Camping with on site water access?

hotsky

I've been to a few campsites in SW ON and been going to Long Point exclusevly for the last 2 years because of the quality sandy beach and swimming value. Now that I started fishing like a mad man I'd like to find a good park with in 2hours of Hamilton that is adjacent to water so I don't have to leave the site to do some fishing, and just have a couple of lines in the water all day long. Gonefishing.gifI know Guelph and London both have sights right on the lake, where else? What about Danville? I like private sights with lots of trees and cover that are not in a middle of a field.

Thanks!

Just looked it up it's like 5 hour drive! a little too far for a weekend camping getaway.

I've heard of Rock Point but does it actually have sites where you don't have to leave the your site to find water? thats what I'm looking for; literaly a site right on water.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

and just have a couple of lines in the water all day long.

That's good as long as you have a couple of license holders to go with the couple of lines and that the couple of rods in the water all day long are under constant supervision by all license holders.

I don't know the area so I can't help you but have a great time.....that's a really relaxing way to fish.

Just looked it up it's like 5 hour drive! a little too far for a weekend camping getaway.

I've heard of Rock Point but does it actually have sites where you don't have to leave the your site to find water? thats what I'm looking for; literaly a site right on water.

I love big city southern ontario people. I want everything but its gotta be right next door. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Its five hours for me too and I do it all the time. If you want a quality experience you must be willing to sacrifice some time.

No it doesn't have sites on the water at Rock Point.

Ummm, there is one or two sites where the lake is accessible...:whistling: Byng Island also has sites right on the river. Both are close, and both have water, but neither one has produced well for me. They're both a little too crowded for me. The Pinery has a river running through it, and there are some sites with water access, but they are few, and I haven't camped on them. Pinery would be just at your 2 hour limit....

I love big city southern ontario people. I want everything but its gotta be right next door. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Its five hours for me too and I do it all the time. If you want a quality experience you must be willing to sacrifice some time.
I don't mind driving a couple of hours but 5h drive each way is quite expensive and not too practical if I'm just going for a weekend. If I had at least a week it'd be a different story... Like I said I've seen campsites on the water in Guelph and London so figured there has to be some others not too far away. Edited by Gray_Wolf

I'm trying to get around this question and I have one big question. Do you mean that there is nowhere in SW Ontario where you can just pitch a tent or tent trailer near a body of water where there is any fishing?

Where I live, there are thousands of spots to do that. Actually, finding an organized camping spot is a bit difficult and all of them have good fishing. My favourite activity is wilderness camping and fishing. Pretty well all the land is public.

Here in Quebec, we have large areas called 'Controlled Exploitation Zones'. They are non-profit organizations so costs only a few dollars per day to fish in these areas and the camping is free. The fishing is great all over (depends where the zone is situated in Quebec) because each lake is monitored so that no more than 40 to 60% of the catchable fish are removed each year in order to protect the good fishing. As you can imagine, each organization is responsable for it's zone so the fishing does vary from one ZEC to another.

These controlled exploitation zones are situated near large populations. Near enough to allow a person to go in the morning and be able to get home that night. Yet, wilderness camping is free anywhere you can pitch a tent and there are places for those who want to camp for the summer.

Ummm, there is one or two sites where the lake is accessible...:whistling: Byng Island also has sites right on the river. Both are close, and both have water, but neither one has produced well for me. They're both a little too crowded for me. The Pinery has a river running through it, and there are some sites with water access, but they are few, and I haven't camped on them. Pinery would be just at your 2 hour limit....

There are no sites at Rock Point that have waterfront sites. Or any that have water where no one else can be, there are some that have trails to the point or beach but they also connect to trails that everyone else uses.

I used to work at Rock Point and camped there for years.

I'm trying to get around this question and I have one big question. Do you mean that there is nowhere in SW Ontario where you can just pitch a tent or tent trailer near a body of water where there is any fishing?

Where I live, there are thousands of spots to do that.

Same thing with me. With 5 hours travel time, I could be on another planet.

There are no sites at Rock Point that have waterfront sites. Or any that have water where no one else can be, there are some that have trails to the point or beach but they also connect to trails that everyone else uses.

I used to work at Rock Point and camped there for years.

He asked for 'adjacent to the water'. I know there are no sites ON the water, but a 20 yard hike out the back of your site would be about as adjacent as you can get. As for water where no one else can be, it's Lake Erie, I think that goes without saying. His wish list is rather limiting, so I'm just trying to help him find something that will fit his wants...

That's good as long as you have a couple of license holders to go with the couple of lines and that the couple of rods in the water all day long are under constant supervision by all license holders.
Are you saying that I'm as a licensed holder can't use 2 rods when fishing? At very least my GF will be there but she not that interested in fishing.

Why not try 6 mile lake provincial park . Its near north .. you can get there in 2 hours .

There are sites right on the water , and its a very nice park .

I've camped there 3 or 4 times years back , when our ever so brilliant government changed to that stupid 1-800 number to reserve camp sites . I couldn't get a spot at the parks i wanted to go to , because our nieghbours south of the border would reserve sites at 5 or 6 diferent campgrounds 6 months in advance , and then decide which one they were going to camp at when they got here . The cancellation fee was only like 10 bucks , so they didn,t care .

Nothing better than not being able to make a reservation , and having to try your luck at getting one of the first come first serve sites .. and theres none left . Only to find theres 20 - 30 empty sites , which are reserved .. but no show ... urrrggg .

OK .. I'm better now .

Anywho , I passed 6 mile PP every time but never looked at it . When we finally did camp there , it was actually quite nice . We did some canoeing , but never actually fished in there .

And we did see a duck go under water , and never did see it come back up again .

Lochness monster ? Somethin' big in there . Definitly worth trying .

All that nice air up there .. you might need a respirator for when you go back home .