Strange plumbing set-up

lew

I'm replacing the laundry tub & taps down in the basement and I'm kinda stumped by the old set-up.

It's a standard 2 handle tap but there's a 1/4" plastic tube that comes out of the bottom of the tap, goes about 3' along the wall and then goes inside the wall. There's a bathroom on the other side of the wall and that's where the vanity and bathroom sink is but I can't see where the tube ends up under the cabinet.

I'm on a septic system and any water from downstairs goes into the sewage sump, which is in the laundry room, and is then pumped out to the septic.

If I turn the tap on very slowly, water flows down this tube into the sump before any water comes out of the tap.

I originally thought the tube may go thru the wall into the vanity drain, but it would have been much easier to just connect it to the laundry tub drain right beside it.

Sorry for the long post but it's kinda weird to explain and I'm totally stumped on this, but I imagine I can just do away with the tube and hook up the new tub and taps in the normal way.

Here's a pic from under the tub showing the plastic tube coming out of the bottom of the tap between the 2 water supply lines.

The house is only 10 years old so it's not some weirdo antique set-up.

Any thoughts ??

003-8.jpg

It's called a "P" trap primer, every time you turn on the tap, a little bit of water runs through the plastic pipe to keep the "P" trap from drying out.

That's the trap to keep the skinky smell from coming back up through the floor drain.

Edited by Fisherman

It's called a "P" trap primer, every time you turn on the tap, a little bit of water runs through the plastic pipe to keep the "P" trap from drying out.

That's the trap to keep the skinky smell from coming back up through the floor drain.

OK, both you and Pete suggested a primer so I guess that's what it it.

I'll just have to see if the tube will work on the new tap, or does it take a tap specifically made for it ??

Edited by lew

OK, both you and Pete suggested a primer so I guess that's what it it.

I'll just have to see if the tube will work on the new tap, or does it take a tap specifically made for it ??

P Trap primer 100%

I only know this because a friend at work was just asking the same thing and I did the research. The tube usually goes into the floor drain to keep the trap topped up and prevent gasses from backing up.

Not all laundry faucets have it, some will have it optional with a threaded plug replacement.

Thanks boys, the new taps I purchased don't have the necessary fitting for this hook-up, so I'll run into town tomorrow and get the proper one. This is my 1st home with a sewage pump in the basement and I had no idea that's what the drain tube was for.

Always good to learn new stuff !!

And pylon, the system already has the one way valve in place, thanks.

Lew it looks to me like it is a faucet that was piped in for a hand spray and it is malfunctioning. They then removed the head and tucked it in a drain instead of capping it off. I have not seen a trap primer and faucet combo here in the States but the codes here are different from Canada. A true trap primer will allow a tablespoon of water thru and then shut off it is controlled from the pressure differential between being turned on and off. If water flows out of it as long as the faucet is on then I am 99% sure it is not a trap primer.

Art

Hey lew, is your new tap a laundry faucet or a lav faucet? If its a laundry faucet, chances are theres a threaded plug on the bottom. Simply remove and thread in the primer adaptor. If its a lav faucet, youll be out of luck and may need to wrangle something together.

Art, this is the old tap and the hose comes straight out of the bottom.

019.jpg

And Jigger, yes it's a laundry tub tap & it looks like you may be right ??

This is the bottom of the new tap with a plug.

And the directions showing how to remove it with an allen key.

I'm guessing I just remove the old plug with the hose in it and screw it into the opening of the new tap with some silicone tape ??

020.jpg

022.jpg

Thats exactly it lew. Problem is, the threaded adaptor is more than likely a different size now. You'll have to try it out first and, if it doesn't fit, just head over to the local hardware and try a few fittings until you get the right fit. I'd even suggest cutting off the firs few inches of tubing to bring with you so you can get the right size barbed end. A little teflon tape and you're good to go. FYI, that primer tubing works great for trailer hooks!

