Odds I beat my PB pike this weekend???

Cloudy15

When I was there somehow I didn't catch any pike, was only a day trip though, I'd say the odds are 50/50, either you beat it or you don't! Whats your pb smallie, because you have a good chance of beating it too (hint crayfish crankbaits)

From what i have been reading in the algonquin forum booth has a tone of pike and decent smallies. My Pb SM would be a 4.5 maybe it was 21 " not terrible fat tho.

Side note the algonquin forum members really piss me off, they refuse to offer any half way decent advice. So worried about their tourt. Ok fine those guys are pretty sensitive. But they wont even help you out with and decent pike or SM info so worried abou tthem getting fished out. We all fish on waters that have tons and tons of presure. IE rice lake and they are so worried about everyone in the world making the 8 hour trip to some of these lakes and and catching all the bass and pike which are even native!

sorry for the rant lol

did send you booth lake topo map.. or sending a topo map would never ever fly with the group

Not at all familiar with that lake. My dad had about 30 years of heading to Ontario to fish, and around 25 years for myself. Dad`s biggest pike came in May, in an area of the Georgian Bay where walleye and I assume other species frequently spawned.

Although we made usual family trips in mid summer they never produced big pike, 8 - 12 pounds was a big mid summer fish.

For serious pike fishing and when we got the majority of our 40+ inch fish? mid to late September. Just never went north after September, I could be cold enough fishing here. Funny though, the areas where we got our biggest pike in September? also seemed to hold Walleye in September, something that was absent from those areas in mid summer.

I got my PB walleye up there in late September, casting a spinner bait for pike. My buddy got his PB walleye, a 31 incher fishing with a big chub for bait for pike.

So were the pike, like the walleye following baitfish? Or were they following walleye? We never got a small walleye in the areas that had big pike, they all seemed to be 26 inches or over.

If I was able to mid to late September or later perhaps would be my choice for big pike.

It's good to try to one-up yourself, but don't let it ruin your day if you don't!

Don't worry it will not ruin my trip, last year we went mid summer bass fishing but my friends booked a lake that didnt have any bass in it only lakers. Little annoyed over that one.

Not at all familiar with that lake. My dad had about 30 years of heading to Ontario to fish, and around 25 years for myself. Dad`s biggest pike came in May, in an area of the Georgian Bay where walleye and I assume other species frequently spawned.

Although we made usual family trips in mid summer they never produced big pike, 8 - 12 pounds was a big mid summer fish.

For serious pike fishing and when we got the majority of our 40+ inch fish? mid to late September. Just never went north after September, I could be cold enough fishing here. Funny though, the areas where we got our biggest pike in September? also seemed to hold Walleye in September, something that was absent from those areas in mid summer.

I got my PB walleye up there in late September, casting a spinner bait for pike. My buddy got his PB walleye, a 31 incher fishing with a big chub for bait for pike.

So were the pike, like the walleye following baitfish? Or were they following walleye? We never got a small walleye in the areas that had big pike, they all seemed to be 26 inches or over.

If I was able to mid to late September or later perhaps would be my choice for big pike.

Ya i think the big pike actively start to target walleye in the fal. I heading fairly far north the lows in the area have been just above freezing lately. Hopefully i ahve some pics to post

I lost my PB pike in the spring, I stood there shell shocked and didn't set the hook. Always next year!

Ha! I've done that too Bill. Giant largie followed my jig in unexpected as I was burning it back to the boat after a pitch, felt weight looked down to see it staring at me for a sec and then spit it out. All I could do was mumble "gawwww, woookkkk" My bro still cracks up about it.

AS for PB's, they are like women, they seem to come along when you are not looking to hard to find them. :)