House Boating

Billy Bob

Planning on doing our third house boating trip on the Kawarthan's.....but this time with "Happy Days Houseboats".......first time with "them"....we did our first house boating trip way back around 1985 with "Three Bouy's Houseboats"........then around 2003 we used Egan "Houseboats".......we were EXTREMELY Happy with Three Bouys but they were no longer in business....when we went with Egan Houseboat's we had nothing but trouble with the fridge....well, actually we didn't have ANY luck with fridge because it never worked for the whole week, even though they tried to fix it 3 times during our trip at the locks they met us at......then at the end of our trip we asked for some compensation and they did a couple hundred dollars for our troubles because they knew we went thru hell with the fridge....we had to purchase ice DAILY....

But anyway's........any one here ever use "Happy Day's Houseboat's"

Bob

We used Egan many moons ago and nothing but good to say about them.

This was back when some of the outfitters were using outboards on their houseboats and Egan had the I/O Volvo Penta. Prior to the Three Buoys 'invasion', they were the Cadillac of the K-Lakes.

I would consider giving Egan another shot. It seems they did everything they could along the way and kicked back some good coin for your troubles. I guess I'm trying to say; if something goes wrong, at least they'll bend over backwards to make it right.

2nd what Rizzo said. I'm sold that they are using VP i/o's. At least you know they are running the best drive out there...........

Actually the way Egan has their I/O's, they are a lot more like a outboard then a I/O....the Three Bouy's were much more a I/O as they were tuck in and under the boat....so this is something I took a second close look at with Happy Day's House Boats....they are much more a I/O drive then Egan is.....as a matter of fact, everything Happy Day's does except price, is much better then Egan......but Egan did try to fix the frig...but DIDN'T.... :whistling:

So I'm really just looking to see if anyone here has used Happy Day's..... :)

Rented from Happy days last year. Had a blast. Dont think you will be dissapointed.

That's good to hear.........Egan does have better rates....but their boats are smaller, I/O's are smaller and a bit run down....but I'm sure they run a good business...we just had bad luck with the fridge the last time with them......the folks that we are teaming up with decided they like the Happy Day's Houseboats MUCH better......We really miss the Three Bouys company......back in the 80's on our first houseboating trip, those 40' boats were BRAND NEW at the time...we had both our boys with us back then....1.5 old and a 2.5 year old.....Happy Day's have purchased some of the 44' boats from Three Bouys and that's actually the boat we reserved.....

They very a lot depending on when you want to go......and how long you want to rent the vessel......and with Happy Day's what size houseboat you want. Egan only has 2 sizes, while Happy Day's has SEVERAL different size and configurations....so it's best to take a good look at this rate sheet...

http://www.happydayshouseboats.com/rates.htm

If you go on the off season.....we are going the last week in June just before the rates spike for the high season.....then try a mid week 4 day cruise, it's pretty reasonable....taking a mid week (Tues - Fri) over the weekend you get the extra day for FREE (my favorite 4 letter word)....and you get to board the day before (Mon) at 7pm.....

Our two other trips were during the high season for a week long cruise....but since this is our 3rd time we decided on only doing 4 days next June....both times before we did tow a fishing boat behind us but not this time.....also now they charge extra for lock fees on both the houseboat and the boat in tow.....but it's only a $10 a day fee for the houseboat thru your rental company, as they have paid for the lock passes for the whole year and try to get it back through renters during the year......in the past it was included in the rental fees....but if you don't lock thru it doesn't make sense renting a houseboat in the Kawarthan's....

Hey Bob,

I rented one from happy days this year for a week, had an absolute blast, it will not be my last time renting a houseboat and will gladly use Happy Days again.

I do not know anything about Egan as this was my first trip but I did see several of their boats along the way and talked to the people on them. General comments from people were that they would prefer Happy Days, the Egan boats were too small, they were getting old and looked run down (did not go on one) To me they looked like they were sized for a couple not a family or a group of people.

The people at Happy Days are professional and get you through the process (both bording and unboarding) with ease. You are right when you mention the range of boats they have, to be truthful I would not want to rent a couple of them.....but most of them are very nice, they rent ~25 boats. You know the cost of the boat, the gas was ~380 for the week, then the beer is the big variable!

If you want to know anything in particular feel free to ask.

The best thing about Happy Days is that you don't have to start off down the river and go through all those weedbeds to get to the main part of the lake.

You're right in the middle of the lake with quick access to Gannons Narrows or to head to Bobcaygeon.

Happy days is for sure the place to go with. They are good people, and do thier best to make sure all their vessels are in top shape. The owner, Frank, is a great guy too!! Bring him a case of Molson Ex, and he will hook you up with anything you want. Super nice guy!

S.