Stcked trount pond - need fishing tips

hotsky

I'm going to fish at a stocked pond for rainbow trout and bass this weekend, but I never fished for trout before. I have a few Mepps Syclops lures that I use for pike but know they are also good for salmon. I'm guessing they would work well there too? I have a little bit of everything in my tackle box and will be fishing from shore (small pond) with my GF so need some tips on locating the fish and what lures and techniques to use. Thanks.

Its in a conservation area. Id rather use lures will the syclospes work?

This is a stocked pond these fish have eaten trout chow all their lives . Any way you dont want to catch to many as in these ponds the trout are catch and KEEP and at the prices per inch and I see you trying to save money on boat and fish finder etc. you should hope to NOT CATCH MANY as five of these fish will buy you that watch fish finder easy .. Lures MAY work but these fish will average 1 to 2 pounds , stick to corn ,trout pelets or worms ..This is like fishing in your bath tub , ...

Edited by capt bruce

Its in a conservation area. Id rather use lures will the syclospes work?

Do you have any Little Cleos? I don't know much about pond fishing (only did it once as a kid in winter, and we used a hook and piece of corn.. But I suspect we could have used a bare hook). However, I've caught lots of brook trout from stocked lakes using those, as well as small Panther Martins. Mepps #3 dressed work well too, though I've not caught on those (fishing partners have).

I wouldn't know about the Syclops - I've casted them a bit but never had a hit.

Edited by Dana

A lot of the fish you find in stocked ponds are fairly small, so keep lures small as well. I've always done well with a number one Mepps. Small Panther Martins work well. So do small crappie jigs.

Anything large enough to interest bass or salmon will often scare the crap out of pond trout.

Use a live worm, either on bottom or under a float. It catches everything.