Looks like a trap primer to me now Lew. I have never seen that in the USA. I learned a new thing here. I checked our code book (BOCA)The set up is illegal down here it is a cross connection meaning it has the potential to allow sewage to contaminate a water valve. I would advise if you use it to make sure it does not come in contact with the drain and is 1 inch above it in case it backs up. The other thing you can do is if it is a drain that this is the only source of water you can put 1/2 cup of cooking oil down the drain. It will remain in the trap (won't evaporate) and control odors but will drain water if there is an over flow. You then do not need a trap primer.

Art

Jigger & Art, thanks guys for the info and I'll get going on this in a day or 2 when I get a chance.

Art, I can't honestly say if this is legal or not as I didn't install it, but seeing as a couple of our guys knew what it was right away, I can only assume it is. :dunno:

Its actually an indirect connection, if done properly Art. The primer probably serves a floor drain through a piece of 3/4 tubing well above the flood level rim. Only problem ive ever seen with a possibility of cross-contamination is where the plumber has rammed far too much tubing into the feeder that the primer is actually below the drain.

Edit to add that it is absolutely legal in Ontario.

Edited by Jigger

as others have stated it is for the trap. For the laundry tubs they I believe are code so you need to purchase the correct type of faucet with the line out.

I also found out after the fact and had to return a standard 4" faucet for the correct version. Problem is you can never find a nice one for the specific purpose.

Hi folks, just to put in my 2 cents, 100% it is a primer line for the floor drain which is code in Ontario.The connection at the bottom of the laundry faucet is where plumbers now connect the TSP(trap seal primer).This is totally legal in Ontario due the the fact the connection is not in direct contact with the water in the faucet at that point.Usually a plumber will use a TSP valve which is connected to the cold line feeding a fixture, this TSP valve has an air gap to prevent a cross connection ( back siphoning of pollutant water into the potable water).You can change your faucet and add the TSP valve under the tub on your cold side,the water flows through it when the faucet is turned ,it sends a small flow to the trap to keep it topped up with fresh water to prevent gasses from entering the home. You can do as one here has mentioned add oil or just send a pitcher of fresh water into the trap a couple times a month to prevent the water from going stagnant.If you are able to install the TSP valve it will be better than having to worry about the trap since the tube is already there. WC

You can do as one here has mentioned add oil or just send a pitcher of fresh water into the trap a couple times a month to prevent the water from going stagnant.

Water flows into the sewage sump from the laundy tub, washing machine, and from the downstairs bathroom, all of which are used on a regular basis.

Just curious as to why more water is required from the primer line from the tap, when there's so much water going thru the system already. Wouldn't that be more than enough to keep the P trap full ??

Water flows into the sewage sump from the laundy tub, washing machine, and from the downstairs bathroom, all of which are used on a regular basis.

Just curious as to why more water is required from the primer line from the tap, when there's so much water going thru the system already. Wouldn't that be more than enough to keep the P trap full ??

Not sure about your particular setup, but a basement floor drain will have it's own trap (just below the drain).

The only way this trap will remain full (evaporation takes place), is if you either have water running across your basement floor and down the drain, or pour it in, or have a trap primer.

I think I should ask, do you have a separate floor drain that is on the floor in your laundry room, if the answer is yes then with a flash light and the water running into the laundry tub, look down into the floor drain, there you should see water trickling or running into it from the inside wall of the pipe just above the trap.Now if all of this is so, then all your drains run into your sewage tank and not through your trap, so no water other then the TSP line goes through the trap, thus your fresh water replacement by way of TSP on the laundry faucet. WC

I think they design the faucets for us city folks who may not have other sources of water to keep our floor drains primed. It may not make economic sense to design a separate model of laundry tub faucet for those who are on a sump pump version.

Yes, the primer line does indeed flow into the floor drain.

As mentioned above, this is my 1st home on a septic system and this set-up is totally new to me but now that it's been explained it all makes perfect sense. I knew the line was there but never really gave it a 2nd thought until now when I'm gonna replace everything and wanted to make sure everything was good.

Thanks for taking the time to explain everything folks, it's always good to learn new stuff.

When I had my high efficiency " condensing" furnace installed a few years ago.. It was explained to me that the water emmited from the furnace also acts to keep the trap wet on my city water drain .. I do have floor drains in the basement, but I'm not sure if they are connected to the city drain, or to the old field bed.