Navionics Charts?

RangerGuy

I've been thinking of buying charts for my 798hd.. I have a garmin 276C with all the ontario charts back in the day I went with

these charts because they were a copy of all available paper charts from the governement. ALSO they were the only charts that

covered nip.. for a long time.

I'm wondering if the coverage is any better with Navionics now and how accurate they are compared to the governement paper charts?

Anybody with experience with the navionic charts I'd love to hear what you think

how accurate they are compared to the governement paper charts?

I use the Great Lakes/Martimes for most of my fishing Greg, but use the HotMaps Premium for the West Arm and have found several inaccuracies and mistakes with it.

1st off, it doesn't cover the waters west of 64 but I don't think Garmin does either, but I find on the Hotmaps several of the navigation buoys travelling down the channel from 64 to the big lake are marked the wrong colour on the map. The buoys are marked green on the chart but in reality are actually red. If your travelling after dark or in fog and go by the charts you'll be high & dry on the rocks.

I also find Jennings Point is probably 1/4 mile off on the map compared to where it actually is and I know of at least a few rocks that aren't even marked.

There's a reason they tell you not to use these charts as your sole navigational aids.

For the most part though, I like the Navionics.

SOMEONE needs to map the French River.

Why? it helps keep the hordes away.

given that it can fluctuate 8'+ between seasons, any chart would be less than ideal anyway.

I know some that have marked it up real well.. with their prop

Anyone have experience with the Android version? For $15 or so it seems like a pretty good deal. Is it a memory and/or data hog? There was a pretty good endorsement of the app in OOD sometime through the summer but an OFC endorsement would go a long way.

I too am interested now the Nav. has a blackberry app. I can easly d/l it to my tablet but don't want to take it in the boat all day as the kids would turn the Nav. app off and play angry birds all day...

Edited by GBW

I use the Great Lakes/Martimes for most of my fishing Greg, but use the HotMaps Premium for the West Arm and have found several inaccuracies and mistakes with it.

1st off, it doesn't cover the waters west of 64 but I don't think Garmin does either, but I find on the Hotmaps several of the navigation buoys travelling down the channel from 64 to the big lake are marked the wrong colour on the map. The buoys are marked green on the chart but in reality are actually red. If your travelling after dark or in fog and go by the charts you'll be high & dry on the rocks.

I also find Jennings Point is probably 1/4 mile off on the map compared to where it actually is and I know of at least a few rocks that aren't even marked.

There's a reason they tell you not to use these charts as your sole navigational aids.

For the most part though, I like the Navionics.

Hi Lew,

Yup my garmin covers the entire west arm both sides of the bridge because they are direct copies of the government charts :).. When I bought my gps I believe BlueChart was the only

manufacture licenced to reproduce the government charts.

Looks like I'll stick with Garmin, to bad because I'd really like to take advantage of the mapping and structure marking features of my Hummingbird 798HD. OR..i can double up on the charts :)...

Ron, I wonder if the others are as accurate.. mine is 6-7 years old I believe and can get 5' accuracy in heavy cloud cover. I have noticed my internal battery must be going

because alot of times now it needs to relocate itself which is a pain... but Your right it's an awesome unit!

Thanks everybody for the input.

Edited by RangerGuy

I agree with you, double up on the charts, I did for my Lowrance too, I have the HDS units linked together and with the Garmin on the console, I use it to get me to the spots and then I can fine tune on the Lowarnce. When fine tunig areas, I don't really need the maps but they do give a better reference association on where you are.

My 276C has lost it's internal over a year ago. I simply turn unit on on my way out the door, plug it in the cig lighter, by the time I am at the lake, it is locked in and ready to go. I also use my garmin for navigating in the truck.

Too bad you can't link Garmin and Lowrance together.....

Cheers, Ron...