Just Chilling in Alaska

DRIFTER_016

is that cooper landing, kenai bridge?

...sounds like you're seeing the same thing i saw most of the summer.

Just got back from AK, went up in July and it's a brutal year for the whole salmon sport fishery in general except for the pinks. I saw plenty of empty freezers and sad faces from people who didn't have the time to fish any longer for their winter food. It's the slowest year i've ever seen there. It was like real fishing. LOL. From the sound of things, the best time to be there this year was early to get the reds and possibly a few kings. Some of my friends are dealing with rain and crazy water levels from streams/rivers that run by their homes, and there i was thinking winter was on the way as the termination dust worked its way down.

Good luck on your trip...

I take it the local supply of dark rum is dwindling? :D

Still have 3 3/4 60 ouncers left Mike. :D

J ace

Yes it's the bridge at Kenai Lake in the picture.

Water levels went up from about 9' & 3500cfs to 16' & 20000cfs in a week.

There was plenty of termination dust the first week of September but it has warmed up since then.

Seward got 10" of rain in 2 days and they are still getting pounder there. My buddy Keith is there doing emergency dispatching of dozers and backhoes. Not a good scene there.

Update: Just got word that the river is closed to all boating starting @ 1pm today. :(

Gotta find somewhere else to fish for a few days I guess.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I remember when I was in anchorage and when we have to drive 2 to 3 hrs to kenia to do deep knetting.. haha that was fun... but thats was a long time ago.. I was told that the salmon run already pass... I remember fishermen bringing bigger coolers.. fillet the fish and you could see those seagull so huge!!.

stay safe though... gudluck... thats alot of hours to drive lolz

Edited by bfisher

That's a good amount water moving through there. If it's where i think it is, we should be looking down a boat ramp. At those water levels, boats will launch themselves just by pulling into the parking lot. And you'll need some good power to get back up or arrange to be picked up down in cook inlet somewhere. :D

I had to change up things when i was there too' i chose to go after bottom fish for a while which paid off.

Yeah, I got there in july, termination dust appeared just a few weeks later and was down 1/2 way on most peaks by came back in mid september. It was a sunny but cool summer, perfect was for what i wanted to do. It rained a ton before i got there, then it resumed shortly after i left which is what you're dealing with now. I really lucked out on the timing in that sense. One friend spent several thousand on material to build up a wall to stop water from running through his house, i guess that's the downside of living at the base of a mountain with a stream however small it might be most of the year.

I heard part of the kenai reopened downstream of where you are, maybe more of it will reopen soon

Yes it's the bridge at Kenai Lake in the picture.

Water levels went up from about 9' & 3500cfs to 16' & 20000cfs in a week.

There was plenty of termination dust the first week of September but it has warmed up since then.

Seward got 10" of rain in 2 days and they are still getting pounder there. My buddy Keith is there doing emergency dispatching of dozers and backhoes. Not a good scene there.

Update: Just got word that the river is closed to all boating starting @ 1pm today. :(

Gotta find somewhere else to fish for a few days I guess.