Planning a trip to Algonquin in 2013

gordy28

Its the time of year (for our group anyway) where we start to plan for next years trip

The new goal is to do a short camping/fishing excursion in 2013 - to be followed by a week long trek in 2014. Looking at all the reports here we are thinking maybe we would like to go off the grid a bit instead of the lodge route

We are not campers or canoers - one option for 2014 is a guided trip into the BWA for Small mouth so...

We are planning to do a 3 day trip into Algonquin - we will be going guided and I'm looking for input on:

Outfitters

So far we have talked to 3 = prices vary quite a bit so I am wondering if anyone has ever used any of the Outfitters around the park (either guided or unguided)and has positive (or negative I guess)feedback/reviews or would feel comfortable making a recommendation

Timing

Right now trout opener may not be a possibility - and we don't mind fishing for bass (but would love to try for trout as well) - based on that when would you recommend you we go (assuming we miss bug season) - late July? August? September?

In case anyone wondering why guided - we have limited gear and don't want to stock up to find out we prefer the lodge, none of has camped in years (and never in the interior) and finally we aren't experience in canoes

Why ask now - its only Sept? Guys need to dream and plan to cope with a long winter :)

Anyway - any input is appreciated as always

Gordy

I'd say use an outfitter for gear rental and help choosing a route, but a guide isn't really needed and it would be more of an adventure by yourselves, just be careful of rapids if doing a river, and wind/ waves on big lakes (especially if it's early season and the water's cold)

I'd say go a couple weeks after the opener for trout, that's what Algonquin is all about

Thanks guys

Info appreciated - will definitely contact Algonquin Outfitters

Pettawa sounds interesting - and so does just a July Smallmouth

Chris - thanks, you got me thinking that perhaps we skip the guide... We could always get canoe practice in ahead of time

Any other things for first timers to consider re routes etc

I'd say try to avoid the hwy 60 corridor, start at Tim, Rainy, Kiosk, or Brent. You can choose a route and campsites for the check-in procedure, but once you get going, you can change your plans, ie you want to cut it short, or go farther, there will be plenty of campsites in the interior even close to the opener

if you guys will get a kick out of catching trout (late May, early June), it's not that difficult if you're persistant, sometimes it can be easy, for lakers just troll or drift anywhere, flatlining with a Williams spoon, for brookies, pretend you're fishing for bass, casting the shoreline, around fallen trees and beaver lodges, boulders etc, use a Mepps #1, or small spoon (Cleo in burgandy and brass is one of my favorites)

if you're going early, I've got a brookie hotspot I can PM you, it's pretty far in though, all you have to do is let'em go and don't tell a soul

Any other things for first timers to consider re routes etc

Avoid moving water. Period. Unless you have experience paddling a loaded canoe and can get out at must make eddies.

I second the west side which is my preferred access. Can't go wrong with Rain, Butt (Ralph Bice) etc.. Either gets you into some nice areas and it's small(er) lake paddling which I find more intimate and rewarding.

While Hwy 60 can be super congested, it does take you to some beautiful water as well. Get a couple of good carries between you and the riff raff if you're starting at Canoe or Smoke.

and try to make your paddling days short if this is a trip for new canoeists. paddling in the park is great spring thru to fall and it'll be hard not to have a good time !

Chris-thanks for the input and then generous offer. Right now it looks like April/May are out-but it might change one we have a formal planning (excuse for guys night) meeting. If we do go for trout exclusively will let you know. If you were fishing small mouth would you still avoid Hwy 60?

Woodenboater-thanks as well-great tips, definitely want to avoid white water and we definitely don't mind limited paddling even if it means less lakes visited or more portages

Cheers

Gordy

What about the east end of the park. Barron Canyon is a pretty neat area and not a hard place to paddle. Its certainly offers something different and will keep you interested if the fish don't cooperate.

Based on all of Mike's reports, I can't imagine you could find a better guide.

did you guys nail down Mike for any dates?

No, no one's nailed me down Chris. :D

What's funny is my remark was mostly off the cuff but several people did pm me inquiring.

Back in the day I led many lengthy trips, mostly in Quetico and Wabakimi, and was at the time an ORCA (ontario recreational canoe association) certified instructor.

It's actually something I'd love to do again, time permitting of course.

No, no one's nailed me down Chris. :D

What's funny is my remark was mostly off the cuff but several people did pm me inquiring.

Back in the day I led many lengthy trips, mostly in Quetico and Wabakimi, and was at the time an ORCA (ontario recreational canoe association) certified instructor.

It's actually something I'd love to do again, time permitting of course.

I thought it was an off the cuff reply, I just thought I would take it too far for some fun

it's nice to know that you could take an early retirement from your 9-5, and make a few dollars guiding, writingand other fishing related stuff

For sure-have already touched base w Mike

But it will take our groupa while to nail down some times-Spring doesn't seem like an option at this point.

Hence posting so early-best to get details explored to finalize and motivate. Not to mention negotiating with our better halves :)