Islander Stealheader reel

icefisherman

quite certain if you called AO, they would order the bearings and swap it out for you in a couple days or less. Provided that is the problem. When c-pins start to get loud or grindy, it is usually that the bearing race are cracked. Doesn't take much since they are highly hardened carbon steel.

I've done my own on several Ravens without issue but is good to let the pro's do it and hopefully show you the first time around.

I called Josh and went to see him at AO on Saturday. I am quite a distance away from him and can't be there in person too often. Specifically requested bearing replacement and he told me he cannot do it as he doesn't have them. According to him it has to be done by Islander. He recommended calling them directly which I'll be doing today. Knowing Josh I was hoping he can do more than that, even replace the reel with a new one, as he has done in the past on similar occasions...but he didn't offer. Anyhow...will know more later today after speaking with Islander and will post here. I also think it is most likely the bearings...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

I wouldn't expect Joc to replace a used reel with a new reel, that's a stretch. I'm sure Islander will take care of you.

He absolutely would if it was obviously defective; just like he replaced Emil's wading boots.

The trouble is, he's not an "authorized Islander repair tech" (or whatever they're called) so he could be on the hook for the new reel if Islander deems it worn out or damaged.

I had trouble with some reels a few years back and he offered to replace them with 'new and improved' models or credit towards another purchase. That's when I started my Tekota collection. He also replaced two trolling rods for me this year, no questions asked. Quite simply, he's one of the easiest retailers around to deal with... if can get him to stand still for more than a minute!!

Thanks Brian. You've said better than I ever could...

Now...just spoke to Islander (Heather is the lady Josh told me to speak with). Very nice lady...she wasn't too surprised with my problem...let her hear the spin on the phone (the "draft") and she said right away she knew about this issue and can and will fix it. Problem is I have to send it to them...(not unexpected of course)...I'll have to pay shipping to them...they'll cover the return...they'll void the $20 processing and handling fee they usually charge since it is under warranty, about 10 days for the whole process to complete...she said they are busy but will put my reel to the front of the line and prioritize it...so I am shipping it out today and hope no rain in the next 10 days so I don't fee too bad not having it and not be able to fish :rolleyes:

She said she doesn't see the benefit in upgrading the bearings to ABEC7...not worth the money for the slight improvement....

I've asked about the BOCA bearings...she said if I decide to put those on, I am on my own as they don't put other bearing but their own...and she said it could be tricky removing the old bearings and if I screw up something I'll have to send the reel to them to fix it and then put the BOCA bearings myself...anyhow...I think I'll just stick with them replacing the current bearing with the same grade ones (ABEC3) unless someone can convince me in the next day or two why it is worth paying $70 extra for the upgrade to ABEC7 while the reel is in Vancouver.

So far good service on the Islander side....hope I can say the same when I get my reel back....will post.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

My friend replaced his Islander bearings a few years ago. He got AngSpec to order the bearings from Islander and Tom put them in. I think the total (parts + labour) was around $15-$20 for the Abec 3 ones.

I've been running my Abec 3 bearings since 1998 and honestly can't find a reason to upgrade to the more expensive barden bearings that Islander also uses. I have not lubed the bearings in over 12yrs with anything nor have I ever taken them out of the spool to clean. Essentially the only cleaning I have ever done to them was washing/spinning the reel in the river to get dirt and sand out of the backplate (if you can call that cleaning...)

So far good service on the Islander side....hope I can say the same when I get my reel back....will post.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Sounds like a good CS experience thus far. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You'll forget all about the one-way shipping cost once you're back on the river. Ahhh, who am I kidding; you know the whereabouts of every nickle you've ever spent! :tease:

Thanks Brian. You've said better than I ever could...

Now...just spoke to Islander (Heather is the lady Josh told me to speak with). Very nice lady...she wasn't too surprised with my problem...let her hear the spin on the phone (the "draft") and she said right away she knew about this issue and can and will fix it. Problem is I have to send it to them...(not unexpected of course)...I'll have to pay shipping to them...they'll cover the return...they'll void the $20 processing and handling fee they usually charge since it is under warranty, about 10 days for the whole process to complete...she said they are busy but will put my reel to the front of the line and prioritize it...so I am shipping it out today and hope no rain in the next 10 days so I don't fee too bad not having it and not be able to fish :rolleyes:

She said she doesn't see the benefit in upgrading the bearings to ABEC7...not worth the money for the slight improvement....

