Three lakes, three days.

Rod Caster

Jan 5 - Jeremy84 wakes up at 2am to drive 4hrs and picks up Joey in Callander. They head north, meet me, and off we go further north to a new-to-us lake, with no road access. This was a generally shallow lake and our targets were big pike and lots of walleye. Well....neither of those two plans really panned out. We got one decent pike and five walleye.

The slush got the better of us and I'm sure the other guys were just as beat as I was the next day. stretcher.gif

Here is a short videos of the trek.

Here are a couple photos of the walleye-cleaning.

IMG-20130106-00095_zps62624027.jpg

IMG-20130106-00096_zps4256e297.jpg

Walleye wings anyone? mmmmm

IMG-20130106-00098_zpsbcf438f4.jpg

Jan 6 - Tired! The wife also had the day off so we walked out to a nearby lake and fished for the evening. She got her PB winter walleye and I missed a big girl at the hole. Pretty slow overall but fun explaining to the wife that having slightly cold feet and nose are just a part of the game haha.

Jan 7 - Wake up at 4:30 for some *%^&$% reason. Leave home at 6 and fishing on a back-lake by 730. I've never fished this lake in winter; I have no topo maps and no electronics, so it's a drill, walk, drag and jig process, repeat many times. Eventually I chart out a pile of boulders with nearby 20 ft of water. I set up on the deep side and BAM, a 21 or 22" walleye!

100_0103_zps5659ec01.jpg

100_0105_zpsb811774e.jpg

Overall, the fishing slower than expected, but productive enough. The winds really picked up at around 1pm and coincidentally, the fish stopped biting.

I learned a few things about each of these lakes and this knowledge will surely help me in future endeavours.

Great fishing with you again Jeremy!

Edited by Rod Caster

Always look forward to fishing with you and Joey. It was nice to meet the other Jeremy as well. Thanks for all the hospitality and letting me borrow some gear when I left my taclebox in the car :wallbash: .

I always find ice fishing is that much more enjoyable if you have good company. Definatly makes the drive worthwhile.

icewallere2_zpsb0a86ad1.jpg

My first walleye through the ice didn't hurt either.

icewallere1_zps336e3cdf.jpg

The best part was that my grandfather came for a visit the next day so I was able to fry it up as a pre-course appitizer for him. He loves eating fish almost as much as he enjoys fishing.

Again, great to see you guys again.

That's great that you got to share with your Grandfather!

Forgot to mention I released that big fish. Only kept one today.

Couple more vids of today. Not sure why I couldn't post these in addition to the other one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9owbPPVXhwo&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWUkKQUEPcc&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Rod Caster

Hey I usually end up in the best shape of the year by the end of winter, so I'm not complaining...okay maybe just about my catch rates... :whistling:

Perfect, I'm looking for somebody to pull my gearwhistling.gif

Snow and trees.. I know where that trail goes!! B)

Glad the day worked for you guys!!!

You recognize that trail? that's incredible! haha.