This year taking a big hit / NF

davey buoy

This year alone three companies I work for were bought out and moved to the states. Another two are in the process of being bought out. What that means,yet to know. What was a great industry(ink) Seems to be heading south. How many more companies will we let outsiders buy?. Things are getting worse imo. My rant for the day.Thanks.:(Needed to blow off a little steam.:angry:

Edited by davey buoy

I not sure who "they" are my thought is it would have to be the owners of the business that sold it. A business leaves to become more profitable or to cut out overhead from the employees or the taxes/governmental structure. The company has a responsibility to survive and to it's investors before it has a duty to employ an employee. I have no hard feelings when Moen moved to Canada it was the outrageous requests of the employees that made the decision for them. The company is now very viable and provides a product that is less expensive than had it stayed in the USA. I see this as a positive not a negative. I am sure with your talents you will be employed in a place that if with everyone's cooperation and willingness to help out in these competitive times can stay profitable and in Canada.

Art

I not sure who "they" are my thought is it would have to be the owners of the business that sold it. A business leaves to become more profitable or to cut out overhead from the employees or the taxes/governmental structure. The company has a responsibility to survive and to it's investors before it has a duty to employ an employee. I have no hard feelings when Moen moved to Canada it was the outrageous requests of the employees that made the decision for them. The company is now very viable and provides a product that is less expensive than had it stayed in the USA. I see this as a positive not a negative. I am sure with your talents you will be employed in a place that if with everyone's cooperation and willingness to help out in these competitive times can stay profitable and in Canada.

Art

Art I was waiting for your weigh in. This has been going on for years. I always seemed to dodge the bullet. This time the industry is being run from the states. The biggest players are all american. I can name more than a few.Some have just set up warehouses to store ink here and be delivered when needed. All ink comes by tanker and or truck, manufactured south of here.I will survive,new direction is where I'm going. I always thought that there was a law that no one could have a monopoly? I guess it included out of country companies as well.

Edited by davey buoy

I think a classic example is Caterpillar from London, ON.

Cat bought up a profitable company (Electro Motiv) ---and at 1st contract asked employees to take a 50% cut (yes there's proof)

Shipping those jobs to a job starved town in Indiana---no more jobs in London

Or US Steel buying up it's competition (Stelco) and shuttin em down (I actually believed that was illegal)

It really should be more than bottom lines ALL the time-----profit is good---but it should be tempered with human respect and it goes both ways.

I think a classic example is Caterpillar from London, ON.

Cat bought up a profitable company (Electro Motiv) ---and at 1st contract asked employees to take a 50% cut (yes there's proof)

Shipping those jobs to a job starved town in Indiana---no more jobs in London

Or US Steel buying up it's competition (Stelco) and shuttin em down (I actually believed that was illegal)

It really should be more than bottom lines ALL the time-----profit is good---but it should be tempered with human respect and it goes both ways.

I agree. How's the free trade working for us lately?:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:.Sorry couldn't resist.

I agree. How's the free trade working for us lately?:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:.Sorry couldn't resist.

Yes coming from The Hammer at the time---it was like rats leavin the sinkin ship

Firestone---Harvester----Now P and G---and that's just a couple---yeah Capitalism at work equated to moving trucks leaving Hamilton

But in fairness now---Flint and Detroit are getting a taste--and the US is actually losing their jobs to lower bidders offshore

Maybe it is a Karma thing

Yes coming from The Hammer at the time---it was like rats leavin the sinkin ship

Firestone---Harvester----Now P and G---and that's just a couple---yeah Capitalism at work equated to moving trucks leaving Hamilton

But in fairness now---Flint and Detroit are getting a taste--and the US is actually losing their jobs to lower bidders offshore

Maybe it is a Karma thing

Mexico and China! plus others.

Are you understanding what you're saying right now? :)

Actually comprehension has always been one of my strong suits

Dictionary.com defines Karma as...

kar·ma

   [kahr-muh] Show IPA

noun

Hinduism, Buddhism . action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation: in Hinduism one of the means of reaching Brahman. Compare bhakti ( def. 1 ) , jnana.

