Ganaraska fish count ????

chessy

in 2011 there was some questions on how the numbers of the trout run went from 6313 on the counter to the mnr number of 9058 . Some of you may remember a disagreement at a public meeting on how the mnr came to these numbers .Well last year there was a big metal screen put in so no fish could get through last spring 2012 and we counted 7250 and the mnr came up with 8525. I have no idea how they came up with these numbers as they did not know there was a screen in-place to stop the fish (there was not fish at the ladder until after the counter went in ) . I still have not been able to get the "formula" for there fish count . So that is approximately a 15 percent difference last year ????

Edited by chessy

counter is now it it was in yesterday late in the day .. we now have 67 fish through the counter as of midnight last night... the water temperature is 0c as of 10 am . would have been nice if the GRCA put the boom across river the right way..

What's the right way for the boom? According to you it seems bobody does anything right lol

The boom is going to be a kid magnet if you ask me. Kids will be all over it! It. Will probably create safety issues, not prevent them!

S.

There is to be no bow in the boom it is to lead people to the shore not stuck in middle the only reason I know is the mnr engineer was scratching his head and explained how it was to go. And I know alot because I ask question there is no law on questions lol

its not meant to be straight it is to be on a angle to lead people to shore, who may get stuck on said boom .. and i am just saying what the mnr engineer said. i have been on that river for all my life and there has never been a boom there, once they identify a problem they must make it correct

Edited by chessy

Looks like that's all the angle they could get. It has to be fastened to something (the dam), so that's all the angle your gonna get. Not GRCA's fault, and it wasn't their decision to install it either. Maybe the MNR engineer should have offered some suggestions instead of standing around watching. I saw about 15 guys there, and only 2 actually working lol.

S.

lol there were only 2 guys working and if i saw that i would be driving over and asking why only two guys out of 14 working .. with that said only 4 were mnr the rest were volunteers and it was a bi yearly fall arrest course for saftey. and you may be correct but once the navagation act goes through it will need to be removed as it will not be needed ??? next time you are in the area stop by, have a good one

its not meant to be straight it is to be on a angle to lead people to shore, who may get stuck on said boom .. and i am just saying what the mnr engineer said. i have been on that river for all my life and there has never been a boom there, once they identify a problem they must make it correct

Chessy you are correct when you say you learn by asking questions. What is the purpose of the boom? What do you mean lead people to shore, who may get stuck on it. Why would somebody be on it?

I probably would not ask however why only 2 people working while 12 watch. Otherwise that's all I would be doing when I am driving around the county. (that's a laugh out loud comment)

the purpose of the boom is so people do not get washed over the dam if they capsize their boat on the water . if they do the boom is suppose to lead them to show so they do not have to fight the current )act like a weir and help you go in a certain direction at least that is what i was told when it was being installed