Paris dam fish sanctuary?

Rich

I noticed for the first time when at the paris dam that there is a sanctuary in place for october/november. Ive never caught anything but rock bass, catfish and smallies there.. Saw the odd walleye around.. Just wondering if anyone knows what the sanctuary is in place to protect? Nothing spawns at that time of year that i know of, so it seems strange.

Nice! I saw the definite trout potential in my last trip there. There was one good 6lb brown that kept swimming pretty much between my legs and sitting near me, like he was keeping watch, lol. Wouldn't eat anything I brought, but the smallie fishing was alright.

No worries. Hopefully the whiners won't accuse me of ruining the Grand Steelhead fishery after posting it. :whistling:

That was a fantastic read! I had no idea of the #'s involved in the Grand here in Brantford..I have never tried steelheading in the Grand..I may start now..Thanks for posting that..Did you write that article? If so great job!

That was a fantastic read! I had no idea of the #'s involved in the Grand here in Brantford..I have never tried steelheading in the Grand..I may start now..Thanks for posting that..Did you write that article? If so great job!

No, I can't take credit for the article. It was authored by Larry Halyk of The Wellington County Stewardship

Council (also formerly an MNR biologist).

Edited by wallacio

No, I can't take credit for the article. It was authored by Larry Halyk of The Wellington County Stewardship

Council (also formerly an MNR biologist).

And the man responsible for bringing Brown trout to the Upper Grand. A great guy and an actual biologist who fishes hardcore.

Great read indeed. Some day I'll have to recant a story to you about (likely) the first Rainbows ever to visit Whitemans Creek. whistling.gif

The first year the dam at the mouth of Whiteman's was removed My buddy and I absolutely hammered them from Rest Acres Rd down to the Grand on the closing weekend in September. It was awesome and totally virgin.

The first year the dam at the mouth of Whiteman's was removed My buddy and I absolutely hammered them from Rest Acres Rd down to the Grand on the closing weekend in September. It was awesome and totally virgin.

If you don't mind my asking, what year would that be?

Fall of 90 or 91 can't recall for sure. Rainbows had been leaking past the dam for years.

Thank you.

The first year I caught rainbows in Whitemans was 1974 or 1975.

I stood on the bridge with a CO friend who had a truck load of several thousand dumped in.

After giving them time to acclimatize and spread out we then fly fished and go figure, my first fish was a 19" Brown. thumbsup_anim.gif

I've always suspected that those were indeed the first rainbows in the creek. dunno.gif