The sweetest thing

Out4Trout

A long weekend, calling for hot and sunny, blue skies, high pressure atmosphere, and windy. It was a beautiful day, don't let it get away...

A Beautiful Day

2012_06_30_000_Beautiful_Day.jpg

Exactly the conditions that traditionally will shut down the laker bite. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to dial

in the lakers under these tough conditions? A challenge, and I was interested.

Primary mission du jour was to test out the newly installed sonar unit. Dual transducers installed, so that I can run two units, one at 83khz and one at 200khz. The secondary challenge was to dial in some trout under non-optimal conditions. So the plan was coming together.

Dual Transducers

2012_06_30_001_xdcr.jpg

Started by cruising around various depths figuring out the settings on the new sonar, to get the right sensitivity. Previous finder could reliably see my jig or spoon down to 80ft, and the new unit didn't disappoint once I had played with it for a while. Enjoyed the new sonar unit and especially the colour display. Sensitivity is now set as good as my previous, but with additional resolution and easier to read with the bigger screen, even in the sunlight.

New Sonar

2012_06_30_002_Sonar.jpg

Next I needed to determine if any trout were feeding... and where. Exactly what I was expecting to find under these conditions - the majority of the trout marked were right there... at the top of the bottom, on the edge of the known universe where they wanted to be...

At the top of the bottom

2012_06_30_003_top_of_bottom.jpg

The challenge now, there must be some that are feeding despite the conditions, and I just need to find them. Where do we go from here...

Slipped into a bay that I have marked shadballs on a recent outing. Figured if I find the shad, if there are any trout feeding, that's where they'll be. Eventually a small shad school was found, with several trout feeding....And you give yourself away :)

Shad Ball at 37ft

2012_06_30_004_shad.jpg

But I still haven't found, what I'm looking for...where was the big school of shad?

Finally, BINGO!! The trout were gorging...and lots of em. :o

Found what I'm looking for

2012_06_30_005_Found.jpg

Now that I was on top of the shad, I had to jig a spoon through the mix. Sure, I could troll through instead, but more fun parking on top and jigging, the full experience of the hit. Not easy with the wind, but last season I figured out a lure / drop weight combo to allow jigging vertical even in a 1mph drift, ideal for exactly these conditions.

Rigged up, drifting, thinking... Did I ask too much? More than a lot, You gave me nothing, Now it's all I got... About 8 minutes into the drift game and the line went tight on the drop - the first fish was on. A feisty fella too, he came up fighting. ...One...

Don't give up without a fight

2012_06_30_006_Fight.jpg

...begging to get back, begging to get back.. To the rhythm that yearns To be released from control

The moment of surrender

2012_06_30_007_Surrender.jpg

A critical factor in sustainable summer laker fishing is to get em back quickly. 74 deg water would feel to a trout like a 200 deg oven to us. As each trout was caught, they were released boatside and returned to the water immediately. Another one on, out and in quick, tail wave back to the deep.

More jig-jig-jig when THUMP, the 3rd laker caught pounded and fought hard. This one made my day, feeling every headshake and even slipped the drag a few zips. It was the sweetest thing... :)

Thanks for the fight bud

2012_06_30_008_Best_of_morning.jpg

Two more trout, a pair of smallmouth, a successful end to 1/2 day on the water. The new sonar now setup, 5 trout and 2 bonus smallies had come boatside. The challenge was interesting.

I hope U2 had a great weekend on the water. ;)

Cheers

O4T B)