Why does this always happen

Paudash

Yesterday we had our yearly fishing tournament on our lake. As I do every year tournament day I get myself into a tizzy and end up catching nothing worth weighing in because we waste to much time running around thinking we know what we are doing instead of just fishing to the conditions of the day. So we turned turned in a bag of 5 lbs which is pretty much a joke because I can do that most days off the dock in a hour.

Now the part that really gets to me.

A few of get together after the weigh-in to talk about the day and decide go out for another shot at the lake and what happens in about 20 mins

2.5 LM

1.5 LM

4.2 LM

Then I get really pissed and go home :wallbash:

Yesterday we had our yearly fishing tournament on our lake. As I do every year tournament day I get myself into a tizzy and end up catching nothing worth weighing in because we waste to much time running around thinking we know what we are doing instead of just fishing to the conditions of the day. So we turned turned in a bag of 5 lbs which is pretty much a joke because I can do that most days off the dock in a hour.

Now the part that really gets to me.

A few of get together after the weigh-in to talk about the day and decide go out for another shot at the lake and what happens in about 20 mins

2.5 LM

1.5 LM

4.2 LM

Then I get really pissed and go home :wallbash:

Isn't that the truth lol.

Sooooo true. I entered our local bass tourney convinced i was going to win it or at least snag some goodies in the form of prizes. Why....because i can cacth 18" -20" smallies for fun, at will, in a few spots i know. Day of the tourney we did not even get 5 fish...only 4 (one was about 7").

Next day to drown my sorrows i head out and waddaya know...i had over 15 bass in as many minutes...in the same spots i fished the day before!

I dont fish competitions any more.....lol.

Edited by limeyangler

the thought of putting pressure on the joy of fishing has no appeal to me personally. I can understand those who do, but to me, fishing is one of the few things in life where the pleasure and the results are not judged by anything other than sheer relaxation and enjoyment I get from a day on the water. The OFC tourney is the only 1 I join. No pressure:- just the fun of seeing a group of guys (many of who are really good anglers) share their best catches of the season.

Must have been a frustrating day for ya - next time perhaps tell yourself - just fish. If ya win awesome, if not, you'll catch some big ones when its over.

Edited by spincast

Fish a tournament like you're fishing a new lake. Forget the hotspots and approach from an outside perspective. It's the only way to concentrate on conditions, which is what you were doing when you first found your "hotspots"

the thought of putting pressure on the joy of fishing has no appeal to me personally. I can understand those who do, but to me, fishing is one of the few things in life where the pleasure and the results are not judged by anything other than sheer relaxation and enjoyment I get from a day on the water. The OFC tourney is the only 1 I join. No pressure:- just the fun of seeing a group of guys (many of who are really good anglers) share their best catches of the season.

Must have been a frustrating day for ya - next time perhaps tell yourself - just fish. If ya win awesome, if not, you'll catch some big ones when its over.

Hear hear! clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Thats why the only derby I ever enter or ever will enter is fish for a cure..... and maybe fish for tyler.

Fish a tournament like you're fishing a new lake. Forget the hotspots and approach from an outside perspective. It's the only way to concentrate on conditions, which is what you were doing when you first found your "hotspots"

Ps, i never actually follow this advice, i get nervous and twitchy and desperately search for quick bites all day. Lol i hear you man i hear you!

i know the feeling only too well, after the walleye tournament up here last year where I couldn't buy a fish over 16 inches. the next day, i couldn't keep the 24 inchers off my line. MAYBE, this year will be different, LOL