Boat Modefication - Casting Deck, Floor and Removal of Bench Seats

mattyk

Hi Every one

I'm looking for some advice on modifying my boat. I have a 14.5 ft deep v tinny and I want to remove the bench seats and add in a floor and a casting deck. I would like to also add a front trolling motor and a compartment for the battery. Any advice on resources available on the the web or pictures of projects that anybody has done? This might be a silly question to some but how do I remove the bench seats?

boat1.jpg

boatseat.jpg

Hi Every one

I'm looking for some advice on modifying my boat. I have a 14.5 ft deep v tinny and I want to remove the bench seats and add in a floor and a casting deck. I would like to also add a front trolling motor and a compartment for the battery. Any advice on resources available on the the web or pictures of projects that anybody has done? This might be a silly question to some but how do I remove the bench seats?

Number one advice, the bench seats are part of the integral structure of the hull. You take them out and it's like a lobster, without a shell, everything becomes floppy. If anything use the front bech as part of the structure for the casting deck. Friend of mine did what you want to do and ended up putting a wicked crack/fracture in the lower hull from flexing. Your boat, be careful.

From the front bench forward i built a small casting platform. High enough to fit the fuel tank underneath. Is by far one of the best mods you can do to a tinny. Less weight in the back, get on plane faster, and when your by yourself you can stay on plane with no porposing. Like others have said, leave the benches in, they are what make the structure strong. Ill see if i can find some pics.

Made the lower frame out of 2x2 spruce. The platform is made from 3/4" marine plywood covered in marine carpet. completely removable. The fuel tank slide in and lays half under the front bench, half under the platform.

Hope this helps

Luke

I documented my reno here, maybe 3yrs ago. Just tried looking for the thread to no avail. Could be because im on my phone. Pimp my Lund was the title, if i recall.

I would hesitate to remove the middle seat. But you might be able to move it back without affecting the strength of the hull. Call the manufacturer and see what they think? Personally, id deck the whole thing right up to that bench. Theres never enough deck space.

Don't remove the seats. Besides losing strength, you will also lose the foam that ma keep you afloat if you flood the boat. Here is mine. I just redecked it.

Front deck is supported by a 2x4 frame and is on a pian hinge, the whole thing comes up.

The rear has a livewell installed under one and the gas tank area has a hinged deck.

I also took the time to convert to side console versus tiller. Way more comfy to cruise in a console.

lund2-1.jpg

lund-2.jpg

lund3.jpg

Edited by jedimaster

My 2 cents...seats are 100% structural. The side walls will flex and vibrate under motor load especially when breaking waves. Now as far as the trolling motor setup, spend a few bucks on wire ( 6 gauge I think) and mount the battery at the very back. Add a inexpensive MinnKota quick disconnect up on the bow for your electric. Having a fuel tank up front is great for weight distribution but batteries not so much. They don't like the jarring effect from pounding waves.

As has been said, don't remove the middle bench without adding some kind of support to maintain the hull integrity.

My first boat was a 16' Grumman utility that had been modified by the previous owner with decks, floor, side console, etc. The middle bench had been removed with no support added. It looked great when I bought it, but within a few years the boat was constantly taking on water. It took awhile to figure it out, but the hull was literally splitting open along the console side, right at the floor line. When I saw the extent of the damage, the crack was at least 4 feet long and I thanked my lucky stars that the boat didn't actually rip itself apart out on the lake.

The boat was scrap at that point.