Lovin the new Yammy

mike rousseau

Got my new yamaha 50hp tiller friday.... Got home around 1:00-2:00... Had it mounted and in the water by 3:30 to start the break in...

Did the first 2 stages of break in and half the third stage....

Then Saturday was the true test.... A 9 hour walleye tournament out of NY state...

It ran great.... The extra power in the waves was helpful in keeping our speed... The "variable troll speed" feature is awesome... So quiet from 20-30 feet away the cooling water hitting the river is the only way you know it's running...

And I love having a trim switch right in the throttle under my thumb at all times...

And man... EFI motors start soooo nice...

BTW... The tourny was our first in that area of the st.lawrence... We took 5th place with 13.5 pounds.... Lots ad great people involved and lots of prizes for everyone... It was held by the "st Lawrence river walleye association"

wow, now we run virtually the exact same setup.

same motor, virtually same boat.

you'll LOVE it.

I've owned mine for 2 and 3/4 seasons and I've YET to not have it start on the first turn.

It doesn't have a choke - no need for one.

Also, I've yet to "prime the ball" since I bought it.

It is the perfect motor!

Just wished the VTS would work at all RPM's, not just the "lowest" one.

Did you get the guages to go with the motor? I'm guessing your analog guages didn't work with the new motor either?

wow, now we run virtually the exact same setup.

same motor, virtually same boat.

you'll LOVE it.

I've owned mine for 2 and 3/4 seasons and I've YET to not have it start on the first turn.

It doesn't have a choke - no need for one.

Also, I've yet to "prime the ball" since I bought it.

It is the perfect motor!

Just wished the VTS would work at all RPM's, not just the "lowest" one.

Did you get the guages to go with the motor? I'm guessing your analog guages didn't work with the new motor either?

No gauges yet...

Saw the digital round ones on eBay for $250... Dealer wanted $400

Might get one in a couple weeks

Ya, I didn't do mine until earlier this year when I got all the work done on the boat...

I paid for the mutlifunction TAC, slightly more than teh standard guage.

With custom installation it came to around $600

Not cheap, but nice to see the RPM's...

I felt the "loss" of the guages when I upgraded motors, as my old boat/motor had the analog guages...but I wouldn't miss them if I didn't have the analog ones in the first place.

Even Quinte, -15 degree's, starts up first try. Just keep the batteries charged!

Glad you like the new yammie.. I just completed my 10hrs the past long weekend.

SOOOO excited to troll with this awesome motor!

Are you goin to have the dealer do the 10hr maintence or do it yourself?

I think I may just do it myself.. I doubt they do anything but change oil/filter, lower end fluid, fuel filter and check spark plugs.

IMG_0938.jpg

Edited by RangerGuy

Glad you like the new yammie.. I just completed my 10hrs the past long weekend.

SOOOO excited to troll with this awesome motor!

Are you goin to have the dealer do the 10hr maintence or do it yourself?

I think I may just do it myself.. I doubt they do anything but change oil/filter, lower end fluid, fuel filter and check spark plugs.

IMG_0938.jpg

It's a 20 hour service....

1 hour under 2000 rpm

1 hour on plane at half throttle

8 hours regular use... But only 5 min wide open at a time

10 hours regular use

And in the manual it shows all the points of inspection the certified Yamaha mechanic has to check.... There's a lot...

Wow, must be different for the 75s.

My manual lists:

-Fuel Filter

-Fuel System

-Gear Oil

-Engine Oil

-Spark Plugs.

All at 10hrs (1 Month) and the only thing that show either yourself or dealer is the battery inspection/changing. Actually very few dealer required checks in my manual, most are owner OR dealer.. I'm gonna do the 10 hour one and bring her into the dealer at the end of the season for a check up :)

Wow, must be different for the 75s.

My manual lists:

-Fuel Filter

-Fuel System

-Gear Oil

-Engine Oil

-Spark Plugs.

