Florida keys fishing

lickmyarmpit

Got into our condo we rented for the week yesterday, got out today fished under a bridge for a little more than an hour. Caught six different species nothing huge but lots of cool looking fish didn't get pics if all of them but here's a few. Going out on a party boat tomorrow and a back country charter on sunday lots of pics and reports to follow. 2012-11-15163219.jpg2012-11-15155616.jpg

saltwater is such an amazing experience...good luck tomorrow

word of the wise, tip in advance

when you're on the party boat, tip the captain or the first mate doing all the grunt work, preparing bait and rods....they'll hand you the rod when they hook up a good one

all the party boats i've been on were basically bottom fishing, everybody had their own rod, with frozen bait....then they have a few kite rods or even just freelining livebait, herring usually....that gets the sail 99% of the time

whereabouts in the backcountry? post pics

cheers.

Thanks for the tips barefoot will do for sure. Chris I thought the first was a little jack crevalle (long fins spot on the gill plate and a sharp bony edge on the tail) second is a snapper of some kind a snapper mutton I believe. Other catches were yellowtail snappers , porgy,mullet and a bunch of grunts.

First ones a Pompano and I don't know about the second, nice fish!

That's not a Pomp, eyes are way too big as is the mouth.. Looks like Jack to me.. Vicious fish!

Second is a red snapper.

Edited by BillM

Awesome stuff. Back country is great, light tackle for hard fighting fish.

Try firing a gold spoon around just before sunset if you get the chance. Bridges can hold some big snook.

As for the fish i think you've got a jack and a mangrove snapper.

Edited by timmeh

Thanks for the tips barefoot will do for sure. Chris I thought the first was a little jack crevalle (long fins spot on the gill plate and a sharp bony edge on the tail) second is a snapper of some kind a snapper mutton I believe. Other catches were yellowtail snappers , porgy,mullet and a bunch of grunts.

yep I think you're right. Mutton snapper and jack. thats what I was told anyway!

Grunts were by far my favourite.

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG