car CVT transmissions

captpierre

A regular automatic transmission has a fixed number of gears. The number of gears, or speeds, is what gives a transmission the designation of four-speed automatic, five-speed automatic, etc. In contrast, a continuously variable automatic transmission has an infinite number of gears, made possible by a system of variable pulleys and belts. If it sounds complicated, that’s probably because it is.

So, what do the variable pulleys and belts mean to you? In a car equipped with a CVT there are no noticeable gear shifts like you would feel with a regular transmission. Anyone who has driven a regular automatic transmission knows that engine speed drops during the shift from first to second, third to fourth, etc. That drop in rpm during shifts can put the engine below the rpm range where it makes power; an engine makes its peak power at a certain rpm — 5,000 rpm, for example. In a CVT-equipped car, the drop in rpm never happens.

When you punch the accelerator on a CVT-equipped car, the rpm will rise to where the engine makes the most power, let’s say 5,000 rpm, and it stays there while the vehicle accelerates. Some people are put off by CVTs because it almost feels as if there’s something wrong with the car — like the transmission is slipping, even though everything is fine. After a couple of runs around the block, that initial feeling disappears.

CVTs can be found in most hybrids, like the Honda Civic, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima and Ford Escape hybrids, as well as cars like the Nissan Maxima, Altima and Sentra. The CVT started off in small cars only, but advancements in technology have made it strong enough to handle the demands of heavier, more powerful cars.

Stay away from CVT transmissions.

Friend had a Nissan Rogue with one and gave him many problems. Most common problem was the transmission felt like it was slipping and didn't want to accelerate the car forward. He sold the Nissan before it really broke.

The CVT's are very expensive to repair/replace and only trained technicians should be the ones even attempting to work on them.

Another guy with a Mini had one actually fail on him. Replacement cost from Mini was just under $8,000!!

nissan has sent every cvt owner an extension on their tranny warranty...i believe its 200k..

i personally love the way my altima shifts and accelerates ....at first i thought there was something wrong with the tranny.... couldn't feel the shift....hmmm...the more i pushed the accelerator the more it just climbed in speed....no shifting!!!

well after some educating....i now love my cvt...

My mother drives a new impreza with CVT, I can't stand it. Always feels like its working too hard, runs really high RPMs when its cold (for up to 10 minutes of driving sometimes), and doesn't seem to help acceleration any. I drive it in the "paddle shift" mode - which is amusing, since it doesn't have true gears but preset ratios. I seem to be able to get lower fuel consumption than the CVT can when responsible for itself. "Shifting" is slow though, and again feels really strange.

Of course, I've never met any type of automatic transmission that I liked. Drives me nuts to not be able to select the gear I want, when I want it. Give me a proper 6 speed any day over any type of transmission.

Sequential gearboxes are neat though...but that's the gearhead in me talking.

seem lots of them over the years and as with any new technology there is bugs to work out and people that don't want to accept them.

havn't seen or known to many people to have issues with them in any of the makes currently out there even the dodge calibers seem to be holding up for the most part

it does take some getting used to with no gear changes you can feel like driving a snowmobile or a atv

I have a altima and cvt does take some getting used to, but as someone who had only had sticks I hated automatics anyway. If you want the engine to sound/feel like a race car then manual is the only option. The cvt is very good on fuel and is likely where most manufacturers are going and the reliability ( real and perceived) will improve just as the automatics did.

I worked at a saturn dealership and replaced many. I would steer clear of CVT's as they're prone to failure and expensive to repair/replace. When they work they work well, but that does not last long :)

BINGO........The Saturn 4 cylinder VUE had those CVT tranny's and they were nothing but trouble....my nephew had 3 new trannies replace by Saturn...

I have an 07 Altima, replaced the Tranny at 87k. I'm at 178k now and I am starting to hear the same whining noise as I did the last time. When it goes so will the car. I will never buy a cvt transmission again. I find the engine way to noisey and for the amount of time they have been in production, they should have these problems solved. $6k for a replacement on mine but it was covered under warranty until 200k. Stick shift will be the only way to go for me from now on.

Rob C