I've asked about the BOCA bearings...she said if I decide to put those on, I am on my own as they don't put other bearing but their own...and she said it could be tricky removing the old bearings and if I screw up something I'll have to send the reel to them to fix it and then put the BOCA bearings myself...anyhow...I think I'll just stick with them replacing the current bearing with the same grade ones (ABEC3) unless someone can convince me in the next day or two why it is worth paying $70 extra for the upgrade to ABEC7 while the reel is in Vancouver.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I recently had to deal with Islander customer support (Heather as well) and I can honestly say Islander has some of the best customer support I've ever experienced. They go above and beyond. She was very nice and worked with me to get everything taken care of very quickly, which is important - especially at this time of year!

I'm glad it's all getting worked out for you as well, Ice Fisherman!

I think the OP has had this reel apart and then not loaded the bearings correctly. What ever tightens the spool against the bearings might need the smallest adjustment. Giver a spin and tighten/loosen.

This is also why going from 3's to 7's doesn't work most of the time. All the tolerances are for abec3 of this brand and maybe the 7's are slightly wider/narrow you can never get the bearings loaded correctly.

My friend replaced his Islander bearings a few years ago. He got AngSpec to order the bearings from Islander and Tom put them in. I think the total (parts + labour) was around $15-$20 for the Abec 3 ones.

I've been running my Abec 3 bearings since 1998 and honestly can't find a reason to upgrade to the more expensive barden bearings that Islander also uses. I have not lubed the bearings in over 12yrs with anything nor have I ever taken them out of the spool to clean. Essentially the only cleaning I have ever done to them was washing/spinning the reel in the river to get dirt and sand out of the backplate (if you can call that cleaning...)

Mike,I've only had my Aventa for two years,but one time I remember,a bit of sand or dirt got in. Just dipped it in the river a time or two and it was smooth again. Start up never needs help,and about protecting your investment,lol.,that went out the window.:wallbash:Thanks for reassuring again. Heard that a time or two before.:good:But I still have a cover for transport!!!

I think the OP has had this reel apart and then not loaded the bearings correctly. What ever tightens the spool against the bearings might need the smallest adjustment. Giver a spin and tighten/loosen.

This is also why going from 3's to 7's doesn't work most of the time. All the tolerances are for abec3 of this brand and maybe the 7's are slightly wider/narrow you can never get the bearings loaded correctly.

Bought the reel new from Angling Outfitters one year ago and have never touched the bearings. In fact I haven never even opened it until last weekend and didn't know what is inside.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Good point Wayne. I am hoping they'll agree to cover all shipping charges and repairs/replacements, considering reel is under warranty.

Some one mentioned Boca ceramic bearing...according to this:

http://www.bocabearings.com/productdetail.aspx?ItemID=16985&ProductGroupID=0&ProductSubGroupID=152&MFGSYSID=0&MODSYSID=4414&ApplicationID=0&ProductGroupName=&ProductSubGroupName=Ceramic%20Orange%20Seal%20ABEC%207&ApplicationName=CENTER%20PIN%20REEL&ManufacturerName=&ModelName=STEELHEAD&Feature=CENTER%20PIN%20REEL

It'll cost me $29.95 for a pair of Ceramic Orange Seal ABEC 7 bearings for my Islander, with free shipping...based on what Islander says on the phone on Monday I'll either send it to them for (hopefully) quick repair and return...or take care of it myself by replacing the bearings. If so, I will try the trick with the hair drier. I assume I'll need to put the new or cleaned up baring back in place again using loctite, right?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I dont know if they will warranty laying the reel in muck to take pictures, but hey, it doesnt hurt to try.

OK Just got my reel back. Islander has replaced the bearing as they agreed they were no good. The noise has decreased significantly. The wobble though is still there...having eliminated the bearings as a reason for it, I am now thinking (and Islander agrees) it is either the shaft itself not straight of the spool was not machined very precisely. No way to know for sure...unless I have another Islander that doesn't exhibit similar problems near by...then I can replace my spool with the other spool and see if wobble is still there it is the shaft...if not it is the spool.

Spoke with Islander again 2 min ago and unfortunately they didn't do that experiment while the reel was there. So I'll have to do it here...

Anyone here who owes same Islander Steelheader reel and lives West of GTA (Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville, Milton)?

