from the winnipeg free press

grt1

Global Warming is a natural cause anyways, so there's not much we can do for Polar Bears. Might as well just hunt them rather than letting them drown, unless they are showing patterns of beginning to adapt at all and migrating at all.

The Natives of Nunavut are normal citizens and are issued tags as the article describes... They also have the right to sell those tags, as happened here.

I do not see the difference if a native took the animal, or in this case someone that bought the tag took the animal... either way they were going to be hunted.

I just hope the natives got the share of the meat from the animals that were taken. And it sounds like the economy got a bit of a boost both from the sale of the tags and the fines levied.

G

The Natives of Nunavut are normal citizens and are issued tags as the article describes... They also have the right to sell those tags, as happened here.

I do not see the difference if a native took the animal, or in this case someone that bought the tag took the animal... either way they were going to be hunted.

I just hope the natives got the share of the meat from the animals that were taken. And it sounds like the economy got a bit of a boost both from the sale of the tags and the fines levied.

G

Exactly it, I would welcome those hunters back into Canada with open arms. I don't know if its the case with this situation, but I do read a lot when people do go hunting for these types of animals all over the world the meat is often donated to the local tribes,natives in the area.

I'm not opposed to the hunting, similar to grizzly quotas, there's not many given out, but there is a difference between exotic and threatened species....and I guess there's trust in the gov't bio's and we assume they are marginally competent to manage wildlife populations, although that is questionable sometimes....regardless the hunt was legal so not much to say there...

if you can afford a trophy hunt you can afford the taxidermy fees...in this case it wasn't legal to import the trophy to their home country, and given the history of offences it seems like they would know that..so what was their plan? dish out 100K to not take a trophy home

they bought the tag and hired an outfitter to guide but didnt pay the 10k + for taxidermy....most outfitters and taxidermists have a good relationship...IMO they knew what they were doing was illegal and the outfitter tipped off enviro canada

I hope the animals weren't wasted, maybe the hides will be auctioned off?.....it seems justice was delivered though, no problem with them returning to hunt because I'm sure their passports are red flagged and they will be checked out on any future visits

From studies that have been provided the polar bears numbers are diminishing because of global warming and over hunting.

I hunt and fish but will not go after species that are decreasing, it was not the permit thing I had an issue about, but rather the species they were targeting.

My understanding is that polar bear numbers are currently increasing. Although it is likely that global warming may eventually wipe them out.

There is evidence to suggest that the polar bear population is actually increasing, not that it matters to those who want to use the cute image of the bear as a mascot for agw concerns, but it would be nice if people didn't simply believe everything they hear when it relates to climate change, or the possibility thereof, o i know, things are changing, and you cans surely feel the 0.6 degree average increase in global temperature over the last 150 years. Hey, less snow, climate change, hey, more snow, climate change, hey average summer, climate change, hey, too much rain, climate change, fewer bears (or maybe more?), climate change, sigh.

Talk about selling off our resources. A Polar Bear should be priceless. You seen a Narwhal? Goddamn Unicorn of the Sea. The permits were issued to Inuit and should have to be used by them. If they don't want to cull all the tickets, well good on the Bear.

And the natives didn't move up there to make money.

The permits were issued to Inuit and should have to be used by them. If they don't want to cull all the tickets, well good on the Bear.

And the natives didn't move up there to make money.

yep, they don't care about money at all...first nations are keepers of the land...they always look out for the best interest of the land and wildlife