NF New dog suggestions

Broker

I'm extremely happy with Ralphie, our French Bulldog. He has proven he loves the boat, loves going on trips to cabins (we'll be testing him on camping this year), is great travelling and loves the snow! I even took him tobogganing the other week and he loved that! He did not too bad in the water, but was less than a year old when we tested his swimming skills last summer, so this summer will be a better indicator.

He wasn't too bad to house train and I'm slowly teaching him other things now. He is extremely loyal and loving and loves all other dogs and really loves children!

I also noticed he is very smart. From the description of Frenchies I read when making my decision to get one, one of my drawbacks was that they said they were not very intelligent. Well I lucked out as Ralphie is very intelligent.

Edited by Joey

I have 2 field trial dogs (labs) very friendly, smart etc great all round dogs, that we train 3-4 times a week.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY designer dogs most of these breeders don't have the first clue on why a dog should be breed.

A dog should only be breed to improve the breed for instance when we breed a field trial dog its breed for talent, drive and personality not looks etc. We don't care if they're ugly HEHE! Only that they are healthy and have the previously mentions qualityies.

Seriouly consider your lifestyle so many people buy a dog because it's cute, with no consideration to what this animal will need to be happy and healthy.

All I can say is please seriously consider what breed and breeder you choose, it's a long term commitment!

x2

I've had a few dogs...all mutts. All of them have been great. As to how the dog behaves depends on the owner. Everybody has been wowed by my dogs, how the behaved, how they obey and even how they seem to know what I say to them. Some of my dogs had talents. One dog who I had when I did a lot of grouse and rabbit hunting develloped into a great hunting dog. She would yip when she saw grouse and yelp if she saw a rabbit. She would walk in front of me a few yards and would either go left when I pointed left and right when I pointed right and she would flush out the game onto the trail in front of me. However, she never liked the sound of the shotgun. She would run away when I raised the shotgun and then come back after the shot....lol.

The last dog I had was a spaniel mix with some border colley mix. Excellent dog. I got it at the SPCA. It had been mistreated by it's original owner and was very timid at the start. Would pee on the floor when someone spoke loud. Ordinarily, this would not have been a good dog to get but I guess I got her just in time. Very obedient and would obey anyone.....to a point that if my wife told it to stay put, no one else could make her do anything....even me. And the reverse was also true. This dog did shed hair year round.

Beagle.... :sarcasm::whistling:

Just busting your chops...differnt strokes for differnt folks :lol:

You know it, but I was eating Venison chile today, with the guys at the clubhouse. Four guys and six dogs on the ground, great way to spend a Saturday am. People Golf, but I'd rather do this. I can do it yearound.

Ontario Association of Beagle Clubs

I have a lot of experience with the dog world.

There is a dog out there for every lifestyle.

Big dogs are more expensive to keep and don't live as long.

Small dogs are the opposite.

Temperament is the most important. Some breeds tend to be bombproof -like retrievers and beagles, and some can be touchy -poodles, spaniels, shepherds.

Male or female.

Do you want a dog that loves water and will be wet and stinky all the time, or one that won't go in and stays dry.

Short coat or long. Shedding or not. Non shedders need to clipped every 8-12 wks. $40-60 if you can't do it yourself.

Some breeds are ravenous eaters -labs, beagles etc. this makes no food safe anywhere unless locked up

Will he be in deep snow -then you need longer legs.

Do you want a guard type dog to protect property, or a friendly one that would welcome the attention of a stranger

Purebred dogs cost about $600-$2000 as a pup from a breeder. Then come 2 more sets of shots and neutering/spaying -that's another $500-800 before he's a year old.

Getting a dog from a shelter or rescue can be an awesome experience or a terrible one. Some of these dogs have behavioural problems and have been returned. But often they come vaccinated and neutered and can be had for free or minimal cost

On average, mutts have less medical problems thanks to crossbreeding. Many purebreads are highly inbred and have more heritable problems that can lead to serious medical bills down the road.

