Dock Fishing in Hamilton

BradMc76

Hey folks! You guys have (unknowingly) helped me out with a few spots around when looking for fishing spots. But, now I'm going to come right out and get straight to the point.

I live in Hamilton, with no boat. I have a car, though. But, the question I have is this: Where is good Bass fishing in Hamilton? Pier 4? Bayfront Park? And, what is good to use?

I'm kind of a self-taught fisherman, and I use simple stuff (worms, small hook, bobber!!) But I have been trying spinners, spoons, jigs and I haven't caught a thing. I have no real idea how to use these.

But, really, the only thing I've caught is goby, goby, goby!! I have hit a couple of Rock Bass, Smallmouth (I think) and a nice carp on the Grand River. But I am looking for more!

I really want to catch a NICE bass. Or a Muskie. Or even a Pike. SOMETHING that is bigger than my hand.

So, any tips on hot spots? How to use lures? Sizes?

IMG326.jpg

Edited by BradMc76

probably the easiest bass close to you during this time of year is those rivers flowing into lk Ontario---like Bronte etc

just arm yourself with some panther martin spinners in a little box that fits in your pocket---don't forget an in-line swivel for line twist

find deeper pools--like your trout fishin and toss them upstream of the hole--and let it flutter down and thru

you may need old runners and shorts this time of year---cause you'll likely walk in the water to different spots

care is also needed if you've never waded while fishin---some spots are deeper than they look---a buddy may be a good idea for a couple trips

you likely won't get a world record but there should be action

throwin various lures at these rivers where they dump in the lake where water is deeper--may get your pike

You should take a day trip out to the grand river near caledonia, I would use mepps or panther martins as stated above that way you can cover lots of water. If your going to the grand you chances go way up of catching fish if you go in the water either in canoe or wade in. If in a canoe be aware of the caledonia dam.

I'm in Hamilton too and got a Binbrook year pass, caught pike, bullhead, carp, bass, black crappie, white crappie there. but also too many time got skunked!

I'm self taught as well (and still learning) with a help from internet :D but I don't use worms, as they don't target anything specific and will mostly catch small bait fish.

Go to Bills bait and tackle or Fishing world and buy some lures. For bass mister twisters, for pike spoons, spinners. I like Mepp Syclops and Aglia.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

Worms sure can be specific if you know how to rig em ...

As for near you, keep a spinner on the line. Its simple. Cast and reel. It catches almost anything around, of all sizes, and covers lots of water so you can get an idea where the fish are congregating. Pier 4 park has plenty to catch, albeit sees lots of shore pressure, but enough throws of a spinner in that area never left me disappointed. Binbrook is great too, lots of shore access to many fishy spots. Walk a little further than the obvious spots and you may have a very memorable day.

When you throw a spinner, fan-cast the area you're in, try a variety of retrieves, twitches, stops, etc and let the fish tell you what they want. Before you move to the next spot, be sure you've tried EVERY inch of water in a bunch of different ways before moving on. Pressured predators can be annoyed into biting. Good luck!

I live in southern Burlington. I can take a 2 minute drive to la salle park and catch pike, bass, panfish, as well as trout and salmon in the colder months. The only problem with la salle is it's infested with gobbys and they will gladly eat your bait before any other fish gets to it. Besides from la salle, other places such as bronte harbour, cootes paradise, bayfront, etc. will all have some bigger fish kicking around.

The salmon should also be starting to move in about now, try heading down to the fishermans pier at dawn or dusk, cast spoons as far off as you can, and you may get a 20 to 30 pound salmon.

The salmon should also be starting to move in about now, try heading down to the fishermans pier at dawn or dusk, cast spoons as far off as you can, and you may get a 20 to 30 pound salmon.

I'll do that one tomorrow. I have a couple of smaller spoons, and a couple of good sized ones. 5 of diamonds (red on yellow) and 2 Red and White stripe daredevil.

But......

Fish.jpg

Caught that today with a 2" yellow grub. Biggest bass I've caught yet. About a pound.

But......

Fish.jpg

Caught that today with a 2" yellow grub. Biggest bass I've caught yet. About a pound.

That is Rock Bass... they don't get much bigger than that.

Since you're new to this it might be worthwhile to learn to identify fish properly.

Learn your fish using charts like this etc...

http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/bigposter.html

Edited by ehg

Okay, so it's NOT a bass, but a sunfish called a Rock Bass? This is going to take a while to learn. :)

I could use an idea on this kind of stuff.... and lure sizes.

Upsize my lure? Bigger? I need actual visual comparisons.

Tonight, I am heading down to fisherman's pier to try that Salmon thing. Anyone heading that way? Can I borrow your net? :)

Brad, maybe you might want to look for a fishing friend, someone to show you a few tricks... when I first joined this board I had the opportunity to fish with some really great people and learned a whole bunch of things. Even though I have been fishing since I was little with my dad, the knowledge here is exceptional. When you get a chance to fish with someone else... watch what they are doing... You will catch on rather quickly. It is all about putting in the time... The grand river is a great place to fish. Every Species you can wish for!

Brad, maybe you might want to look for a fishing friend, someone to show you a few tricks... when I first joined this board I had the opportunity to fish with some really great people and learned a whole bunch of things. Even though I have been fishing since I was little with my dad, the knowledge here is exceptional. When you get a chance to fish with someone else... watch what they are doing... You will catch on rather quickly. It is all about putting in the time... The grand river is a great place to fish. Every Species you can wish for!

Jen that is a splendid idea. I am going to try and do that. :)