I'd like to catch a salmon, but not a clue on where to start

ricardo

Title says it all. I want to hook into a salmon but know very little about what rigs to use (and what I have to buy) and how to use the rigs in general. I live in cambridge so I'm asuming credit river would be my closest salmon location. So can anyone point me in a general area along that river to go. Any and all help/suggestions will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Title says it all. I want to hook into a salmon but know very little about what rigs to use (and what I have to buy) and how to use the rigs in general. I live in cambridge so I'm asuming credit river would be my closest salmon location. So can anyone point me in a general area along that river to go. Any and all help/suggestions will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey ricardo!

If you're looking for salmon, especially in the Credit River, a quick google search will provide you with some easily accessible locations. Be forewarned though, at this time of the year you will be fishing shoulder to shoulder with many people. So if you're looking for easily accessible and somewhat private fishing, good luck! lol :)

Why not try some parks on the Credit River between the 403 and Lake Ontario? It'll give you a place to start anyways.

I plan on hitting up Bronte soon. There is also the Fisherman's pier (Hamilton), which is just as close. A few salmon have been caught there too.

As for rigs, I use a 6'6 M St. Croix Premier, paired with a Shimano Sahara 2500FD and 10 lb Fireline braid. It really is a nice cheap combo.

Tie on a high quality snap swivel on the end of your line (make sure to use realllly good knots), and then clip on a heavy spoon such as a Cleo to your swivel. My favorite Cleo is the 3/4 oz silver/blue model. It catches all kinds of salmon and trout, but you can experiment youself and find your own personal favorite.

For techniques, basically lob them out as far as you can, count them down to different depths, and retrieve. Nothing glamorous really, but it does catch fish. You can experiment with different lure colors, depths, and retrieve speeds.

Get out there and tell us how you do!

As for rigs, I use a 6'6 M St. Croix Premier, paired with a Shimano Sahara 2500FD and 10 lb Fireline braid. It really is a nice cheap combo.

This definitely isn't a salmon rig.. You can pick up a cheap 10'6 Shimano Convergence for $70 that will give you a tonne more distance then a 6'6 spinning rod will... Everything else in that list will work just fine.

This definitely isn't a salmon rig.. You can pick up a cheap 10'6 Shimano Convergence for $70 that will give you a tonne more distance then a 6'6 spinning rod will... Everything else in that list will work just fine.

I agree with Bill on this one, I did see a guy this weekend using his "bass gear" and he was spooled very quickly. His words were I never thought I would get a hit today. LOL I have even seen guys that have been at the end of their spool not wanting to put any pressure on the fish whatsoever. It is aggravating to say the least.

Get yourself a Rapala RSC 8 to 9 ft rod the 9 ft 3/8 to 3/4 oz this is what I currently use it has some serious backbone to it. The 2500 is fine just make sure you have enough line on it.

Jose

I would tend to disagree Bill that a 10'6" will give you that much more distance. I always used to think that was the case, until I was launching little cleos 20-30ft further than the other guys on the pier this past weekend. Most were using 10'+ rods and I was using my 7' med St. Croix Avid. They seemed to be fairly experienced, so maybe I was using a more efficient casting technique?

I have my rod paired with a Shimano 2500 Symetre, using 10lb mono on one spool, 12lb mono on the other. I've come close to getting spooled, but still managed to land a 15-20lb chinny a month or so ago from a pie without much hasselr, and a 28" steelhead the next day, same spot.

I am going to be getting a salmon rod, but can't really afford much nowadays as a grad student. The longer rod will definitely be more appropriate for battling a monster chinny and it probably wouldn't hurt to pair it with a 4000 series Shimano, for extra line capacity.

I would tend to disagree Bill that a 10'6" will give you that much more distance. I always used to think that was the case, until I was launching little cleos 20-30ft further than the other guys on the pier this past weekend. Most were using 10'+ rods and I was using my 7' med St. Croix Avid. They seemed to be fairly experienced, so maybe I was using a more efficient casting technique?

They were doing a lot less work chucking spoons then you were, lol. Give me a rod that's 3ft longer and I'll easily outcast someone with a 6'6 or 7ft spinning rod, it's not even a contest but it's not all about casting distance either.. It also comes down to the fight as well.. A long rod is going to help a lot more when you get a screaming 30lb chromer on...

Edited by BillM

All else being equal, a longer rod will give more casting distance. It's all about leverage, which a longer rod has in spades. It will also be more efficient at fighting a fish, for the same reason.

Definitely agree that pier fishing is the way to go. River fishing for salmon has become a complete circus. Yes, it is possible to catch them in rivers, most easily by using little crankbaits, Flatfish, Kwikfish, etc. But in the past 20 years the crowds of hooligans that show up on local rivers once the salmon come in have grown completely out of control. It is basically impossible to fish in a lot of places, and definitely impossible to catch salmon legitimately after they've been snagged in the back and chased down the rapids by some idiot with a landing net.

Far better to camp out on a pier and enjoy yourself while casting with spoons, Flatfish, or what have you. The fish will be in better condition, and you won't have to worry about getting into fist fights with morons.

