Help with my Minn Kota

Cudz

I was using my bow mount motor this evening and I set it to constant at a very slow speed. My battery is at full charge but after about 2 minutes of constant speed I could hear it slowing down and then stop working. I check battery power and it is still full. It can turn fine but no propulsion. The prop doesn't turn at all. When I pressthe foot control it make one clicking sound (which is the usual sound it makes as the prop begins to spin). It also makes the same clicking sound when I take my foot off the pedal (that too is normal). So it seems I may have burnt out my motor??? There was no smell of electrical fire and there was no smoke. Still turns and clicks but no prop spin at all.

Anyone else have this issue? It is just over 2 years old. It is a 55 lb thrust powerdrive unit.

Anyone know how to get this fixed or where to take it?

ANy help would b appreciated.

I was using my bow mount motor this evening and I set it to constant at a very slow speed. My battery is at full charge but after about 2 minutes of constant speed I could hear it slowing down and then stop working. I check battery power and it is still full. It can turn fine but no propulsion. The prop doesn't turn at all. When I pressthe foot control it make one clicking sound (which is the usual sound it makes as the prop begins to spin). It also makes the same clicking sound when I take my foot off the pedal (that too is normal). So it seems I may have burnt out my motor??? There was no smell of electrical fire and there was no smoke. Still turns and clicks but no prop spin at all.

Anyone else have this issue? It is just over 2 years old. It is a 55 lb thrust powerdrive unit.

Anyone know how to get this fixed or where to take it?

ANy help would b appreciated.

You are fortunate in that you are only a short drive from Rocky's tackle service in Orillia, just off #11 at 10 Braemer I think. Go north on #11 past old Sundial inn lot at Sundial Drive, next exit turn right onto Huronia, follow along #11 until 3rd left onto Braemer. It's a dead end, look for sign on building on north side of road. Call to make sure i have directions right, going from memory and I'm tired. He is a Minn Kota service centre. I needed a new foot pedal and he fixed me up quick. Good prices too. Andy

I had the same thing happen to mine a year ago. Mine could still turn left and right but the prop wouldn't spin. I could hear the power switch toggling on and off like you said every time I hit the throttle. It ended up being a bad wire. It's easy to check, just make sure you check every where. If it's not that, then it's probably your circuit board. I initially thought that was the problem with mine, so if your in the market for a new board for cheap send me a pm....

circuit board is a possibility for sure also armature and brushes, try tapping the motor see if it starts spinning, is there a lighted direction arrow in the head? if so its wired to the motor usually if its turning on when you press the pedal it a problem between the head and motor if not look at circuit board

I had a powerdrive and went through 3 foot pedals. It's a common problem. I agree go to Rocky's and he'll fix ya up.

I was on my second pedal on my last Minn Kota as well.

They do pack it in quite often.

They hold up a lot better if you store them out of the weather when not in use.

I took the boat to Rocky's this morning and it appears to be something with my foot pedal. He swapped mine out for one of his and it worked fine. Then I put mine back on and it worked. It totally baffled both of us as other than swapping foot pedals, nothing else was touched. So he took apart the bottom end anyway to have a look and it was in perfect condition. Not sure what is going on but there it must be a pedal issue. Maybe one of the female receptors on the plug was misaligned and by putting his pedal into it, it realigned itself. Who knows. I am almost tempted to get a new pedal just in case but they are about $140.

I find that I have to step on my pedal pretty hard now to make it work. It has been like that for about 3 weeks now when I fished all day in the rain. Somehow the water must cause issues so as Drifter suggested, I am trying harder to store it out of the elements when not using it.

PS.

Thanks for all the help.

Service at Rocky's was great.

Edited by Cudz

I took the boat to Rocky's this morning and it appears to be something with my foot pedal. He swapped mine out for one of his and it worked fine. Then I put mine back on and it worked. It totally baffled both of us as other than swapping foot pedals, nothing else was touched. So he took apart the bottom end anyway to have a look and it was in perfect condition. Not sure what is going on but there it must be a pedal issue. Maybe one of the female receptors on the plug was misaligned and by putting his pedal into it, it realigned itself. Who knows. I am almost tempted to get a new pedal just in case but they are about $140.

I find that I have to step on my pedal pretty hard now to make it work. It has been like that for about 3 weeks now when I fished all day in the rain. Somehow the water must cause issues so as Drifter suggested, I am trying harder to store it out of the elements when not using it.

PS.

Thanks for all the help.

Service at Rocky's was great.

Lebarons has them for $100.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp12/minnkota_access.pdf

Even cheaper on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MINN-KOTA-POWERDRIVE-FOOT-CONTROL-PEDAL-2774700-NEW-/400224558671

Edited by DRIFTER_016

The Lebaron pedal is correct but the ebay one you show will not work as my motor is a V2. I did find one on ebay for about $90 but then they wanted $20+ for shipping.