What sbould a gas fireplace insert cost me?

Cast-Away

I have a brick fireplace with a 32 foot chimney and the gas line is 10 feet away. Any idea what it should cost? I had a $3600 quote today for a Napoleon.

Thanks

I have an idea, but won't post it here, or by PM. Having said that you might want to read the following link.

There are reasons why I won't say. Partially because I don't know what you are buying, install situation, etc., etc..

Gas fire places not allowed in Ontario

while we're on the topic, I was thinking of going the other way, removing my gas fireplace and going back to wood (I guess the grass is always greener...)

I get free firewood from the cottage, I was hoping to save some nat. gas furnace costs by burning some wood

any input would be appreciated

If you're going with a wood burner, it may be wise to call your house insurance first. You might be surprised at the increased cost of insurance, for me it wasn't worth it at all. I couldn't even come close to recouping the cost of the stove and chimney over many years. Last year my gas cost just under $550 for the whole year, included furnace, hot water, gas dryer, BBQ and separate garage. Garage was kept at about 40F. We're paying about 8.8 cents/cubic metre.

I have a brick fireplace with a 32 foot chimney and the gas line is 10 feet away. Any idea what it should cost? I had a $3600 quote today for a Napoleon.

Thanks

I would have to wonder what it is that you think you would gain buy going to gas?

Not that I am apposed to natural gas but there are questions in my mind about the logisticks of converting wood to gas?

3600 does not sound like to much to pay for purchasing a gas unit along with retofiting you current wood fireplace.

You have to wrap your head around the fact that this is a retofit and certain code requiremnts must be met regarding the instal of a gas appliance.

Does the retrofit include?

apliance?(instal)

Gas suply line (install)

direct venting (instal)

capping your chimney? and instal

All completed by certified trades men.

will this affect any structural componets of your house?(heat/condensation framing)

INSPECTION from a certified inspector of your choice?(city or independant inspectors not affiliated with the installing company are a good way to go)

Personaly most gas apliances out there are completly safe its the installation that causes problems so taking the time to evaluate your circumstances is the most important thing you can do for your own peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

Your not to far away from where I live. I would be happy to take a look as I will be in your neck of the woods tomoro?

Dont worry Im not selling any thing...

Don