NF furnace is toast!!!!

workwear

I've probably installed and replaced a couple thousand furnaces in my life. I can't argue with the cracked heat exchanger result. Codes say that it must be replaced, and it should. Check your current furnace warranty carefully. Some offer 20 year pro rated warranty's, which would still cost you, but that would be your cheapest route, if it does even apply. As mentioned above, high efficiency is the only option now. There's one and two stage option to choose from. I changed my own furnace between Xmas and new years two years ago. $1150.00 all in. If I was a contractor, 4 or 5 grand.

can i entice ya with couple of cases of beer??... :whistling: ....just priced out a goodman....tax all in 1800.00....now i need to find someone to install it...

can i entice ya with couple of cases of beer??... :whistling: ....just priced out a goodman....tax all in 1800.00....now i need to find someone to install it...

Wish I could help, but I can't. The price on my furnace was $1350.00 wholesale. Because I deal with these guys daily, and for 30+ years, I paid their cost. $950.00 for the furnace. A two stage to boot. Everyone has an advantage in life to such things. This is mine. Mind you if I ever needed a new pair of shoe laces, I'd be paying through the nose. Life is a funny thing.

Had mine replace a few years ago.

Did a ton of research as to which one to get. Settled on Lennox.

First year, already needed repair. Warranty fortunately.

Dealer recommended having him come out every fall to check and clean it.

If that is done, they would cover any parts labour for 10 yrs. $130 to do the maintenance.

He said the high efficiency furnaces are complex. They produce water and have electronics in them.

That $130 eats up most of the savings in gas. Kinda like my 4 stroke Yammy :mellow:

Had mine replace a few years ago.

Did a ton of research as to which one to get. Settled on Lennox.

First year, already needed repair. Warranty fortunately.

Dealer recommended having him come out every fall to check and clean it.

If that is done, they would cover any parts labour for 10 yrs. $130 to do the maintenance.

He said the high efficiency furnaces are complex. They produce water and have electronics in them.

That $130 eats up most of the savings in gas. Kinda like my 4 stroke Yammy :mellow:

It's the old "should I buy extended warranty or not" ordeal. There is no right answer to this. I bought it on my first high deff tv and I cashed in on a new tv with the next new technology. Basically I saved about $1500.00 on this warranty. Newer furnaces are complex appliances. There's lots to go wrong with them. Brands are all the same to me. They are all good these days. I'd buy a popular brand with local parts suppliers close by.

AT TIMES--flame rollout is not always indicative of a cracked heat exchanger

Sometimes it's starving for air and searching outside for it

Cracked heat exchangers were best tested with smoke in combustion chamber

Anyway you look at it----Fishing boards may be just to answer curiousity questions only----this is best left to licenced tradespeople

I'm sure your insurance co would agree

And if it was me---Unless your guy could tell me how he arrived at that conclusion---I'd ask again.

But that's just me.

its nights like these...children are conceived :whistling:

They are having a wild night in Yellowknife, Dave says it -45 with the wind chill!

The more you wait the colder it gets, furnaces never go in the summer, I know. And A/C never go in the winter, I know that too!