Selective Harvest

Rich

Confront?

Re-educate?

The word aggressive comes to my mind. In his, he did nothing wrong and confronting/re-educating him could lead to whole new level of confrontation.

Just sayin.

You mean like,your not laying up on that par 4,that,s reachable with a 3 wood? HAHAHAHA

Back to our OP thread.

So provincial/national law takes precedent over everything? I disagree strongly, and believe I have every right to be critical of someone who is my eyes is harming fisheries unnecessarily. And yes, I understand the very act of fishing is essentially doing no good to our natural ecosystems, but unnecessarily killing trophy fish for meat, is in most cases a simple case of ignorance, so why not attempt to educate them?

but it is as you say "in your eyes", who are you to think you know better then the next person...that seems like one hell of an arrogance

go after the law and leave the legal fisherman alone, your are not better then them

do understand that there is a law against harassing legally fishing fishermen and that seems to be what you are doing, hope you get charged

Edited by Terry

If the guy in the video was planning on releasing that fish, then I would understand the criticism, and agree that he is an idiot. If he intended to keep it (legally), then I see no issue (though he very well might still be an idiot).

Look at the outcomes: This guy now (hopefully) has a very impressive fish mount on his wall that he gets to show off forever. One man is very happy, and some people that go to his place will be either impressed/amused or grossed out. His wife will hate it. Also, there is one less big, old, predatory fish (since we aren't talking about legality, then who cares what type...right?) swimming around in that river/lake. That particular fish will never reproduce again.

It is perfectly valid to think that killing a fish for a trophy or food is wrong or unethical...it just always sounds a little suspect coming from fishermen. Especially when accompanied by self-righteous outrage.

Besides, if you're into confrontation and re-education, there are plenty of illegal fishing practices to focus your vigilance on...

If the guy in the video was planning on releasing that fish, then I would understand the criticism, and agree that he is an idiot. If he intended to keep it (legally), then I see no issue (though he very well might still be an idiot).

Look at the outcomes: This guy now (hopefully) has a very impressive fish mount on his wall that he gets to show off forever. One man is very happy, and some people that go to his place will be either impressed/amused or grossed out. His wife will hate it. Also, there is one less big, old, predatory fish (since we aren't talking about legality, then who cares what type...right?) swimming around in that river/lake. That particular fish will never reproduce again.

It is perfectly valid to think that killing a fish for a trophy or food is wrong or unethical...it just always sounds a little suspect coming from fishermen. Especially when accompanied by self-righteous outrage.

Besides, if you're into confrontation and re-education, there are plenty of illegal fishing practices to focus your vigilance on...

It's called a replica, I really wouldn't be upset by this except that it was a musky...

do understand that there is a law against harassing legally fishing fishermen and that seems to be what you are doing, hope you get charged

I am not being arrogant. I was lucky enough to be raised with not only fishing, but catch and release since I was very young, and since I feel it a vital part of securing the future of fisheries that I plan to fish for years to come. I consider it a responsibility to let people know how I feel about the issue. No harassment or vigilance from me, but feel free to report me. :)

It's called a replica, I really wouldn't be upset by this except that it was a musky...

if you want a replica thats fine, some people like the real thing

try showing up at a party with a replica girl ..

real girl or blow up girl...well you will find out I am sure

yeah but as I say go after the law, get them to change it and leave the fishermen alone..if the law is changed to stop someone from killing a 54" muskie then we can insult anyone killing them, but if caught with in the law it is none of our business what he does with it

Terry I'm in full agreement with you.

If someone is acting within the law I don't know why some people feel it's OK to preach their opinion to try to change their habits.

I see this just like those who will knock on your door trying to convert you to their religion. Also not on in my book.

We as anglers/hunters must support all those who act within the law.

If we divide ourselves the antis will surely use this divide and concur.

I have no problem discussing different views but trying to converting those to your views when they are acting within the law and have different opinions is over the top.

You guys talk like this happens every day. You can probably count on one hand the number of fish this size that come into anyone's boat in one year.

I would say most go back. I would also say that over half die regardless of weather they were let go. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it gets really sad and pointless when those people try and force others to follow them in their thinking.

It is his right Paul.

No arguements there my little bearded buddy. I told him that it was legal,but a sad mistake.When asked why he had no net, or tools onboard while fishing Musky, his answer was he spent 1000$ on rods and tackle, and could not afford a net and tools.

When asked if he couldnt pay for proper tools, how was he going to pay the 1000+$ to have it mounted, he mean mouthed me and logged off.dunno.gif Then logged back in and proudly announced he was going back out Musky fishing again tonite.

I see the need for education hereangel.png

As long as they are within the law I say people should mind their own business and move on. This will most likely cause a crap storm but I say if you are really so concerned about this, lobby to get the laws changed. Until then quit poking your nose into others business it might get poked back.

As long as they are within the law I say people should mind their own business and move on. This will most likely cause a crap storm but I say if you are really so concerned about this, lobby to get the laws changed. Until then quit poking your nose into others business it might get poked back.

I've kept Muskies for the smoker , 33" Walleye , 22" Smallies and 45" Pike .... Not to mention the Sheepshead , Silver Bass , Gar , Catfish , Snapping Turtles , Bullfrogs , Clams an Crayfish .... all you can friggin' eat ....

I don't always do it .... but when I do , I do it for a reason ...

To each their own .

Randy

:)

I've kept Muskies for the smoker , 33" Walleye , 22" Smallies and 45" Pike .... Not to mention the Sheepshead , Silver Bass , Gar , Catfish , Snapping Turtles , Bullfrogs , Clams an Crayfish .... all you can friggin' eat ....

I don't always do it .... but when I do , I do it for a reason ...

To each their own .

Randy

smile.gif

Bens Voyons Randy !!!! No mud puppies !!!???w00t.gif

I in true honesty dont even see the harm in mounting a fish. Really, somebody does it once in a lifetime. Put it this way, if 5 pounders are all you catch, keep them and you might get some 6 or 7's next year. If all you catch is 12" bass and one 5 pounder per year, think about it. Thats one less chance to get a 5+ next year, until all you ever get is 12" fish.