So. My advice would be to monitor the website petfinder.com. You enter your area, and the type of dog you are looking for. They do a search of all the rescues and shelters in the area starting with the closest one to you. Don't be in a rush. There are always new dogs coming up. Take the family to go and check it out. Ask for a leash and take the dog for a test walk. Carefully touch him all over. Look for a "kind eye" and a wagging tail. Maybe even go to the local dog park to see how he interacts with other dogs.

Training once you get him home is key. Dogs follow the leader. You and everyone in you family needs to show leadership to the dog everyday. Teach him basic commands. especially "sit". A dog should be made to sit everytime you do something for him. Treat, meal, hookup to go out, then unhook. Immediate praise when he complies. Repeat the command and follow thru if he doesn't. If the dog respects you and is made to consistently listen to all commands by all members of the family, this will go a long way to ensuring minimal aggression and defiant behaviour.

There are no guarantees in the dog world. Google various breeds. Look up the "Dog Whisperer" and follow his advice.

Good dogs rarely just happen. It takes training. Like we've all been trained by our women ;)

I also noticed he is very smart. From the description of Frenchies I read when making my decision to get one, one of my drawbacks was that they said they were not very intelligent. Well I lucked out as Ralphie is very intelligent.

Gizmo thinks ,he,s a Huskey.He cant get enough snow. GO GO GO GO,or is that MUSH MUSH MUSH. :rofl2:

Never seen a small dog love snow that was over his head. :rofl2:

Where did ya go,,,,,,,,,,up pops his head. LMAO

Edited by Misfish

Gizmo thinks ,he,s a Huskey.He cant get enough snow. GO GO GO GO,or is that MUSH MUSH MUSH. :rofl2:

Never seen a small dog love snow that was over his head. :rofl2:

Where did ya go,,,,,,,,,,up pops his head. LMAO

Oh I know eh B, Ralphie just loves it when it's deep. He kind of jumps up from all fours when it's really deep, sproing, sproing :lol:

"On average, mutts have less medical problems thanks to crossbreeding. Many purebreads are highly inbred and have more heritable problems that can lead to serious medical bills down the road."

I agree with this statement.

So, check out your blood lines, etc., etc, before you buy.

I saw some dogs today that were way over inbred, by my standards, but no problems have showed up yet.

I'd take one of them home, in a flash.

Oh, by the way, it's pet posts that usually get me suspended.

So, I'm done.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/Ratz2/0gdiG93DA0nNthMfpJ.jpg

So after all I did end up buying this cute little (for now) newfie. But when I got there I got to see the mom and dad, dad was just a big newfie, then I saw the mom and her face looked exactly like a lab, turns out shes a newfie/lab mix! Perfect, a beautiful mutt :) Named him boomer, quite excited for this guy, and thanks for all the input today guys! :D

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/Ratz2/0gdiG93DA0nNthMfpJ.jpg

Gorgeous

So after all I did end up buying this cute little (for now) newfie. But when I got there I got to see the mom and dad, dad was just a big newfie, then I saw the mom and her face looked exactly like a lab, turns out shes a newfie/lab mix! Perfect, a beautiful mutt :) Named him boomer, quite excited for this guy, and thanks for all the input today guys! :D

Newfie ? You sure ? that looks like a Landseer Pup ? Really ,, apparently bi-colored Neufs are called Landseers ... I looked at some recently ...nice pup congrats !

Yeah your right, bi-coloured newfies are called landseers! But still the same breed. Dad was a landseer newf mother was a solid black newfie crossed with lab.

Yeah your right, bi-coloured newfies are called landseers! But still the same breed. Dad was a landseer newf mother was a solid black newfie crossed with lab.

Gotta Love 'Em !

It's Labradoodle or Landseer for us , I happened to see Bert today a 5 yr old Landseer who weighs in at 165 lbs, a nice and very friendly dog he was with his girlfriend Bernice 130 lbs the Burmese Mountain Dog both awesome dawgs.

congrats !!

you are now owned by one fine canid ! :)