anybody knows Hondas outboards ?

iFish4real

Hi everybody!

I have this 2000 25hp Honda 4stroke, tiller, manual start, bought it abt 2 months ago...This is my first boat and motor ever so, I really don't know much about them.

It pretty much starts OK but when I accelerate I have to do it very slowly, if I turn it up faster it would die, even after running it for a while and gets wormed up, looks like it gets air but not enough gas.

Anybody has some idea on how to fix that and what should I do for a good tuning on it?

Also, what pitch propeller I should have on it, it's mounted on a 14' Lund Adventure deep haul.

Thanks a million!!!

Hi there here is a good start to try....hope it helps

1) Carbs gummed up and jets clogged (requires cleaning out the carbs)

2) Plugged up Fuel Filter (replace fuel filter)

3) Faulty Fuel Pump

To Test for a faulty fuel pump all you do is when you crank up your throttle also pump up the bulb for your fuel and see if this helps if it does then you need a fuel pump.

Also regardless always change the spark plugs when you have issues most times a hair line crack acts as if there is a fuel issue.....

Hirk's idea is the first and best bet and also costs the least amount to replace.

I wonder how long it was sitting there unused prior to you getting it?

My 8HP Honda sat unused for a few year and it's carbs gummed up and the jets were clogged and it needed to be serviced to run properly again.

A 2000 Honda won't have a fuel pick up rotting in the tank, ethanol doesn't effect the hoses they use. Fuel pumps aren't checked by pumping on the bulb, the bulb primes the hose to get the gas there faster than just starting off the fuel pump alone. Honda's do have finer diameter fuel passages in the carbs. Rick mentioned a healthy dose of Seafoam. Probably a healthy does for the next 2 or 3 tankfuls. I've run Honda's since 1987, drain the carbs at the end of the season, drain the hoses from the connector on the motor and the long hose, drain the gas tank..dry, put it in your car. Change the fuel filter at the end of the year after everything's been emptied. My Honda 25 has been running for 16 years with no fuel/hose/carb problems. Get the owner manual and read it. They say to DRAIN the system for storage.