One for the Toronto History Buffs!

tb4me

Thought this was cool..Also thought many here would enjoy this!

<iframe src="http://www.nfb.ca/film/toronto_boom_town/embed/player" width="512" height="334" ></iframe><p><a href="http://www.nfb.ca/film/toronto_boom_town/" target="_blank"><em>Toronto Boom Town</em></a> by <a href="http://www.nfb.ca/explore-all-directors/leslie-mcfarlane/" title="more films by Leslie McFarlane" target="_blank">Leslie McFarlane</a>, <a href="http://www.nfb.ca" target="_blank">National Film Board of Canada</a></p>

Thanks, that was a great clip. I'd never seen that one. And so many memories.....Elwood Glover narrates and almost sounds like a teenager. :) I love that stuff.

Roy, you couldn't have said it better. We arrived in 1959. I loved the part about the 40 million in housing

being built. That's about what our street is worth in Kleinburg today.

I have books called Toronto one dating back to 1957 and 1988. I'm proud to say that I had a hand in producing the millenium copy (2000) Inspired by Ed Mirvish, David Cronbie and Mel Latman.

Great clip, thanks.

Sorry, misspelled Mel Lastman and David Crombie. I've chatted with Mr. Crombie about the book a few years back as we walked down the street on our way to work! And yes he does work . . .

My role was behind the scene making sure that the typography and press specs were accurate.

That was an excellent video.

I was born in Toronto in '46 and saw ALOT of changes over the years, but I still liked it the way it was back in the day compared to what it is now.

I still remember riding the new subway on Yonge Street when it 1st opened in '52

My folks built a new home at Leslie & Lawrence in Don Mills in '54 and that was waaaaay out in the boonies, but today it's practically downtown.

Hard to believe, but well into the 50's we still had horses & wagons delivering alot of the stuff to the house every day. Bread, milk, ice, coal in the winter and even the old sheeny man to pick up the junk.

Now that I live a million miles away from there, I hope I never have to see the place again. :lol:

That was an excellent video.

I was born in Toronto in '46 and saw ALOT of changes over the years, but I still liked it the way it was back in the day compared to what it is now.

I still remember riding the new subway on Yonge Street when it 1st opened in '52

My folks built a new home at Leslie & Lawrence in Don Mills in '54 and that was waaaaay out in the boonies, but today it's practically downtown.

Hard to believe, but well into the 50's we still had horses & wagons delivering alot of the stuff to the house every day. Bread, milk, ice, coal in the winter and even the old sheeny man to pick up the junk.

Now that I live a million miles away from there, I hope I never have to see the place again. :lol:

Lew, you will remember (I'm a bit younger not by much) at the conner and Mount Pleasant and Merton was the old Dominion and Coal Yard with the silos? I worked ther for 10 years. My brother a master plumber, spent many months refitting the place so they could be kept as heritage buildings, only to be torn down years later and turned into condos! He wasn't happy!

My dad used to walk us from Dufferin and St Clair to Keele and Weston Road to see cattle cross St Clair and made into steaks, my dad loved cattle! being of Italian heritage they also went over to pick up manure to fertilize the gardens to grow vegetables. Not very impressive at the time but NOW we all do it, (grow our own).

Anyone go to Regal Road Public School in the early 60's? a shot in the dark?

Lew, you will remember (I'm a bit younger not by much) at the conner and Mount Pleasant and Merton was the old Dominion and Coal Yard with the silos?

Yep, I remember that place and they also had another yard down on the Danforth where they had a chunk of coal the size of a Volkswagen sitting outside the main door on the sidewalk :lol: