Bowfishing for Asian Carp

bassman

This fish is in north america because of Globalization . We trade so many goods and services with the asian world that eventually , some things that we don't want are gonna get here whether we want it or not. Is it bad ? Is it good ? To all stakeholders of lakes and rivers , this is a terrible thing.

This fish will not only ruin ecosystems , but wipe out the entire water-sports industries in infected places . People wont swim, boaters won't boat , fisherman won't fish, and the water quality will go way down.

We must make sure this fish never gets here.

This fish is in north america because of Globalization . We trade so many goods and services with the asian world that eventually , some things that we don't want are gonna get here whether we want it or not. Is it bad ? Is it good ? To all stakeholders of lakes and rivers , this is a terrible thing.

This fish will not only ruin ecosystems , but wipe out the entire water-sports industries in infected places . People wont swim, boaters won't boat , fisherman won't fish, and the water quality will go way down.

We must make sure this fish never gets here.

thats pretty much impossible

they say stuff about an electric fence but what happens when there is a power outage

and wat if one jumps on shore and not knowing what this person is doing throws it onto the other side of teh barrieror i dont know if this is possible but if it lays eggs and they float through the fence and hatch there and by infected places u mean the carp might not get into some lakes and rivers?

Edited by bassmaster4

Asian Carp

Two species of Asian carp -- the bighead and silver -- were imported by catfish farmers in the 1970's to remove algae and suspended matter out of their ponds. During large floods in the early 1990s, many of the catfish farm ponds overflowed their banks, and the Asian carp were released into local waterways in the Mississippi River basin.

This is when people want to play with nature and introduce one species to combat another species, and in turn it ruined the whole ecosystem. Just like the cane toad was introduced into Australia to combat French's Cane Beetle and the Greyback Cane Beetle. Eventually, the toad multiplied like mad and killed tons of the predators because of their poison on their skin.

The fish escaped back when the Missippi flood occured in the 90 I believe,They were farmed in inclosed ponds,when the Missippi over ran her banks the fish escaped and flourished along certain parts of the missippi and Illinois river.No one introduced them.

As many fish farms exist throughout north america,these ponds are potantial disaters to occur when events such as the big flood on the missippi.

I shared some videos a while back,sterilization is the only solution to somewhat halt their progression,no barriers will hold,they offer temp solutions but no solution for halting or eliminating the species

If they hit the great lakes,its over,there will be no way to contain them

Currently they are somwhat in a contained enviroment

Cool video,but un-fortunatly there's not enough bows in North America to kill em all

Looks like a blast! Unfortunately they are invading the waters. The fish got their fair share of revenge though!

I could get into this, what great accuracy and concentration to nail one of those suckers. (I know they are carp..).

I think they must be using some sort of electrical currant to produce that type of jumping action?

Easton

That's crazy! and they better not be coming here!

There is Reports that they have been caught in Lake Erie allready ...and the Asain have been releaseing them into Lake Ont for a few years now ... :angry::angry:

If it's not one thing invading our waters, it's another!! Zebra mussels, gobies, fleas that gum up your line, to mention the better known ones, now the Asian carp, which aren't even a decent gamefish because of what they eat . . . . feeding mostly on algea & plankton, (how do you bait a hook with algea or plankton?) thus eliminating a lot of the food that the smaller life forms that sustain the larger fish in the food chain live on. But putting an electric fence up to keep them out is somewhat similar to poisoning a stretch of river to erradicate all the Lake Simcoe gobies . . . . which will work, if you get all the Lake Simcoe gobies enticed into the poisoned waters? Unfortunately, they're coming, if they aren't already here! On a brighter note though . . . . I kinda like the idea of a smart a $ $ jet-skier getting to wear one across their mug while harassing boaters, shore anglers & swimmers while wide open?

if those things get into our lakes, the Salmon Hunt is going to become the Carp Hunt. Good luck catching any chrome whatsoever. They are so prolific they will destroy the ecosystem of any body of water they get into. I doubt they will have anymore success at stopping them from entering our waterways than they did at trying to stop the goby. Nonetheless, that sure did look like fun.