Battery Charging options - electric downrigger

camillj

Hi Folks ... I know there have been many discussions around this ... but ... I think my scenario is a little different and was wondering if any of you smart folks have a 'best' scenario (that doesnt involve me having to cart a group 31 battery off the boat to recharge it.

Anyhow here are the basic parameters :

Fiberglass hull (Pioneer 197) - dual console

Boat is moored (in the water) in a marina all season (March til Oct) and gets stored in the winter.

My rented slip does not have access to power ( so running a trickle charger overnight isn't feasible unless i took the battery off the boat)

It has a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke and came equipped with a single 12V battery. The console is equipped with 'cigarette lighter' adaptor which I use for running) GPS/Sonar etc.

I don't use a trolling motor on the boat ... but I do run my stereo and GPS while 'trolling' (which is my preferred fishing mode)

It's a pretty big lake ... so 'running' at 20-30mph for 20-30 minutes per trip is common.

I bought a separate (totally isolated) group 31 deep cycle battery (and a weather resistant case) specifically to run my Cannon Magnum 10 STX electric downrigger(s) without risking drain on the cranking battery. I haven't charged it since it went on the boat two months ago- mostly because it doesnt appear to need it - I currently only have one downrigger hooked up - but I KNOW I should keep it charged up and would like a more 'permanent' setup that won't harm the motor's charging system or risk frying any of the other electronics on the boat.

Also I know there is some issue about charging a deep cycle vs cranking battery ...

Anyhow looking for some guidance .... cost is not the priority ... convenience and reliability and safety (mine and the equipment) are most important :)

Anyhow love to know what you guys with the 'proper' rigs have done to make it work.

Thanks

Jon.

oh ... and just to juice it up a bit .. here's a little 43" personal best caught last week 21' down in 29 ft of water on a 6" Williams at 1.8 MPH (about 600 rpm) ...

b736bed4.jpg

Edited by camillj

you need one of these or one like it

http://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm

12 volt Smart Battery Isolator

it will charge your battery when your motor is running but isolate it from the other battery and your system

the battery might only last 5 years instead of 7

but it's a good trade off

The 150 has a 35A alternator, if you like trolling the big lake you don't need the extra battery.

I like to run a cutoff switch to prevent any drainage.....

About the big batteries..... how heavy is a 31? whatever it is I don't like lifting them.

I opted out for 3 small

IMG_20120416_170906.JPG

OK .. thanks guys ... I actually originally bought the group 31 for my Minn Kota (which I only use in Quebec) ... alongside a 9.9 Seahorse ... when i bought the Cannon the guys at Sail told me NOT to run it off the cranking motor ... so onto the boat it went ... and yes it is HEAVY .. so there it remains ... :)

I kinda like having the 'backup' as I do run many miles up and down the 'big' lakes in Muskoka and I really hate the idea of having to call in to the marina for help (grew up fishing on Lake O with CB and VHF ... to much time spent responding to 'distress' calls ... never wanna be that guy )

I think I like the idea of having the smart battery isolater ... of course there is no getting around taking the batteries off the boat in the winter but at least that's just once a year :)