Is the Salmon run over in lake Ont?

hotsky

I have a day off tomorrow and deciding where to go fishing. A budy of mine went to Bronte couple of times of times this past week and did well for salmon. I've never fished Bronte so thought about giving it try but wondering if it's too late for salmon now?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

For the most part, the salmon are done. There’s a number of places along the north shore of Lake O that get stocked and will have zombies all the way into December. On that note, there are way better things to fish for aside from salmon that aren’t half dead nor fight like a dead log in the current.

Back in the day, the majority of cohos used to run after Thanksgiving till early January in most rivers I fished. Can’t say the same thing for the current generation of cohos running up Lake O rivers now. The last 3-4yrs, it seems they’ve started running alongside the first runs of Chinooks going up the river. On my local rivers, they’re mostly done as well. Unless the vast majority of cohos I've seen the last 3-4yrs are strays from the Credit stockings, we could be in for an amazing wild coho fishery for a number of rivers.

For the most part, the salmon are done. There’s a number of places along the north shore of Lake O that get stocked and will have zombies all the way into December. On that note, there are way better things to fish for aside from salmon that aren’t half dead nor fight like a dead log in the current.

Back in the day, the majority of cohos used to run after Thanksgiving till early January in most rivers I fished. Can’t say the same thing for the current generation of cohos running up Lake O rivers now. The last 3-4yrs, it seems they’ve started running alongside the first runs of Chinooks going up the river. On my local rivers, they’re mostly done as well. Unless the vast majority of cohos I've seen the last 3-4yrs are strays from the Credit stockings, we could be in for an amazing wild coho fishery for a number of rivers.

Didn't MEA take over coho stocking in 2008? I suspect the returns this year (insane) were from that year class?

I don't think that project lasted long though....

Didn't MEA take over coho stocking in 2008? I suspect the returns this year (insane) were from that year class?

I don't think that project lasted long though....

I do remember reading about potential coho stocking in various Lake O rivers aside from the Credit in a few newspapers. After communicating with John Kendall last year, the plan to stock those rivers in 2008 never came to fruition. Also looking at the Lake O coho stocking records from 2008 through till this year, it confirms it.

I do remember reading about potential coho stocking in various Lake O rivers aside from the Credit in a few newspapers. After communicating with John Kendall last year, the plan to stock those rivers in 2008 never came to fruition. Also looking at the Lake O coho stocking records from 2008 through till this year, it confirms it.

I have a file on my computer somewhere that listed the rivers and the numbers they got...I'll see if I can dig it up. I may be wrong that it was MEA, but there was some type of stocking (non-MNR) that happened in 2008 unless I'm losing my marbles.

I hope I'm wrong, if these coho runs are natural I'll jump for joy.

I have a file on my computer somewhere that listed the rivers and the numbers they got...I'll see if I can dig it up. I may be wrong that it was MEA, but there was some type of stocking (non-MNR) that happened in 2008 unless I'm losing my marbles.

I hope I'm wrong, if these coho runs are natural I'll jump for joy.

Starting in 2008, there was supposed to be a stocking of 2 additional rivers with cohos supplied by Ringwood (MEA)...Apparently that never did happen.

Starting in 2008, there was supposed to be a stocking of 2 additional rivers with cohos supplied by Ringwood (MEA)...Apparently that never did happen.

Yeah that's all I can seem to find too, I must have read the articles that reported it would happen...

The MEA is still stocking coho's. We stocked the credit a few weeks ago. Currently we only stock the credit. We need to establish a good brood stock there since there were a few years where stocking did not occur on the Canadian side at all.

The CRAA may also raise some coho for stocking into the credit this year as well.

There is still a possibility of stocking rivers other than the Credit; but I don't think that will happen until at least 2014.

I would expect to see significantly bigger runs of coho starting next year.

Gray I feel your pain. I am "Jonesing" so bad to catch a large mouth it isn't funny. I need to find a place soon to. The place I spent my summer at closed for the season a few weeks back and I have done a few road trips with little success.

Have you ever asked the owners of the golf course coming into Hamilton from Brantford if they allow fishing in the off season, it looks like bass heaven and a fairly easy place to fish for a beginner like me.

I keep meaning to but I am pretty sure I won't like the answer,

Have you ever asked the owners of the golf course coming into Hamilton from Brantford if they allow fishing in the off season, it looks like bass heaven and a fairly easy place to fish for a beginner like me.
I what what you're talking about, I always look at it driving by... thought about parking on the side of the hwy and walking over to fish lol

Yah. Fishing location is like 5% of the puzzle of catching fish. Try learning cold weather techniques, instead of travelling to where it's easiest? I would stray no farther than the harbour in the fall if i still lived in hamilton. Its full of fish of all species.