Custom wood sign for cottage.

d_paluch

Hey everyone!

With the recent passing of my beloved grandma, my mother and aunt used their share of her savings that was left after funeral costs and purchased a cottage on fox island on lake simcoe...its what she would want them to do with the money, have fun and not pay off bills.

The cottage is ours August1, and my moms birthday is August 3rd. I would love to get a custom wooden sign made with my grandma's name on it, and we have decided on 'Bessie's Landing'.

Anyways that is why I came here. I have googled a bunch but just wanted some of your experiences and maybe one of you talented folks even do such art.

Not sure of exact dimensions, but the sign would be either hung from the front of the cottage, or placed in the ground via a post on the land near waters edge and would be visable from a reasonable distance.

This would mean a whole lot to my mom and would probably bring tears to her eyes.

You guys have any input or connections??

Thanks!

My wife did them years ago she would use bark trimmings from a saw mill and hand paint them stain them they were awesome.

If you can find a saw mill see if they sell the scrap usually for fire wood. Then see if you can find someone with a router you can make a nice one this way just router the name in it and burn it with a torch then stain it. It will last for years

I'll inquire...but now you guys are making me think I can do it myself.

Might be pretty rough around the edges, anyone know any place in Oakville/GTA to get a nice piece of wood that would be acceptable for making one of these? I'll google around to try to find a local mill but any tips would be great

I'll inquire...but now you guys are making me think I can do it myself.

Correct, you sure can and it will mean more to your mom that anything else you could buy.

pencil, stencil and router and the other items and you are good to go.

considering it IS a cottage the rough around the edges look should look even better, like it's been there a long time.

Correct, you sure can and it will mean more to your mom that anything else you could buy.

pencil, stencil and router and the other items and you are good to go.

considering it IS a cottage the rough around the edges look should look even better, like it's been there a long time.

For the cost of a router, you really should make it yourself.

S.

Hey everyone!

With the recent passing of my beloved grandma, my mother and aunt used their share of her savings that was left after funeral costs and purchased a cottage on fox island on lake simcoe...its what she would want them to do with the money, have fun and not pay off bills.

The cottage is ours August1, and my moms birthday is August 3rd. I would love to get a custom wooden sign made with my grandma's name on it, and we have decided on 'Bessie's Landing'.

Anyways that is why I came here. I have googled a bunch but just wanted some of your experiences and maybe one of you talented folks even do such art.

Not sure of exact dimensions, but the sign would be either hung from the front of the cottage, or placed in the ground via a post on the land near waters edge and would be visable from a reasonable distance.

This would mean a whole lot to my mom and would probably bring tears to her eyes.

You guys have any input or connections??

Thanks!

Call or PM Ryan, his Dad may be able to set you up

Thank you everyone for your help!

Ended up getting a hookup with my uncles brothers company.

Originally just wanted a simple engraved sign but got a deal and persuaded to go another route!

Thanks for the offer on the wood HTHM! Very kind of you. Thanks again and I still may try my hand at a DIY. Might be a fun project, and simple (Haha) according to those YouTube videos.

Take care guys!