So it is somewhat evident you wished to belittle my usage of the word "Karma" in observing that what once was done to Canada is now being done in the US-----Bottom line production lines

Now am I understanding what I'm saying??

Actually the bottom line is the ruling drive in every culture. Karma is not a factor here. If any country wants to be the leader in a sector of a world economy they must make the sacrifices needed to bring a product to market that satisfies the most people either by quality or price. Jobs that are farmed out overseas are because they can provide the labor or material cheaper than the area where the product is sold. Now everyone has an idealist thought that we need to all make sacrifices to keep the jobs at home which is a noble thought that few can afford. We see this every day you open a BassPro flyer and see that rod X is $5.00 more in Canada than in the USA. The thread becomes a grumpfest on the injustice of the price being more up North. Now if it was just as easy to purchase and there was no shipping or taxes or penalties would you buy the rod from the USA? (Meaning save the $5.00 but send your money into an economy that does not support your infrastructure)( please answer this in your head so you can be honest). If we take this one step further and we decided that we all would take on the responsibility of buying only items made at home no matter the cost the system will still break down. The percentage of money (our income) that we have is divided out with priorities being met first Taxes, Food, Roof over our heads and essentials. The money we have left over for non essentials fishing gear, vacations, boats, and dinners out would become less and hurt the local tackle maker, cottage owners, marina, and restaurants. The currents of a world economics is like a tide it moves and flows, strong in some areas as it weakens in others. While the INK has moved to the USA I am sure we can find examples of jobs that the USA has lost to Canada that will replace the jobs that went South.

Art

TAXES, or better yer OVER-TAXATION is the root of all evil and in these ever shrinking monetary times the increasingly popular cousin of TAXATION, THE USER FEE. Leave more money in peoples pockets and let them decide how they choose to spend the money they sweat and bleed for. Who knows, if they have more dough in their pockets at the end of every week they might be inclined to sacrifice a lil more to keep the work right here at home. Attitudes are changing but is it enough and is it too late?

Actually Art I may or likely am in the ultra minority and will pay more for items produced 1st from Canada and 2nd from USA as per the trailer bearing discussion a while back

But this is way more than ink and I'm on the downhill now but would still hate to have to see North American workers have to retreat to working conditions of 3rd world countries just to compete.

Cause the shareholders are still maximizing and the worker is taking less and even on what is supposed to be gauranteed as in pensions.

I'm sure the Occupy movement has not gone far away-----because this is where it started.

kar·ma

   [kahr-muh] Show IPA

noun

Hinduism, Buddhism . action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation: in Hinduism one of the means of reaching Brahman. Compare bhakti ( def. 1 ) , jnana.

So it is somewhat evident you wished to belittle my usage of the word "Karma" in observing that what once was done to Canada is now being done in the US-----Bottom line production lines

You understand the meaning of the word Karma.

The lack of understanding stems from your equating "what was done to Canada is now being done IN the US". Business entities will move from Winnipeg to Toronto...from Chicago to Houston. That's karma as well, right? It's business. corporations will do whatever it takes to keep a business alive and as healthy as possible. You see, it's the shareholders who call the shots. It has nothing to do with 'karma'.

kar·ma

   [kahr-muh] Show IPA

noun

Bush will paint you a picture of what hes saying, and you will understand

In the same boat DB. I'm in the photo supply business, running the marketing division ( its just me ha ha) for a big Japanese company. Just waiting for the final blow as our Canadian division is destined to be closed and then run from the states. Not enough business nowadays with impact of digital. I've been there 25 years and don't think it'll last any more than 1 or 2 years max.

Have you ever actually been to any manufacturing facilities in Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Shenzhen??

I have.

So maybe you can post their benefit plan---pensions---dental--medical----overtime rates---stat holidays---bereavement leave etc.

I'm sure they get all these