Ice Hut Insulation

NAW

I am in the process of converting my homemade portable in to a solid walled hut. It is 4 x 8 base, 7' tall in the center. Barn still roof.

I have the walls and roof up. Purchased all of my sealants, and paint. Gunna get that part done this weekend.

Next step is to install some insulation.

Anyone have any opinions for insulating a hut on a budget?

The best I can find right now are the 0.5" blue foam sheets you can get from Rona. I need 12 @ $7 each. $84 plus tax.

I also thought about spray foam. Something like Froth-Pak. But I think you need some special gas tanks, or something along those lines. Then if you need to replace a board in the future, you have to re-foam...

I would like to install the blue foam boards. But I am already over budget. Anyone know a place where I can get them for dirt cheap? or have any better ideas on how to insulate on a budget?

Edited by N.A.W

I work for a manufacturing company. But all of our stuff usually comes with custom formed foam packaging. Or other stuff i can't use.

I did manage to score a sheet and a half of Pink 1" think foam board. But I would prefer the thin 0.5" stuff over 1". And pink... No way.

ive got some white beeble style insulation you can have it 2'' thick and ive got easy enough to do your hut

Dan

Wow.

That's a great offer! I will consider that for sure!

2" is much thicker then what I am looking for. But as a back up, that would work OK. The white stuff tends to flake away into those little styrafoam balls. I was hoping to get the foam typle panel, because they are more durable.

Thanks very much eh! I will PM you if I can't find anything in the next few weeks,

If you can get up to Sprucedale next Friday, I have tons at the cottage. 2" white with the little blue specks in it. I think its R9. only catch is my driveway doesnt get plowed in the winter, so we'll have to carry it out about 2-300 yards to the road. I will have my sled up with me but no toboggan to haul with. PM me if youre interested. its yours for free. some is a little busted up, but there should be more than enough for what you need. LMK

Edited by steelhedrmatt

If you can get up to Sprucedale next Friday, I have tons at the cottage. 2" white with the little blue specks in it. I think its R9. only catch is my driveway doesnt get plowed in the winter, so we'll have to carry it out about 2-300 yards to the road. I will have my sled up with me but no toboggan to haul with. PM me if youre interested. its yours for free. some is a little busted up, but there should be more than enough for what you need. LMK

That's is another great offer!!

Man I love OFC!

I will PM you if I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Get the shiny tinfoil lined stuff you won't regret it . Doesn't make a mes and reflects light.. Not free but I did my 5x8 permy for 100 bucks or so

Ya, I saw that stuff. Looks pretty slick. I'll check some weekly fliers, see if that stuff goes on sale.

I want something that is going to last a long time.

I work for a manufacturing company. But all of our stuff usually comes with custom formed foam packaging. Or other stuff i can't use.

I did manage to score a sheet and a half of Pink 1" think foam board. But I would prefer the thin 0.5" stuff over 1". And pink... No way.

It's OK if it's pink inside, just glue some fur around the door. B)