Regulations

HyperActive

Hello all,

I tried reading the laws governing fishing but I didn't make it too far as they are pretty dry and I almost fell asleep not long after beginning.

It may seem like I am trying to beat the system but I am a catch a re-leaser and I just want to know for the sake of knowing.

1) It is my understanding buzz bates are illegal in Canada. Just wondering if that is true or not? If it is true, are they illegal only on public land or private land to?

2) Do limits apply to private places.

and 3) I try to encourage my girlfriend to come out with me to fish on private land and her reason for not coming with me is because she doesn't have a license. Does she need one on private land?

Thnx in advance and good fishing to all,

Buzzbaits are not illegal. Are you talking private ponds or just fishing on private property?

Good news about the buzz baits. I have had one for 3 months but was too chicken to bust it out after a buddy of mine told me they were illegal in Canada.

Fishing on private land and water (with permission) is where I am thinking of my other two questions.

Thank you,

Edited by HyperActive

Good news about the buzz baits. I have had one for 3 months but was too chicken to bust it out after a buddy of mine told me they were illegal in Canada.

Fishing on private land and water (with permission) is where I am thinking of my other two questions.

Thank you,

You'll need to define 'private water' a bit better. If it's a private pond, completely surrounded by private land and there are no outflows or inflows, then no fishing license is required.. If it's a section of stream for example where the owner has streambed rights (or similar) then all normal fishing regulations apply.

I also believe that limits and other regs apply if it's a natural waterbody, regardless if there is and inflow or outflow but I could be wrong. And yes buzzbaits are vey legal, wouldn't make much sense for tackle stores to sell them otherwise. wink.gif

For the most part I usually buy my Rapelas and plastic in the States and really haven't been to any tackle shops at home.

What gear I have bought here has been from WalMart. I wasn't looking for buzz baits but I can't recall seeing any at the location closest to me.

Edited by HyperActive

Depends on the Walmart.

Yep.

My WalMart sells a nice selection with wider variety of Blue Fox spinners for at least a dollar cheaper than Canadian Tire does. The only true tackle shop doesn't even carry Blue Fox. It's like a music store that doesn't carry any Fender guitars. what the hell

That's just one example, but the same applies to the Little Cleos, though Canadian Tire seems to have the sizes I want more often than WalMart. And again, the "tackle shop" doesn't seem to carry them at all. It's like a music store that doesn't carry any Gibson guitars. what the hell

SO.....let's say HA's girlfriend goes fishing with him but doesn't fish...and doesn't have a fishing license....HA catches his limit of walleye but then gives said limit to girlfriend who's sitting and reading on the bank...can he continue to fish.... :dunno:

No, cause it's a daily CATCH & possesion limit. He would have to wait until tomorrow...

the salient points from Topwater's MNR link.

"Because your pond has an outflow the laws requiring a licence and the various fishing seasons would apply to your pond. The Ontario Fishery Regulations, which contain the rules for sport fishing in Ontario, apply to all water in the province with the exception of National Parks, waters that are licenced under an aquaculture licence and waters that occur on private lands that meet all of the following conditions:

The waters are not on a regional flood plain,

The waters lie wholly on privately owned land,

The waters are not connected to natural waters,

The waters contain water from run-off, springs, ground water or water pumped from a stream or lake; AND

The waters have been artificially created."

No, cause it's a daily CATCH & possesion limit. He would have to wait until tomorrow...

But see, it was a trick question....as he may still be able to fish but not keep any walleye as long as there are other species in those waters that have a open season on..... :thumbsup_anim:

But see, it was a trick question....as he may still be able to fish but not keep any walleye as long as there are other species in those waters that have a open season on..... :thumbsup_anim:

Actually only partially correct.

Yes "he may(enter: will) still be able to fish but not keep any walleye".

No requirement for "as long as there are other species in those waters that have a open season on.....". This does not make any difference. Fishing for a species on a catch & release basis after you have filled your daily catch limit is legal.

Even targeting fish with a zero Catch & Possession Limit is legal as long as there is an open season for them at the time & place you are fishing.

An example would be Lake Sturgeon in Zone 3.