Japanese Beetles invading my yard

fisher

After buying 2 traps last night from Home Depot BUT just before setting them out, I read from numerous sites that putting out these scented traps is a big mistake. It actually attracts beetles from your neighbourhood to head to your backyard and while you will get some/most to die in the trap, some will just use the garden as a buffet and you may end up making the matter worse (currently the beetles are on my grapes and no where else, so I would hate to have others come and attack my other plants).

To prove how effective it is in bringing these beetles in, check out this video...crazy the amount of beetles the trap can attract.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY9vuFVc3FU

So, I just went out during lunch and bought some Bug B Gone as suggested by another poster and will try that tonight.

Edited by fisher

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with these beetles. I am in Woodbridge and they invaded my grape vine. About 50% of the leaves have been chewed and skeletonized before I noticed what was happening.

Last night I spent 2 hours picking them off my vines and have no doubt there are going to be more when I get back home tonight.

Any ideas?

Online they say that picking them off works best and using the beetle traps that they sell at Home Depot which gives off an attractant scent is actually a bad thing because it will attract beetles from all over the neighbourhood into my backyard and make things worse.

I recently visited my grand father in Gravenhurst and he has had issues with them over the past few years, but this year he found out how to prevent them from damaging his trees and shrubs.

This is what the trap looks like. Google search "japanese bettle trap" and I'm sure you can find some in your area.

http://kollegiatelawn.ca/siteimages/Japanese%20Beetle%20Trap.jpg

It is a hormone trap and they can't escape from it. When it gets full you just drown the beetles and put it back up. When I was there, I saw at least 20 or so beetles flying around each one. This was in addition to about 50 in the trap. He empties it once every day or so (whenever it gets full).

He has just over half an acre and I believe has 3 set up. He can't say enough good things about them.

*edit* added link

Edited by GreenCanada

The Hormone traps work great, if you set them on the outer edges of the property. The japanese beetle comes in from neighbouring properties homing in on the scents of plants and flowers. The hormone trap triggers reproductive attraction.

I have used them with great success in protecting commercial nurseries, berry farms and garden centres.

You must empty the traps every day.

Spraying the grapes with Ortho, Bug B Gone, etc,,, may not be advisable, if you plan on eating the grapes.

Interesting you say that Fred as a neighbor just told me wife recently that marigolds planted in a vegetable garden would keep bugs away.

Its been our belive Lew that they were to keep rabbits out of the garden more so then bugs ............

I have had them this year for the first time ever- they are destructive especially on new rosebush growth.

I did read that if you catch them, to put them in a pail of suds and water, which serves to 1. Kill them, 2. Give off a bad smell to repel others. I have this nasty bug brew near my rosebush for 2 weeks now, and since I did that, their numbers have dwindled. With that said, find another couple daily. They're a nuisance, and destructive.

For the record, I have caught at least a couple hundred, and haven't been bitten by one, either- whew!