Muskies released into Lake Simcoe today

kickingfrog

Muskies have been released in Simcoe since 2005. They are released when they are big enough to be too large for most other fish to eat them (most bass and panfish/walleye). Most of the fish seemed to have avoided the gulls today thanks to the high winds making it tough for the gulls to manoeuvre through the reeds to try to get the ones that stayed near the surface too long (yes I helped stock them today).

I believe that Simcoe has the potential to be a trophy musky water if the population can rebound. The forage base is there. I used to be quite skeptical of this program, but now I think it is worth a shot. The lack of a fishable population after 10 years of stocking could indicate that Simcoe may not be support a high density population like St Claire or the Kawartha's. It may be more like Georgian Bay, or some of the lower density areas of LOTW.

Simcoe is also a body of water that is going through an environmental change due to invasive species. As the ecosystem of the lake stabilizes the musky population may follow suit.

Good luck.

I wont hold my breath.

Simcoe has more problems to deal with than muskie.

Sad to say.

VHS/GOBIES/POLUTION/ OVER STOCKING/ HERRING and SMELTproblems/ massive die offs of bait fish/ CURRENT BYLAWS that will drastricly change water conditions.

I have fished Simcoe for 40 yrs

Its a big lake that continues to change year to year.?

Not that I have any ansures it just seems to becoming a big pond surounded by people that just dont care? and those that do dont want responsable anglers to enjoy the hobby of fishing?