Balsam Lake over the long weekend

mirogak

Being a relatively new angler, I suppose I still have lots to learn - but what amazes me is how some anglers hit the max limit in an hour or two and I manage 2 fish in 7 hours. Is it the technique, the time of day, the water, the temp, the cloud patterns, the lures, the bait ...etc. What really does it?

On my previous two outings I hit Rice lake after folks here recommended it. I did manage one or two eyes on each trip but that's it. Then this past weekend, thought I hit Balsam lake as I can spend the night there too in the park. And so I did. Plus a buddy of mine at work told me that if you start fishing at 3 or 4 in the morning, you'll catch fish after fish. Just troll along that big island. And so I did. And here is a little clip of my outing.

I'll admit you will see more of me and the boat than you will of the fish. I caught one walleye (a keeper at 14 inches) and a blue gill. I must say Walleye kicks Blue Gill's butt. I cooked them both the same way and the Walleye tasted much better. BUT doesn't even come close to the heavenly taste and experience of catching and enjoying a nice AP brookie.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4txDfbpfmm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by letsgofishing

The more time you get to spend on the water, you come to realize, fish activity varies, it's unpredictable, you might not have been doing anything wrong it's just the bite was off and they were inactive, to get a decent walleye on Balsam is an achievement (it's not a walleye factory)

In July, I was up at the Attawapiskat (waaaaaay up there, fly-in), I knew the fish were there but I also knew the bite was tough, I caught as many fish in the 4.5 days I was there that I expected to catch in a single day. Likely there was things I could have done to boat a few more fish, but when the bites off, it's tough

You certainly have the bug, and I can tell you'll start picking things up faster than most.

Balsam is a great lake, but just about everywhere in S Ontario will tough during a mid-summer hot spell on the busiest long weekend of the year.

Now time to look into trolling motors and GPS'.

I think the main issue is you are letting other fisherman tell you what the fish are doing. Let the fish tell you on each given day. This of course will come easier as your experience grows, but IMO you will become a much better angler if you rely on the fish more so then "dock talk"

Edited by Harrison

Good job on the video. Found those maps kinda helpful when on new lakes.

Balsam is a good lake. Pike are in there now on west side especially.

It seemed tough for everyone that weekend so don't be too discouraged.

Spinners and topwaters are productive starting last week of August into first few weeks of September. Try casting shorelines from boat. Seems to work for me.

Keep at it. :Gonefishing:

Many a true word above. I have, and you will doubtless as you fish more and more, found myself on both sides of the "some anglers hit the max limit in an hour or two and I manage 2 fish in 7 hours" equation. Many is the day I have hit the water to come home with similar 2 fish in a day experience only to see posts of boxes full of fish, big smiles and PB's by other anglers on the same or similar bodies of water . On the other hand, I have also had absolute killer days, the kind you only get once a year when you almost can't keep the fish off your line, and heard the charter capts struggling and find reports from other anglers who experienced wallbash.gifwallbash.gif all day. Its fishing, and the wins make the tough ones worthwhile.

Harrison has a great point - go with what feels right, not what you have heard or read. By all means read and consider, but do what, and where you feel you should - make it a part of what you do - not all that you do. In the long run it always wins out. Keep on searchin

(edited for spelling)

Edited by spincast

Experience is the best teacher.

Your boundless enthusiasm for the sport will eventually pay off in spades. :)

...and sometimes you catch the good fish when least expecting..I caught this eye on Rice Lake this past Saturday..High noon, Bright sun and 90 degrees! Not the conditions you usually catch them in, but I did search in deeper water which is where I would expect eye's to be at this time of year after doing some research... I salute your work effort and at least you were not skunked !-skdds

DSCN7490.JPG

That's a nice one there skdds.

And thanks to you all for the encouraging comments.

And I totally agree with "experience being the best teacher". After every trip I say I wish I had tried this or that, and then I do; and then learn something out of it. My techniques are changing and adapting.

I ain't done with fishing yet but I must admit, I have been spoiled by those brookies in Algonquin back in Spring and nothing comes even close to that experience.

Cheers

Edited by letsgofishing

That's a nice one there skdds.

And thanks to you all for the encouraging comments.

And I totally agree with "experience being the best teacher". After every trip I say I wish I had tried this or that, and then I do; and then learn something out of it. My techniques are changing and adapting.

I ain't done with fishing yet but I must admit, I have been spoiled by those brookies in Algonquin back in Spring and nothing comes even close to that experience.

Cheers

Balsam is a great fishery with a lot of smallies,eyes,musky,panfish and of course pike now.It is also your typical Kawartha lake with lots of weed beds,rock and fallen wood.Walleyes love those weeds and when it is hot like it has been you gotta get your lure down and in there.Jigging holes and edges of weedbeds during the day can be productive.In the evening fishing rock shoals coming out of deep water is a good pattern.I like to see a mix of weed and rocky breaks.The lake has many stretches of water with this,all can produce at any time.Patience is always key.Some days you will be floored with what you can catch on a crappy jig and other days you gotta wonder what that perch was thinking going after a 10 inch believer.That's fishing!Have fun.

Kerry