Would appreciate if we can do a quick spool swap to eliminate one of the two possibilities. Please post of PM me.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

OK decided to do two quick video clips to show the wobble. Had to use my RGB video camera and transfer it few times but it does show. Pay attention to the left side of the spool where it meets the frame and you should be able to see it. With such a high quality reel this sort of wobble should not be happening...there has to be something wrong with the pachining of the spool...but will try to eliminate the shaft as potentiol reason first.

http://s28.beta.photobucket.com/user/chocho111/media/Islander%20reel/reel.mp4.html

http://s28.beta.photobucket.com/user/chocho111/media/Islander%20reel/reel1.mp4.html

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

OK decided to do two quick video clips to show the wobble. Had to use my RGB video camera and transfer it few times but it does show. Pay attention to the left side of the spool where it meets the frame and you should be able to see it. With such a high quality reel this sort of wobble should not be happening...there has to be something wrong with the pachining of the spool...but will try to eliminate the shaft as potentiol reason first.

Was the wobble always there since you bought it? Are you sure you did not drop it at some point? I noticed in the video that the spool in the body side is wobbling a lot more than the open side. The only way that that could happen is if the reel was taken apart and was dropped on that side. I do not think that a error that noticeable would leave the factory given that these are hand assembled and I am sure that they give each reel a spin test. Just for reference, my islander does not wobble at all. I don't think there is much you can do to fix that to new condition.

Was the wobble always there since you bought it? Are you sure you did not drop it at some point? I noticed in the video that the spool in the body side is wobbling a lot more than the open side. The only way that that could happen is if the reel was taken apart and was dropped on that side. I do not think that a error that noticeable would leave the factory given that these are hand assembled and I am sure that they give each reel a spin test. Just for reference, my islander does not wobble at all. I don't think there is much you can do to fix that to new condition.

Thanks for the comments especially comparing with your own reel. This is what I am missing at this point...I need to have one well working Islander in my hands to compare this issue...

To answer your questions...I have never fall while fishing the river never throw my reel nor sit on it...and had never opened it until last weekend when I was checking the reasons for the noise. And you are right...the wobble is more easily visable on the closed end of the spool....this is why I think it maybe a bad machining job...

The noise was what started my deeper investigation into this issue and then I noticed the wobble... Can't say for sure if the wobble was there a year ago when I bought the reel...the noise definitely was not...so I didn't have any reason to look into it closer...again until last weekend.

My logic goes like this....

Most likely the reel has this wobble since the day I bought it but bearings were new and didn't make any noise so I didn't notice anything wrong. It is definitely not normal for this quality reel to have its bearings destroyed to such a degree just for one year, and mine sure were all messed up (islander agreed)...now they've changed bearings with new ones, but the wobbling issue remains there...so I am afraid the same order of events will occur again in another year...i.e. my bearing will get messed up again but by then the reel will be out of warranty and I'll be stuck to replace them myself and this issue will keep repeating itself for ever....same as your car's wheels not been balanced...earlier or later it'll screw your wheel bearings...

What could be done about it you asked...I asked the same question to Heather at Islander and she agreed we'll cross that bridge when we get to it...i.e. I need to do the experiment with a good spool from another reel and eliminate what is the problem...spool....or shaft...if it is the spool Islander will have to replace it...if it is the shaft they'll have to replace the whole reel with a new one as in both cases it is not my fault and the reel is covered with warranty. Plain and simple to me.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

The spool appears off center only on the closed side. If it were dropped, I suspect there would be evidence of damage.

The wobble isn't likely to cause any problems in use but it's probably the reason for the bearing to fail prematurely. I suspect its been wobbling right out of the box.

And you are most likely right Brian. At least it is the most logical conclusion knowing what I know now. I was just too much of a rookie when I bought it a year ago to notice it...it was my very first float reel, so I knew nothing about it back then...and it was spinning nicely and quietly so it didn't raise my attention. Until the reel became noisy, and I became more knowledgeable about that type of reels. And you all know the rest from this post.

Keep in mind Islander had the reel in their hands for 2 days and they couldn't find any evidence of any serious damage, dropping, etc. Usually if such a damage had happened it'd show not just on one side of the spool but all over the reel...

Just spoke with a good friend of mine in Milton who will let me do the experiment over the weekend swapping with his spool. Then on Monday I'll be ready to talk back with Islander and find a solution knowing what exactly is wrong. Can't believe the following though:

Not only they didn't notice the wobble when the reel was new before been shipped out ....but they didn't investigate the wobbling problem further 2 days ago when they had the reel back in their hands...they sure have plenty of spare spools, tools and measuring instruments to nail down EXACTLY what is the problem. Instead I am left sorting it out myself now. Oh well... I guess I am the one most invested interest in it, so I'll do it.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Improperly seated bearing or bent shaft.

Rob C

Bearings have been replaced. I would think Isl would of set them right. The wobble like I have said before,seems to be the spool. Look again. Same spot everytime. If it was the shaft,it would be more then that.

Hope alls well Rob.

Edited by Misfish