Charging Deep Cycle batteries

hotsky

I picked up a Deep Cycle battery from Costco (750 cranking amps, 115 AP) to use with my Minn Kotta 30lb and just looked over the manual for my Motomaster Eliminator charger and as I never charged a battery other than AA and AAA before :blush: I wanted to hear from people who use them a lot. Manual warns about the danger of explosive gasses, battery exploading and things like that. Now I live in an apartment, is it safe to charge it in my living room? Manual said it needs to be done in well ventilated areas or should I put it out on the balcony? Also is it really that dangerous to have a smoke when you're on the boat with a battery aboard? I was going to get a small cooler and keep the battery in it when I'm on the boat to keep it dry, is that a good idea or does it need to be out? So are these things really that dangerous or it's just lawyer talk?

BTW how long do these batteries keep their charge before dropping to say below 80% when put away fully charged?

Also, how long should I expect my Minn Kotta run for on that battery if I use 3-4 speed?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

One thing I've learned is that automotive chargers tend to boil deep cycle batteries.. You really want a 'smart' charger specifically for these batteries if you want them to last.. They'll step down the charge once the battery is almost full, etc..

Do not charge it in your living room.

Charge it out on the balcony.

Set the charger on 2 amp only to charge a deep cycle.

Hook the positive clamp on first, then the negative.

When unhooking the clamps, take the negative off first, this will avoid sparking.

The gas's that a battery gives off when charging will stink up you apartment.

The smoking part means, dont have a cigarette in your hand while handling the battery while it is on the charger.

Yes you can smoke in the boat while fishing.

As for the cooler to keep the battery dry, not a good idea as gas's can be released from the battery and build up inside the cooler. Besides the battery case is plastic so water wont hurt it.

Batteries can explode if not handled properly, and when they do it is like a bomb exploding.

Handle it properly and you wont have to worry.

Thanks for the link.

Another question Is it OK for the battery to be charged part way than turned off (if I have to leave somewhere), and continued charging later? OR should I make sure it's always charged till full?

The "smart" eliminator charger is on sale at CT tomorrow for 20.00. At least in north bay.

I just bouught a quaker state, have used it for about 7 hrs on my Minnkota 30lbs and so far still have full power. I was told to nearly kill the battery before charging it... But I'm going to read Roys link before I take further advice from acquaintances

The "smart" eliminator charger is on sale at CT tomorrow for 20.00. At least in north bay.

I just bouught a quaker state, have used it for about 7 hrs on my Minnkota 30lbs and so far still have full power. I was told to nearly kill the battery before charging it... But I'm going to read Roys link before I take further advice from acquaintances

is this the one?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/Batteries/BatteryChargers/PRD~0111506P/MotoMaster+Eliminator+Intelligent+Battery+Charger%2C+2A.jsp?locale=en

Ezactly. Im on my way out the door to get the sale price.. I paid full price just last week.

Seems to be more of a maintenance type charger, Chad. Great for keeping your battery topped up, but, will take forever to charge it if you run it low.

Seems to be more of a maintenance type charger, Chad. Great for keeping your battery topped up, but, will take forever to charge it if you run it low.

For the many hours of use I get from a full charge, I don't mind waiting 24 hrs or more for re-charging. If its not charged yet, just pull out the paddles hahaha.

Well....for your information, your battery is not a deep cycle battery so any battery charger will work fine. Deep cycle batteries are not rated in how many amps of cranking power they have. They are rated in how minutes of reserve capacity. Also....a normal sized deep cycle battery cannot give you 750 amps of cranking power. Only a starting battery can do that.

I was told to nearly kill the battery before charging it...

No! The guy who told you this... does he sell batteries? ;)

To get the best life from deep cycle batteries, never discharge them below 50%. when you buy the battery, "Upsize" so you don't need that bottom 50% and you'll love the battery for many years.

No! The guy who told you this... does he sell batteries? ;)

To get the best life from deep cycle batteries, never discharge them below 50%. when you buy the battery, "Upsize" so you don't need that bottom 50% and you'll love the battery for many years.

Thanks! After reading Roy's link I reassessed and put on my trickle charger. My deep cycle is 24hr reserve, so it's got more than enough for my 30lbs MinnKota

I picked up a Deep Cycle battery from Costco (750 cranking amps, 115 AP) to use with my Minn Kotta 30lb and just looked over the manual for my Motomaster Eliminator charger and as I never charged a battery other than AA and AAA before :blush: I wanted to hear from people who use them a lot. Manual warns about the danger of explosive gasses, battery exploading and things like that. Now I live in an apartment, is it safe to charge it in my living room? Manual said it needs to be done in well ventilated areas or should I put it out on the balcony? Also is it really that dangerous to have a smoke when you're on the boat with a battery aboard? I was going to get a small cooler and keep the battery in it when I'm on the boat to keep it dry, is that a good idea or does it need to be out? So are these things really that dangerous or it's just lawyer talk?

BTW how long do these batteries keep their charge before dropping to say below 80% when put away fully charged?

Also, how long should I expect my Minn Kotta run for on that battery if I use 3-4 speed?

My 30lb minn kota tells me on top of the motor,approximate running hours on all the different speeds.

Thanks! After reading Roy's link I reassessed and put on my trickle charger. My deep cycle is 24hr reserve, so it's got more than enough for my 30lbs MinnKota

batteries should not be charged on trickle charge

maybe if your battery never gets under 85% fully charged, but even then I would want to bulk charge it now and then