Spey Build - Update w/ pictures

kemper

My quiver of long sticks continues to grow - although this time in a different method.

My latest project is a 13'6" Rainshadow RX7 Spey rod (IST1369-4). Its a skagit cannon, grain window 600-650 and I can't wait to tame some Huron chrome with it.

Here's the pictures - will update with more as I get close to finishing up. This morning I managed to get all the guides wrapped, so all that's left is flex coat.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by kemper

Very sweet looking design Kemper. You might have to plan a trip out this way to really break it in!

Don't have to twist my arm too much one that one...

I think I'll give myself a season to learn how to not snag myself in the ars before getting too ambitious though

nice handle work, well done, what guides did you wrap on?

those are nice reels too...definitley a skagit cannon, when you visit BC make sure you explore squamish/whistler area, well suited stick for those rivers

Stripping guides are zirconium ring with TiCh frame, snake guides are TiCh too.

An update - rod is complete now less some detailing (blank info between hook keeper wrap and detail wrap above handle) that I'm going to leave until the deep of winter when I get bored.

Here's a couple pictures - will try to get better ones in the daylight - finding it difficult to get good shots of the threadwraps...

rainshadow2.jpg

Rainshadow1.jpg

I had a minor problem on the first two sections - something on the new brush polluted my flex coat and left a bit of cloudiness. The thread seems to have mostly soaked it up, and after a second coat it really isn't noticeable unless under direct artificial light.

This is by far my most "polished" build, but at the same time still a long way from where I would like to be. I find that I run out of patience quickly for wrapping guides, and make some mistakes on the trim bands that I simply don't care to fix.

Cheers,

Kemper

Maybe a spec sheet would interest some people...

I build almost exclusively on Batson blanks - I've had nothing but excellent experiences and I have a great supplier with even better prices.

Blank: Rainshadow RX7 IF1369-4

Reel Seat: Heavy Duty Spey, Aluminium, Double locking - Gunsmoke (RA 8.5L2-SG)

Winding Check: .453 Aluminium winding check

Hook Keeper - Ti Carb keeper

Stripper Guides - Batson XTCMXNZG (TiCh, Zirconium ring, chrome gunsmoke finish) (20, 16, 12)

Snake Guides - Batson XTCHSNGP (TiCH, Chrome gunsmoke finish) (6,5,5,4,4,4,4,4,4,4)

Tip Top - Batson XTCFTL 6.0

Everything but the blank and the cork comes from a great supplier out west.

Mark Light

Valley Custom Rods

www.valleycustomrods.com

They will set you up with everything you need - quick service and any issues are dealt with the right way. My last build the shipment was lost somewhere and they sent me out a new order at no extra charge right away.

I'm not sure about forum rules on posting non-sponsor links, so I'll remove if needed.

Funny how OFC gets around eh.

Kemp,I fished a local riv on sunday and met up with a riv fella. He had a king pin, and I was asking about it,as I am looking at buying one. Long talk short,he started talking about Spey fishing. I had said there was a member on a site that just built one.He tells me Spey fishing is awesome. I asked about how you fish it.It was a bit like fly fishing,and pining combined.Thats what I took from it.

Did some you tube search, and I like this style. (dont tell the mrs,s)More money to spend.LOL

Very nice build. :clapping:

Nicely done Brady!

I haven’t bit the bullet yet on a spey rod of my own yet but hopefully this fall I can get a spey or switch rod done – Last fall I had a great time swinging flies on one G-bay river using my friend’s spey rods in 5-7wts. It’s hard to beat throwing and swinging half a chicken to large, aggressive steelhead – especially when they’re rising for dries :D. Eagerly waiting to get both the new 6 and 7wt Sage One spey and switch rods in my hands before I make the final decision.

I really like the rear grip length, actually that is my preferred rear grip on my float rod. I just put together a switch rod set up hoping to give it a try this season, Went out to practice and the flies are whizzing few inches from my ears :D

Congrats on a job well done bud

Nicely done Brady!

I haven’t bit the bullet yet on a spey rod of my own yet but hopefully this fall I can get a spey or switch rod done – Last fall I had a great time swinging flies on one G-bay river using my friend’s spey rods in 5-7wts. It’s hard to beat throwing and swinging half a chicken to large, aggressive steelhead – especially when they’re rising for dries :D. Eagerly waiting to get both the new 6 and 7wt Sage One spey and switch rods in my hands before I make the final decision.

Thanks, man.

Next project is a lighter one, for those times when chucking an entire turkey isn't needed. If I really get into this game a sage might be in the cards... But until then I can't turn away the excellent price and product I get from batson.

I really like the rear grip length, actually that is my preferred rear grip on my float rod. I just put together a switch rod set up hoping to give it a try this season, Went out to practice and the flies are whizzing few inches from my ears :D

Congrats on a job well done bud

Thanks!

Length might be a bit deceiving, overall too long for a float rod in my opinion... Tapes out around 24 inches with only a 5.5 rear grip reason for the length is my natural grip width is fairly wide.

Thanks!

Length might be a bit deceiving, overall too long for a float rod in my opinion... Tapes out around 24 inches with only a 5.5 rear grip reason for the length is my natural grip width is fairly wide.

Funny you say that I think mine is a tad shorter than 5.5 and I've had a few guys tell me it's too far back to their liking, every one's different. The switch rod I have is a bit too short to my liking, (perhaps i need to learn to cast properly) , it's the wind warrior. Yours would be awesome to cast with all day :thumbsup_anim:

Is that a wind warrior reel?

Edited by spinnerdoc

Funny you say that I think mine is a tad shorter than 5.5 and I've had a few guys tell me it's too far back to their liking, every one's different. The switch rod I have is a bit too short to my liking, (perhaps i need to learn to cast properly) , it's the wind warrior. Yours would be awesome to cast with all day :thumbsup_anim:

Is that a wind warrior reel?

The reel is a Hardy - not exactly the tool for the job but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Likely I'll end up building a lighter spey rod and swap the Hardy on, and buy a heavier reel for this set-up.

I would really struggle with a rear grip that short on my float rod...I would think it would be really hard on the wrist because there is nothing to anchor under your forearm?