Is this a good deal?

Tayzak15

As I'm sure some have you have noticed, I have been looking for a longshaft 20hp'ish motor for a little while and I stumbled upon this one on Kijiji

http://sarnia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-20hp-Merc-tiller-W0QQAdIdZ450719926

So i just wanna ask you guys, if you think this is a good deal? were Mercury's a decent brand during that time frame? Does anyone notice anything negative in the pictures cause it looks like a near mint condition motor to me. WOuld really appreciate some responses here! Thank You in advanced.

My uncle has that exact motor on his Lund. Runs great. Has only ever done regular maintenance.

In the pics it looks mint

The stand it is on looks like it could be run.

Ask him if he can put a garbage can under the motor fill with water. And see how it runs.

Trust me haha If I had a vehicle down here I would go drive and check it out in a heartbeat! haha, but I'm from Timmins so I didn't bother bringing my truck down here figured It would be a moneypit with gas, parking ect especially since I'm just at school. The motor looks to be in very good condition though for the price. I was just wondering if people have ever used them before or had any positive/negative comments about this particular model. I'm in no rush to buy, however this seems like a very good deal.

Odd, he lives right behind me, lol! I could check it out for you, but I can't say I know anything about motors.

I am also heading to Toronto on Friday the 15th in the evening on my way for a weekend in Huntsville.

Edited by FishLogic

Odd, he lives right behind me, lol! I could check it out for you, but I can't say I know anything about motors.

I am also heading to Toronto on Friday the 15th in the evening on my way for a weekend in Huntsville.

Wow really? I'll try and call the guy tommorow. Is there anyway it could be paid for then I can pay you a.s.a.p if you drop it off here?

I have a test barrel here at the shop (South end of London) that I’d be willing to check it over for you? It would need to come here thou, where I could pull the plugs and do a compression test, check the lower end for water contamination and of course run the thing through its passes.

Let me know.

Dan.

I have a test barrel here at the shop (South end of London) that I’d be willing to check it over for you? It would need to come here thou, where I could pull the plugs and do a compression test, check the lower end for water contamination and of course run the thing through its passes.

Let me know.

Dan.

Would you really? could you PM me your contact information that I could give to this guy to see if he's willing to bring it to your place for a run through before I buy it?

I wish I could lol, I'm only 21 years old, you need to be 25 to rent a car for their insurance purposes.

Almost all the rental places will rent you a vehicle as long as your 21 or over. Hertz, AVIS, and Discount etc...

Edited by BillM

Is there any chance you would know anybody that routinely drives between London and Toronto as well?

Won't be able to help you out there; but if you can make the deal with this guy, I don't mind the motor sitting here until you figure out how to pick it up.

Dan.

Almost all the rental places will rent you a vehicle as long as your 21 or over. Hertz, AVIS, and Discount etc...

Oh ok I didn't know that! I was told before that it was 25. I will look into renting sometime this weekend for next week if I can't find somebody going through the area.

Hey there Dan I tried giving the guy a call but there was no answer. Im assuming hes at work. If I can get a hold of him would it be fine for him to drop it off anytime tommorow during your business hours if hes willing to do so? I just want the inspection done. I know someone that will be travelling from London to Orillia multiple times throughout the month so I'll just end up giving him the money to pay for the motor.

Hey there Dan I tried giving the guy a call but there was no answer. Im assuming hes at work. If I can get a hold of him would it be fine for him to drop it off anytime tommorow during your business hours if hes willing to do so? I just want the inspection done. I know someone that will be travelling from London to Orillia multiple times throughout the month so I'll just end up giving him the money to pay for the motor.

Yea that wouldn’t be a problem I’m here at the shop most days, Monday – Friday 7am -5:30pm.

I’ll let my employees know that this might be happening, just in case this guy shows up with the motor and I’ve gone out.

Dan.