how to fish with/rig plastic night crawlers?

hotsky

I got some plastic Matzuo worms from Canadian tire on my lunch break today, I never used them so figured I can give them a try. They are 6 or 7" thin dew worm style not the fat senko stuff. I don't like messing around with real worms so thought I can try these. Would I just hook them and let them sit under a float? Or how are they supposed to be used? They seem too skinny and too long to Texas rig them. but how do I hook them if I'm going to use them as one would hook a real worm, since they are much harder than worm and hooking a fish could be a challenge. Wacky style?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

I like to thread the line through the majority of the worm. Tie on your hook, pierce the worm about an inch from the end thread the hook and line lengthwise through the worm and out the coller, I have the hook dangling just under the coller, to stop the hook from sliding back use a little bead or bobber stopper. Does this make sence? If I knew how to draw a picture and post it I would

So the line is going the the majority of the hook.. does the hook go thru the worm after or just sitting there? small one I'm guessing? Also do you just twitch it like you would texas style rig?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

Sight-unseen, these sound like Shaky Head or Drop-Shot worms to me.

With skinny worms, a hook with a screw or push-in bait keeper can be used. The point of the hook is pushed into the plastic to make it weedless.

I don't like the idea of "small" hooks, however, fine wire hooks do sort of go with small diameter baits.

Basically with plastic worms you want the bait to flutter as it falls, dead stick and zig-zag as you twitch it back. To achieve this you would want to hook any plastic worm so there is lots of loose end to flap.

As an alternative, making the worm roll on the retrieve is very effective too. There are bait needles to thread a line through the worm so the hook is closer to the tail. Normally you tie the hook on after the line is pulled through the bait. Another easy way would be to use a two or three hook worm harness. These generally have a small spinner blade and some beads attached. They are often associated with Walleye fishing, but I have caught plenty of Small Mouth on them. In either case you would want a quality swivel to minimize line twist, as you cast and retrieve.

Another old threaded worm method, for tough plastic worms, is to hook through the tip-end, with about a #1 long shank hook. Pushing the worm up the hook shank, to the hook eye. You just pop the hook point and barb out...The worm has a bend in it. Fished behind a swivel it will spin on the retrieve.

There used to be something called a Florida rig, where just the tip of the head-end of the worm is hooked on a short shank hook and you cast and twitch it back. The hook point is exposed. If a weedless hook is used this will go through fairly heavy cover. If the worms float, an exposed hook will swim over many weeds. Either way, cast it over weed beds and twitch away.

Garry2R's

Thanks. Would it work at all if i just let it sit under a float like a regular worm or would that be a waste of time?

If there is wave action to add "life" to the plastic, you can fish it wacky under a bobber.

Cast over weeds or other likely fish holding spots.

Garry2rs