Breaking ice

Nipfisher

I got a text this morning from Dan Columby asking me if I wanted to try for musky today on Nipissing? I am laid off now, so I figured why not.

He said meet me at 11:30 and we will go open the launch. We drove from his house to the launch and when we parked I was suprised to see he had brought a spud bar, shovel, and several bags of sand/salt mix.

We broke the ice at shore and as far out as his spud bar on a rope would reach. It was close to 1" in most places. Then I shoveled the launch and we spread 4 bags of sand/salt mix.

We returned to his house to put on our floater suits and get the boat. When we returned to the launch the sand/salt had done the trick and it was bare to the pavement.

Wish I had a photo of the launch before we did the work but here are the progress shots.

p_00501.jpg

p_00502.jpg

p_00503.jpg

p_00505.jpg

Here is a short video of the Cheif Commanda in it's winter home.

th_CIMG2700.jpg

We foul hooked a cisco (lake herring) and hit 2 more (scales on hooks) but no musky on this trip. Water temps were 37-39 degrees. Air temp was -2 to -6 but sun was beautiful.

Edited by Nipfisher

Tough getting skis to chase with temps like that... even harder, doing figure 8's with your rod through the ice.

We were all set up to fish the minor period which is only about an hour. Marked a ton of big fish hanging around under the bait and tried to run our lures within those bait schools. Either way a beautiful cold day on the lake with a good buddy.