All else being equal, a longer rod will give more casting distance. It's all about leverage, which a longer rod has in spades. It will also be more efficient at fighting a fish, for the same reason.

Definitely agree that pier fishing is the way to go. River fishing for salmon has become a complete circus. Yes, it is possible to catch them in rivers, most easily by using little crankbaits, Flatfish, Kwikfish, etc. But in the past 20 years the crowds of hooligans that show up on local rivers once the salmon come in have grown completely out of control. It is basically impossible to fish in a lot of places, and definitely impossible to catch salmon legitimately after they've been snagged in the back and chased down the rapids by some idiot with a landing net.

Far better to camp out on a pier and enjoy yourself while casting with spoons, Flatfish, or what have you. The fish will be in better condition, and you won't have to worry about getting into fist fights with morons.

So true Craig, its a shame really.

As for rods definitely go longer, I have used everything from 7-11 feet and anything around 9 feet and longer seems to make a difference. As for reel, I use a stradic 4000 which provides more than enough backing the only downside is the weight. I also use powerpro, I have found it to be better for abrasion resistance and you can pack more of it on your reel.

Any of u guys been to the notty in angus yet was there yesterday got one and lost two good day didnt see to much out there but should be running soon soif any info plz let me know i wa s almost under bridge lol

You were there, caught fish, so keep at it. No one here is going to hand out information about that river.

Edited by BillM

They were doing a lot less work chucking spoons then you were, lol. Give me a rod that's 3ft longer and I'll easily outcast someone with a 6'6 or 7ft spinning rod, it's not even a contest but it's not all about casting distance either.. It also comes down to the fight as well.. A long rod is going to help a lot more when you get a screaming 30lb chromer on...

Can't argue with that Bill!

would tend to disagree Bill that a 10'6" will give you that much more distance. I always used to think that was the case, until I was launching little cleos 20-30ft further than the other guys on the pier this past weekend. Most were using 10'+ rods and I was using my 7' med St. Croix Avid. They seemed to be fairly experienced, so maybe I was using a more efficient casting technique?

you were using a better rod. I notice this too with my Loomis GL3. I am casting just as far or farther with a 7 foot Loomis GL3 with a 2/5 or 2/3ds oz Little Cleo than people using the 9 or 10 foot cheaper rods. 7 feet of high quality rod/taper is going to cast better than 9 or 10 feet of wet noodle.

nothing wrong with cheaper rods but they will not cast as well as the better quality rods like avids GL3s etc.

you really don't know until you cast one. and easier too. you just flick your wrist. takes much less effort with a good quality rod.

with the cheaper stuff it seems like you have to put your whole arm into it.

people are probably going to flame me, but I have noticed this too and I think this is probably why.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

people are probably going to flame me, but I have noticed this too and I think this is probably why.

I don't think anyone will flame you. You're right, a good quality rod will outcast a lower quality rod every single time.

But compare any seven-foot rod against a 10-foot rod of equal quality and it's no contest - the long rod will always cast farther and put more pressure on a hooked fish.

You can't overcome the laws of physics.

Get a long, good quality rod and you can fling lures for an incredibly long distance.

To get maximum range, it's also important to use a larger reel (4000 series or bigger). Larger reels have a larger spool diameter, which means less friction from the line as it peels off the spool.

Well sorry if i affended u guys i love to fish all around there whats the big secret about the notty lol theres no secret at al there great fishing salmon and rainbow there and its like there a big goverment secret ive fished it for over twenty yr i do agree there is a lot of ugy using heave eqipment and dont care and leave garbage thats crap well ill be there in morning if anyones got advice to help me land those big my mom hates me well ill be there lol

I'm stuck on using the equipment I have. I have an ugly stick, which I hear is good for salmon and a stanley rod with a dawai reel. I've got the ugly stick done up with 20lbs braid. Should I use a steal leader or a monofill one or won't make a difference. I am fortunate to have a few cleo lures already. Thanx for all the help and suggestions. I'm stoked to get out there if I can find the time.

I'm stuck on using the equipment I have. I have an ugly stick, which I hear is good for salmon and a stanley rod with a dawai reel. I've got the ugly stick done up with 20lbs braid. Should I use a steal leader or a monofill one or won't make a difference. I am fortunate to have a few cleo lures already. Thanx for all the help and suggestions. I'm stoked to get out there if I can find the time.

I just tie my braid direct to the snap swivel, then attach it to the lure. I've seen some guys use mono/fluoro leaders, but I still catch fish running braid right to my lure. I really don't think the fish care. They seem to bite more out of aggression than hunger.

I probably will buy a bigger rod, but 10 ft seems huge, because I usually use 6-7 ft rods. Maybe I'll get a 9 ft MH or something eventually.

You should try on a 13'6 float rod, or even a 15ft.... 10ft isn't big, especially for pier chucking.

I just tie my braid direct to the snap swivel, then attach it to the lure. I've seen some guys use mono/fluoro leaders, but I still catch fish running braid right to my lure. I really don't think the fish care. They seem to bite more out of aggression than hunger.

Exactly the way I set mine up. Works pretty good!