New Reel Advice (bass)

Luke V.

Flipping and pitching are new techniques to me. This year I would like to explore them more and am designating a combo towards those two techniques. Yes I know that they are different techniques but I think I can get one combo that can do both.

As some of you may have noticed I have posted as add for a used Flipping.pitching stick. To witch I have had some great replys. (you never really know what is out there until you ask)
With that being said I have set my eyes on a Powell Max 734c. This rod is 7'3" has a heavy power and a fast tip. I think this will be a great starting point for learning this new to me technique. (thanks again Vince)

With the rod choice out of the way, my question is which reel?

Mainly I will be fishing here in the Niagara Region, Upper and Lower Niagara River, Lake O, Lake Erie.

I have done a bunch of reading and it is all leading me towards a lower gear ratio reel. Something 5:1:1-5:3:1

my price range would be around $150-200

This leaves me with lots of options. Currently I am running lots of different manufactures equipment. Have Shimano, Okuma, Abu for reels rangining for 80-300 bucks.

I will not add any Bias Error here and leave my ideas out.

Sorry for the long read.

Let the discussion begin :)

Hello Luke, I think you might want to look at a high speed reel for flipping or pitching. You want to be able to pick up the slack line as quickly as possible. I use a 7:1 ratio reel for both applications. If you can wait you can get a great deal on a reel at the Hamilton fishing swap meet, I believe it is in April and there is a tonne of bass guys there selling mostly bass tackle. Hope this helps, chris.

Hi Luke, I haven't caught that many 6-7lb. fish but the higher gear ratio has handled 5lb. fish pretty well. Most of the time you don't have much line out of your reel, and most people flip with heavy braid 50-65lb. or heavy flurocarbon 20-25lb. They also use heavy action flipping sticks with a great deal of backbone and not much tip flex. Just make sure your drag is cranked tight. chris.

Thanks Chris,

My plan is 50# Power Pro Braid

I Think that you put out a good point, 20-30 feet of line, 60 at max is what will be off the spool. Heavy drag is very important, the higher gear ratio is looking like a better choice

Peter's in St.Catharines has a few lefty Shimano Castaic's with the Insta-ingage feature. And Fishing World in Hamilton has a few righty's, in fact on sale for $149 I think. These are discontinued so if this feature interests you move quickly.

http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-castaic-sf-reels.html

Edited by Pigeontroller

definitely a higher gear ratio for flipping and pitching to pull the hawg out of the slop quick, lower gear ratios are for bigger moving baits such as cranks, swimbaits, big blades... etc

for your price brand new

Shimano Chronarch E series

New Abu Garcia Revo STX

Daiwa T3 Ballistic

buying used would be a better option

Daiwa Zillion variations except the crazy cranker

Shimano Curado E7

Shimano Chronarch D7 (best choice IMO)

As for line choice, I'd look into the new Sunline FX2 and the 832, I have used both of these line as well as the power pro, FX2 would be my first choice. The rod you chose is great and although it's a middle entry level price tag, the performance is pretty good.

Edited by ah_long

What do people think of the Revo SX http://abugarcia.com/products/reels/low-profile-baitcast-reels/revo/revo-sx

compared to the Okuma Serrano https://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/baitcast-reels-low-profile/serrano

Compared to the Shimano Curado http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/low_profile_baitcasting/Curado_E.html

compared to the Quantum Energy PT http://www.quantumfishing.com/products/1743/Energy-PT.aspx

Here is a chart i threw together for some easy comparison

Not in any specific order

reelcomparison_zps26a41e11.png

skip the quantum and the okuma..

the SX is not a bad reel but I would go with the Shimano as a proven workhorse

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocuradog.html

the number of bearings is not as important as the location and quality of the bearings

personally for $40 difference, I'll go with the new STX...

SAIL in etobicoke is having 25% off all reels, you can score the new STX for about $150

Edited by ah_long

Thanks for your input Ah-long.

For line, I was thinking superslick power pro. I will have a look at the sunline and the 832. Attached to blue label seaguar 25# leader

I will look into the sale at Sail. Seems tempting.

Would you by chance have any used reels that would fit the bill for me?

from your reel choices, seems like you're a righty and I'm a lefty, so I don't think I have anything that will fit your bill. I've never seen reels go for a steep discount in both fishing shows, more than often, you get a free hat or something like that. My suggestion would be to grab the rod from Vince and bring to rod to SAIL and try out the reels yourself. There are some things about reels that we can't put on paper, e.g. how it palms and how it balances with the rod of your choice.

25# leader seems to be too excessive, a 12~16# leader should be more than enough.. if you're flipping in slop and weedy areas, I would just forget the leader. Flipping and pitching is more of a power technique with a touch of finesse (how and where you place the bait), but most of the time the fish would hit on the first fall so the leader doesn't matter so much.

As far as reeling goes I can use both hands.

With a caster reel I like to reel right. But with a spinning reel I reel with my left hand.

Very good idea about grabbing the rod then going from there with the reel

Last year at the sportsman show I picked up a Helios for 185 no tax. He had it on for 220. :$

Edited by Luke V.

Those are definitely in contention.

Do you have any experience with them?

(Bonus the Flip N Pitch are currently on sale!)

No I don't use one right now but I know many a bass toury guy that does.

Based on your list I would be looking at the ABU's a tad more than the Shimano's as I know the ABU's are a work horse even for musky

Personally I love the Curados. Stick with the high speed ( 7:1 ) reels. Pigeontroller had a great suggestion with the Castaic. My buddy has an old one and loves it.

Dont bother with a leader, its just one more point that can fail when setting the hook or hauling big bass from cover. Straight braid is the way to go. good luck with your choice

"With a caster reel I like to reel right. But with a spinning reel I reel with my left hand."

Funny you say that as when it comes to flipping I like to use a right hand reel but everything else it's a lefty.

Edited by GBW

For $150-$200 new i would look at the Gen 3 Revo STX. I prefer the light weight and drag power of the Abu's in the sub $200 price range. In fact, i just got 2 new Gen3 STX's as punching and frogging reels.

If you are looking to spend about $300 look at a T3 Ballistic or better yet a Core.

As for line...50lb FX2 or 20lb Sniper.

Edited by musky_hunter