Anywhere to rent a canoe/boat on Niagara river?

hotsky

I'd like to heard down to Niagara river in late summer/fall to fish for muskies since it's the closest place to me (Hamilton) where you can find them. Figured a small fishing boat or even a canoe would help a lot.

I have a couple questions tho; can you find them everywhere on the river esp closer to lake Ontario by Niagara on the Lake? If so does anyone know of a place there that rents boats?

thanks!

I've been told not to fish muskies from a canoe just because it's hardnto care for them properly in that small space, but if you wanted the canoe anyways I rented a canoe from this place under the QEW bridge in Hamilton, I forget the name but it was really good, they included tie down, showed us how to tie it down and tried to give us advice on where to go with it.

I have to agree with those who have posted before me. Canoe is out of the question.

I spend 3-4 nights a week on the lower river, and i wouldnt ever try it in a canoe.

Also, I have never heard of anyone renting boats on the river, or near the river on either Lake O or Lake Erie

Edited by Luke V.

Instead of renting a boat, have you considered a guide/charter. Look up Niagara Sportfishing(Frank DiMarcantonio) or Cast Adventures(Paul Castellano). Although they will cost more than renting, your chances of getting into musky will increase dramatically. The musky tend to bigger on the lower but not as many of them. You would probably do better fishing the upper river. I would not even think of fishing either from a canoe but that is just me.

That waterway is a busy spot for lots of boats------remember some of those great lake size boats make a fair wake---and "Some" boaters lack in etiquette

Speaking from experience----Back in late 80's---me in my 14 footer on St Mary's river in Soo and yachts showing how close they could get to the fisherman

I think that guide service would be your best choice in that water

That waterway is a busy spot for lots of boats------remember some of those great lake size boats make a fair wake---and "Some" boaters lack in etiquette

Speaking from experience----Back in late 80's---me in my 14 footer on St Mary's river in Soo and yachts showing how close they could get to the fisherman

I think that guide service would be your best choice in that water

Was out yesterday and had the same experience on the lower river. Im in a 14 footer Deep V. there were lots of 20-30 foot cruisers running up and down the river. They come within 20 feet of your boat and dont care at all. Thankfully the trolling motor was down to steer the bow into the wake. Otherwise it would have been messy.

Lol, other than border crossing I've never been on Niagara river... I guess if there's lots of motor boats canoe would not be fun at all. Getting a big fish out of the water wouldn't be easy, but I've seen videos on youtube of people doing it and it looked doable, not ideal of course. I guess it would be too easy for people to illegally to cross over the boarder if they rented motor boats, didn't think of that. :mellow:

Getting a charter/guide would be nice but I cant afford that right now. How realistic would be to fish from the shore?? and where?

There are some spots on the canadian side to fish from shore on the lower river. None of these are real secrets at all.

You can fish the whirlpool, queenston boat launch, there are a few spots u can stop at along the parkway and walk down to a beach like area. (have to do some searching on those is see them on the water all the time, can never really find the spot to hike down) In old town if you do some walking along the shore there are spots to fish. Avoid the yaught club, they dont like anyone near there precious boats :blahblah1:

If you spend an afternoon searching and drivin around there are likely a dozen spots to shore fish the lower river. Get out there and get you line wet!

To tell you the truth, I dont actually fish for muskie down on the lower, the numbers seem to be low, so I have never tried. The upper river has better numbers but getting them from shore will be tough. If you want to summer fish, bass and eyes along with pan fish can be caught from shore, in the spots i mentioned above. Fall will be different I think this year as its already so warm, surface water temp is 74f as of yesterday. So who knows what the fall will bring. You just never know until you try.

Tight lines,

Luke

Best bet for the lower is the whirlpool. (from shore). As mentioned, if you are lookin for your first ski, the upper is a better bet. Talk to someone from a tackleshop (Grimsby tackle) to set yourself up with the proper gear. Large nets( so the fish stays in the water while you unhook it) good strong hook cutters (knipex) to cut hooks on fish hooked near gills/eyes, or just to make it easier to get out. Long pliers, possibly jaw spreaders. Braided line 65-80 lb test with a heavy action rod. Not as easy to just go out and target Musky without risking harm to the fish.

As top of the food chain, and big mean fish, they are actually big wussies. Out of water time should be kept to a minimum. (as long as it takes to snap a pic or 2. Have your release tools/ camera ready to go so you are prepared when you catch a fish. Always hold a Musky( or any large fish

) horizontally, and support its weight by cradling the belly. Not recommended from a canoe, and especially not in the Niagara... Currents are to unpredictable.

If you have the proper gear to target them, pm me, and Ill give you some tips on lures, and type of structure to fish.

Be warned, Musky fishing is highly addictive, and can cost you a lot of money....

If your going to fish musky from a canoe which I've done in the past(yesterday in fact) and will again in the future when you hook up pull immediately to shore for release and pics much easier on you and the fish.

Here's our best 48" from a canoe

Brad1.jpg

If you arent close to shore, where is the fish when you are paddling ? Nice ski btw!