All at 10hrs (1 Month) and the only thing that show either yourself or dealer is the battery inspection/changing. Actually very few dealer required checks in my manual, most are owner OR dealer.. I'm gonna do the 10 hour one and bring her into the dealer at the end of the season for a check up :)

I agree you have to at least get it to the dealer by end of season if not for anything else,Warranty!!!!!!!! Keep all receipts for any work you do and when.

Edited by davey buoy

Thing is you wanna get it to the dealer for the first service because if anything is wrong you wanna catch it early before you do serious damage to your motor...

Then after that do your own work...

That's why Yamaha is 20 hours ( or 10 in your book) not 100-200-300 hours like other manufacturers.... It's only about $150 for the first service... After that I'll do my own oil changes etc...

Thing is you wanna get it to the dealer for the first service because if anything is wrong you wanna catch it early before you do serious damage to your motor...

Then after that do your own work...

That's why Yamaha is 20 hours ( or 10 in your book) not 100-200-300 hours like other manufacturers.... It's only about $150 for the first service... After that I'll do my own oil changes etc...

hi mike,

that's exactly what's been sitting in the back of my mind. My dealer is 2hrs away so I'm trying to get them to do it on a Saturday , so I don't have to

Make that drive twice lol. I know I can do the work but they may check all the cylinder bolt heads for proper torque etc

hey was just looking at your pic again, what mounting hole is your motor in? I had mine lifted to the second hole from the top.

Wow! Last hole..

I was thinking I can come another hole. Is that explorer a 20" transom?

Maybe the diff is my transom doesn't drop down in the middle like yours, it goes straight across.

I also noticed that our tiller arms are a little different where they mount to the motor. I have that big tension bar, which I dislike as it rattles LOL!

20 inch give or take an inch i guess....

just got back from my 20 hour service... this is what the paperwork lists was done

changed oil and filter

changed lower unit oil

inspected: water pump; spark plugs; propeller and shaft; throttle control; shifter control; trim; all transom bolts and nuts

tested unit with water muffs and rechecked oil

ALL O.K.

$131.05 parts and labor

Man.. I thought I was doin good put'n time on my motor LOL! You already got 20 on her HAHA! that's awesome..

I went home and re-read my manual. Funny thing it shows service at 20 hrs the one on the website says 10 ..wierd...

Anyways, I contacted my dealer and they are gonna work it so they do it on a Saturday so I don't have to make the trip twice... Now that's service!!!

I'm going to do the same thing, first service at the dealer just to protect my investment.

If you get a chance Mike can you take a pic of your motor down on the transome. So I can see the hieght of the Cavitation plate?

I'm just curious because my mechanic was surprised that I wanted the motor lifted, so I tried goin up 1 hole. But I don't see the cavitation plate until I trim.. I think I should probably see it when it's on plane trimmed or not.

Nice motor. I have the 60

If you want full guages on it just go get a Lowrance HDS 7 and a couple of connectors. It plugs right into the motor and gives you everything from fuel use to RPM's

Lol

Yeah.... Humminbird too... If I would have spent 100 more and got the step up from my unit... It would hook up as well... Instead of a $400 dollar gauge kit...

Man.. I thought I was doin good put'n time on my motor LOL! You already got 20 on her HAHA! that's awesome..

I went home and re-read my manual. Funny thing it shows service at 20 hrs the one on the website says 10 ..wierd...

Anyways, I contacted my dealer and they are gonna work it so they do it on a Saturday so I don't have to make the trip twice... Now that's service!!!

I'm going to do the same thing, first service at the dealer just to protect my investment.

If you get a chance Mike can you take a pic of your motor down on the transome. So I can see the hieght of the Cavitation plate?

I'm just curious because my mechanic was surprised that I wanted the motor lifted, so I tried goin up 1 hole. But I don't see the cavitation plate until I trim.. I think I should probably see it when it's on plane trimmed or not.

From what I understand...

You want you motor as high as possible without cavitating....

Normally... The cavitation plate lines up with the lowest point on your transom....