 3 lb bass just fine each night off the end of my dock tossing poppers and woolly buggers. When you decide you want to get heavily into it, then worry about the "prestige" of rod/reel names...